Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old August 23rd, 2022, 01:06 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape 2nd Edition is here!

As others have already observed, the notes accompanying this tease reference "Haukeland." Haukeland is an island already on the map of Valhalla.

As I promised way back when I interviewed with Sir H. on the day of this announcement, those of you who want lore will get it.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 23rd, 2022, 01:10 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Here's some fun stuff from the various Discords:
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encarmine
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Cpt. Stupendous
Quote:
... has anyone done the research the the Dawn Raider Widow reveal to see she is also a Earthborn historical character as well as Bonny?
Still no one talking about that Genghis Khan quote
You’re the first one to catch it @Cpt. Stupendous. I guess I’m hiding the breadcrumbs too well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Ulysses
Okay, wild speculation part II: With Pirate Queen Bonny almost certainly being historical pirate Anne Bonny, do we think 'The Widow' could be historical pirate Zheng Yi Sao/Ching Shih who looks to be perhaps the world's most successful female pirate and who was also written about by famous author Jorge Luis Borges in his short story 'The Widow Ching'?
The Widow Ching Shih (Zheng Yi Sao)

The War Council worked hard incorporating historical pirate captains of note into the Dawn Raiders. There is a lot of solid work in there for the history buffs.

Also an amazing resource of powerful, noteworthy and illustrious female personalities to incorporate into the brand.
Quote:
The informal discourse of the community is all good food for thought, and results in healthy conversation back in the studio. General consensus and a large majority standing behind a unified opinion have a direct effect on the overall strategy of our brands. We do listen to the fan community and opinions/feedback of players, (almost the entire team is here hiding in the shadows and lurking/listening) and that conversation drives review and further discussion for future development (keeping in mind we work about 2 years ahead of retail launches). The direction of a brand like Heroscape is actually heavily based on the wishes and dreams of this community over the last decade. While you may be looking at parts and pieces in a teaser format on the Discord, the overarching marketing strategy and direction of Design & Development are an amalgamation of years of the community’s general input into a pool of “what if” and “bucket list”. While that might not yield a result to satisfy every single solitary perspective and opinion, the net result should feel familiar to the general requests of the overall wishes of the active and vocal player base. Also, rest assured, Hasbro has the infrastructure and personnel to properly curate and inform consumer behaviors and seek out consumer insights for the appropriate demographics, that process also yields valuable data to help develop a business strategy that works to ensure we are moving the business in the correction direction for our brands. On the other side, a formal request for affirmation, inclusion, 3rd party development, request for fan generated content to be accepted as canon or “official”, will typically be ignored by the team by design, as it can create potential legal issues, and is better handled through very specific channels that are designed to protect inventors and creators on both sides.

It is recognized by the team that a group of dedicated and passionate fans helped keep this community alive for years with fan generated content, and that drove our decision to form the War Council and bring those people into the circle to help relaunch the brand and for that we greatly appreciate that talent supplementing the Avalon Hill team in an official capacity. For everyone on this Discord, know your voices are heard, you have a DIRECT connection to the team without filters, and that is something very new and different for Hasbro as a whole, you are blazing trails everyone.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles
it would be amazing if there was a premium edition that was painted. I’d surely pay extra.
Not the first time we’ve heard that comment. There are considerable logistics and cost associated with an initiative like that. It will come down to simple arithmetic: do we apply the team’s resources, budget and time into producing a premium edition with X volume for X amount of consumers interested, or are those resources, budget and time better spent producing more new items that appeal to a larger amount of consumers and therefore can generate a higher volume of units sold. At the end of the day, Hasbro is a business and Avalon Hill will only exist as long as it’s profitable. Yes, it’s a fan-focused business, but there still needs to be enough fans willing to purchase the item to make it viable to manufacture.

