Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old May 20th, 2020, 09:59 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 0] Velnesh Alphas (Leyline Phantoms) - Editing

BLINK
After a Velnesh Alpha rolls defense dice against a normal attack from an opponent's figure and is not destroyed, it may use its Shift special power.
Old May 20th, 2020, 10:35 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Looks good to me. Thanks Scytale

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old May 20th, 2020, 09:05 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Added to the OP. I think we talked about it at some point, my bad for not having it in there already.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 20th, 2020, 11:08 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Thread name still says this card is in editing. Are we waiting on a vote still or something?

---

Played a playtest game with my son. He probably didn't use them very well, but I at least noticed the above. I think we're going to swap armies and play again later.

2020-05-19 ext. to 2020-05-20
vs. my son
on Grutsbane Pass

050 Soontir Van
150 Jarek Guy
260 B-11 Resistance Fighters
345 Rendar Fy
540 3xM-43 Resistance Fighters
570 Kira Jax

vs.

100 Velnesh Alphas
360 4xHonor Guard of the Blasted Lands
580 4xNorth-Carolina Sharpshooters

First two rounds saw the Mariedians take most of the high ground as well as one of the move glyphs and the initiative glyph as they blasted at the oncoming Velnesh's
The velnesh's only got one OM but made a lot of progress forward due to Blink. Unfortunately their defense dice didn't hold up, and by the end of the second round there was just one left, holding Wannok.
The next round saw the Sharpshooters trying to blast the Mariedians off the high ground and then the move glyph, while the Mariedians grabbed the second move glyph and returned fire but mostly only succeeded in moving Rendar Fy and Jarek Guy up towards the high ground.
The following round, the Honor Guard made a concerted effort (all 3 OMs) to clear the Mariedians off the high ground. Jarek Guy fired a 2-skull grenade that only took out 1/3 of them, and Rendar Fy couldn't penetrate their defenses despite rolling well. The B-11 were able to take out one Honor Guard that had advanced to cover Wannok, but were otherwise ineffective this round as well.
Rendar Fy opened the next round by killing to adjacent Honor Guard that had encroached on the height. B-11 then rained death, killing two Honor Guard and a Sharpshooter, then another Honor Guard and sharpshooter. The few remaining Honor Guard retaliated by taking out a B-11 who had exposed himself on height.
The Sharpshooters opened the next round by taking out another B-11. Although they chose to set themselves up for a Guy grenade, he only rolled 1 skull and they all blocked. The rest of their attacks were largely ineffectual, but they did clear an M-43 off of one of the move glyphs. Meanwhile, the B-11s whittled down the remaining Honor Guard and Sharpshooters.
The last Sharpshooter opened the round by clearing an M-43 off the other move glyph. Rendar Fy managed to kill off two of the last three Honor Guard on his first Order Marker, leaving the rest of the opponent's army (one figure from each squad) to hold Wannok on the low ground. The B-11 and M-43s finished them off without further casualties.

Velnesh use
Kills: none
Blocks: half a dozen or so; but they all eventually went down to M-43s shooting from height, including the last one, which lasted the whole game holding Wannok
Shift: used on every activation, and with Blink
Blink: used to advance down the map in response to fire from Mariedians

Velnesh notes:
Blink makes the Velnesh feel very fast against range
Blink should probably have a "from an opponent's figure" restriction

--
--
--

--
Old May 22nd, 2020, 11:42 PM

Another playtest; the mirror match I promised. They did a little better in this game, although luck worked against them overall.

2020-05-20 ext. to 2020-05-22
vs. my son
on Grutsbane Pass

caps's kid
050 Soontir Van
150 Jarek Guy
260 B-11 Resistance Fighters
345 Rendar Fy
540 3xM-43 Resistance Fighters
570 Kira Jax

vs.

caps
100 Velnesh Alphas
360 4xHonor Guard of the Blasted Lands
580 4xNorth-Carolina Sharpshooters

Velnesh use:
Kills: 1 wound on Jarek Guy, 2 B-11, Kira Jax (105 points in all)

Blocks: blocked 2/3 skull grenade attacks from Jarek Guy twice, went 1/4 against a 2/4 attack from Rendar Fy and then 0/5 against a 2/4 attack from a B-11, and blocked an attack from Kira Jax
Shift: Used to leap over water, and to leap on to high ground
Blink: Never used; they died to every normal attack they were given except for when they were negated by Kira Jax

The first round saw the Honor Guard develop against a single developing squad of M-43 and a developing OM from Jarek Guy. OM 3 on the M-43 saw them grabbing the move glyph, height, and killing a pair of Honor Guard.
The next round the Honor Guard retaliated by clearing out the lone M-43 that had moved toward Wannok. The M-43 returned fire ineffectually and the Honor Guard cleared two more M-43 away. Jarek Guy ran forward thanks to Valda + Road and bombed the start zone with a pair of grenades, rolling 2/3 twice and killing a total of 3 squads of Sharpshooters, but not harming the two Velnesh or one Honor Guard that were hit. However, in the midst of that, two Sharpshooters were able to move towards the height and put 3 wounds on him.
The next round saw Soontir Van develop and the Velnesh Alphas counter-attack Jarek Guy. Jarek held up against attacks of 2/4, 3/4, and 2/4, taking only 1 wound from the single level ground attack without hitting his Exosuit roll. The M-43 fired ineffectually at the Honor Guard while the Honor Guard couldn't penetrate Guy's defenses and also killed a pair of M-43 that had moved onto the high ground. The M-43 were ineffectual again, but the Honor Guard took out two more M-43 and finished off Jarek Guy.
The following round, the Honor Guard advanced to tie down the oncoming Mariedian back-up force and put two wounds on Soontir Van but were blocked by Jarek Guy. The B-11 moved forward, splitting between the low ground and the high ground and clearing the two Honor Guard off of Wannok island in the process. The Velnesh then moved forward, with one of them Shifting on to the land space in the middle of the river to attack an M-43, and the two others moving along the road for the medium height; they killed one B-11 but were blocked by the M-43 in the water. Rendar Fy took a wound from an LEA passing by an Honor Guard to shoot at and kill the Velnesh in the river. The last two Velnesh killed another B-11 but were blocked by Rendar Fy.
The Honor Guard opened the next round by getting height attacks on Rendar Fy and Soontir Van, killing them both and stealing an OM1. One of them tried to tie down the B-11 in the river, but died to an LEA, and the other two killed the M-43 on the move glyph that killed their moving companion. The B-11 took Wannok and killed the Honor Guard that held the move glyph. The sharpshooters advanced onto the bridge, and OM3 was lost on Rendar Fy. Wannok took out an Honor Guard.
The Sharpshooters moved over and killed the last M-43 standing in the river. Kira Jax moved forward, negating the Velnesh, but couldn't hit it. The Sharpshooters finished off the B-11. Lost OMs on M-43s and B-11s this round.
Kir Jax won initiative and shot at the Velnesh again but whiffed. The Velnesh moved over to strike back, rolling 4/5 to kill her.

Remaining: 4 Honor Guard, 2 Sharpshooters, 1 Velnesh

Velnesh notes:
They struggled this game, but it was mostly bad luck. They felt good all the same and turns with them were