I’ll give you example to ponder, purely rhetorical: if the price to develop was identical, would you rather: get 2 options of the same unit, painted and unpainted? Or. 2 different unique units unpainted? (Yes you can only choose one) therefore literally halfing the overall size of the product line to incorporate painted options for purchase at a steep premium online.
Looks like there may be more on the Avalon Hill server; I'll troll through there next.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old August 23rd, 2022, 01:12 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

First of all, if Encarmine says it, then it's true. Second, as to the middle quote block, all I can say is that what he's saying reflects my own experience as someone working on the inside.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 23rd, 2022, 01:27 PM
Upset City Baby!

brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

With the "this is not shiori" comment, I'm guessing at a pledge exclusive extra of all new flag bearers that are composed of OG's, and that'd be the only retreads of old figures for a few years anyway.

Upset City Baby.
Old August 23rd, 2022, 01:31 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Phew! Encarmine has had a lot to say the last few days.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Coolpat
So assuming today is an ironclad hero day, do we think it’s going to be something from concept art we’ve seen or something completely new? I kinda want to know more about Gause Rifle on the head guy or Gengar… and there’s also the taskmaster lady on the left… so many questions so few answers
Completely new.
Quote:
I think I hear some sounds from far off in the tree line…
More like crashing through the underbrush.
As a frenzied stampede of woodland creatures flee before it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Boromir96
Ents?
Yes, even the guardians of the forest dread it’s mere presence…
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by @AkumaOuja
I will confess that I'm somewhat less interested in these factions that I could be, mainly because I'm wondering where the Generals' Armies are. At the risk of seeming rude, as excited as I am to see Heroscape is back I'm mainly excited because it's Heroscape, I'm not really interested in everything being replaced by another morass of Warhammer or Warmahordes-esque factions unrelated to what was kind of one of the core concepts of the setting, IE the armies of assorted monsters, men, and machines from across space and time here to fight The Battle of All Time under warring Valkyrie generals, and other than a random Marro and a bit of art of a Primadon there's been rather little in that regard.

It's just a touch concerning I guess and I'm wondering if it's a concern shared by anyone else or if maybe I've missed some content somewhere, I suppose.
Maybe join @TalesOfValhallaOfficial this week and discuss this: LORE DISCUSSION WEEK 2 - Consider those left behind. The legends and myths, glimpses of the divine in the skies on the eve of battle. Winged figures in the heavens looking down on the carnage of war, and flashes of light and the raw energy of the cosmos flickering across your sight as your greatest warriors are lost without a trace. Think of the campfire stories, the epic sagas of those who witnessed the acts of “gods” before their eyes. We call them angels, we proclaim them demons. We give the forms in the clouds names like Zeus, Odin, Shiva, Horus, Quetzalcoatl… but they are not of this world. They are something else, no less powerful, but from another place, another time. When the flash of lightning has faded, we sing songs of faraway realms, of eternal war, where our sisters and brothers raise swords for causes greater than our own, we speak of Valhalla, we call it Ragnarok. (Why would we abandon the magic of our brand? This is not a reboot, but a new dawn, one displaying a sunrise of ominous crimson red and blackened skies of portent.)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Lord Taytertot
Im curious if we can expect to see everything from the concept art all in the new master set, or if its all master set + wave 1 kind of stuff
We’re not getting a “master set” in the traditional sense. What exactly that means, we don’t know yet.
No you don’t mauahahahah ��
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by @jcustar07
@Encarmine are we going to have to put these minis together?
No sprues.

To give a more detailed answer. There may be some instances, like the “Dryan Dragon” that may require it get shipped as two pieces and require you to connect the wings to the body, but that is about it. Again, accessibility is an important aspect of Avalon Hill and we want both gamers and hobbyists to see opportunity and value in our games.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by @arend
@Encarmine any information you can give on general unit point costs for the new age of annihilation figures? I know compatibility with old sets has been confirmed as a focus area - are these new units/armies still somewhat geared towards fitting into the more traditional 500 point tourney army?
No information yet, but I’m sure the Heroscape War Council has things we’ll in hand.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by @ZZM Armory
@Encarmine This may be a little off topic but would Avalon Hill ever considered "guest" Designers of like terrain expansions? I have been working over a year now on 3D printed terrain for another game as a fan, with over 5 years of 3D modeling experience in the Automotive field. Would love to work on something official for my childhood game (:
I think the whole Heroscape War Council concept probably covers the subject well.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by @In-Vidir-Us
@Encarmine Of everything revealed so far, what has been your favorite?
You haven’t seen them yet.

“Pirate Queen Bonny” was a great concept project, working historicals into the Dawn Raiders with a proper vibe and a broader sense of diversity. “The monster hunters” helped set a great tone with the Dawn Raiders, and gave us a location in the product line to dabble in species that don’t yet have larger definition. Sonlen was an excellent proof of concept and helped drive good conversation in the studio, particularly behind the push and pull of existing characters.
Quote:
Quote:
I'm very curious to see how the official paint schemes are gonna be for the Dawn Raiders. I feel like yellow/tan sandy color is gonna be their primary, but that could just be cause that is the color of the concept art pages ��
You may notice in the concept art that everyone in the Dawn Raiders have a rag placed somewhere on their form, to provide a unifying element to paint in the color of your choice and unit your scheme regardless of the differences in form.
Quote:
Our primary objectives are to ruin the game for everyone, **** off all existing fans, ruin their childhoods, and forever tarnish all aspects of the game.
Or
To make sure you all love this.
Your guess ��

--
--
--

--
Old August 23rd, 2022, 01:35 PM

Justin The Critic is surprisingly tart

Love the feather cape on the new wizard, when I saw the concept art I was hoping for a new tribesmen for my Mohicans. This Dryan Lifeborn order with their nature theme would be a great opportunity add another tribesman and expand the usefulness of the MRT. I'm also thrilled with yesterday's update as I may finally be getting the centaurs I've wanted since Brunak was released. August 2022 has been the best month of my life. Long live Heroscape!

If you can accept losing, you can't win -
Vince Lombardi
Old August 23rd, 2022, 01:35 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
As others have already observed, the notes accompanying this tease reference "Haukeland." Haukeland is an island already on the map of Valhalla.

As I promised way back when I interviewed with Sir H. on the day of this announcement, those of you who want lore will get it.
If no one else wants lore, know that you can bring it all to me and I will eat it up!

I'm eager to learn about the goings-on in Haukeland. The Dryan Lifeborne Order is by far my favorite new faction, and I look forward to learning more about the state of Valhalla in general: whether or not the generals are still relevant, how the new factions are arriving in Valhalla, if there are new wellsprings and/or new entities (beyond the generals) vying for control of the wellsprings.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old August 23rd, 2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
And I found a few more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness
typical Saturday for me, adding more detail to sculpts, tweaking powers.

I'll give you the quick version. we brainstorm where we want to go with the new story, we draw lots of cool sketches. we pick the awesome ones to sculpt, then we work with our talented sculpting team to bring the sketches into the 3D world. we refine and make sure we can tool the figure while striving for a high level of detail.

we work as team, we all want the same level of excellence, so we all kick in to make things better

it is a little different this time, back in the early days, we did not want a ton of detail because we new we would have to paint it. Some figures had details like Sonlen, others were purposely simple to keep paint prices down
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Heropileofgifs
Craig is shocked that we actually can put good ideas down
I keep a discord list, I think the first one on it is Grut Mammoth Rider
Quote:
I ALSO also found a few nuggets from DS that I didn't see him post here on 'Scapers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper
Quote:
They haven’t said anything about new terrain
That’s not the same as there not being any. That’s just not saying. 😈
Regarding the Dryan Lifeborn Order:
Quote:
As I just posted on 'Scapers, you've already seen that the pirates have an intricate internal bonding relationship.
There is some internal synergy in this faction, but it's pretty straightforward and there isn't much of it.
You are looking at a world in which there are powerful wizards, operating independently from each other.
. . . I should be clear that, when I say "independently from each other," I'm talking about the gameplay. Not the story, which I am not at liberty to discuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Cpt. Stupendous
This is really exciting to hear. I love tight synergy webs within a faction, but I'm also glad that there are also factions with some looser synergies (which presumably can lead to more options in terms of armybuilding?)
That variety was important. You'll see some new types of synergy, some old synergy, and some non-synergy.
And regarding people concerned about the minute change in scale:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbizzy
I haven't kept up with the news this week but I just watched Tabletop Bro's most recent update video and he mentioned that 2.0 figures will be on a somewhat larger scale (similar to other tabletop games)

Does anybody know if we've gotten more info on this?
What the hell?

Heroscape has had its own slight variations in mini scale over time. I am not aware of anything that would confirm or reject this particular claim, though.

Everything will be backward compatible. The terrain, the minis, etc.

I am looking at images of new minis, all next to good ole' Sgt. Drake Alexander for scale. People should not be worried about compatibility.

D&D 'Scape used actual D&D minis, and the scale (with some noticeable exceptions) didn't seem to be a problem.

Ok. I have held prototype minis for this game in my hand and not noticed a difference. Perhaps some will, but I did not. Heck, the C3V has used D&D minis for years and I haven't seen a scale problem.

As I said, Heroscape itself had a slight variation in scale over its years of official production. I am hopeful that people will not, once they have the minis for this game in hand, find that it's distracting. If there is a difference at all.

The level of detail is more consistent with the higher quality of good modern minis games.
The minis are amazing.

FWIW, and I haven't watched, if there was a misunderstanding of something that Chris said at the GenCon booth, it wouldn't be the first one I've seen. GenCon is loud and exhausting and there is sometimes a slight gap between the question asked and the answer answered. I do know that it was a deliberate choice to go in the direction of modern, detailed minis this time, and it may be that that's what he was talking about. I don't know.

There is also variation within the universe of D&D minis, too, which unfortunately is reflected in the Death Knights sculpts, in 'Scape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates
If you hold the Tarn Viking Warriors up next to D&D figures (Heroscape or otherwise) you will notice a difference in scale. It's not huge, it's not a major issue for gameplay or anything. But it is a difference.
I believe you, but D&D and Heroscape are both inconsistent internally, so I don't see what the issue is.
If new 'Scape will be consistent with Heroscape sizing conventions, forgiving as those conventions are, then I think that's the end of the inquiry.
PHEW! That's all I'm going to copy over today. I spent way more of my workday on this than I intended to.

--
--
--

--
Old August 23rd, 2022, 02:02 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Today's designer's notes!
Quote:
DESIGNER'S NOTES - DAY 015 - "THAT SOUND OF FOOTFALLS IN THE DISTANCE IS HEADING RIGHT FOR US!!!" The Scion of the Wild bows not before the belligerent city dwellers, instead lashing out with the primal anger of the many snarling beasts that fight beside him in combat. He has become one with the pack, understanding the instincts of nature’s raw power better than any of other Dryan magi in the Order. With a powerful magical staff forged by the mighty Volarak of Haukeland, the Scion of the Wild bends the beasts of Arboreas to his will, and drives forth a raging stampede of claws, horns and fangs to battle against his adversaries.
Can't wait to see this dude's powers. Instantly one of my favorite Heroes.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 23rd, 2022, 02:09 PM

BGG_Bear is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post

I want to know who this "Volarak" is, mentioned in relation to Haukeland. A new general perhaps?
Old August 23rd, 2022, 04:31 PM

Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
PHEW! That's all I'm going to copy over today. I spent way more of my workday on this than I intended to.
I just can't +rep you enough for this priceless compilation, but thank you for your hard work!

Take a look at my custom
Take a look at my map
Some thoughts on Drafting Treasure Glyphs
Old August 23rd, 2022, 06:24 PM

fastbilly1 knows what's in an order marker fastbilly1 knows what's in an order marker

I feel bad for Encarmine if he is actually keeping a list of the stuff slung around on Discord.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion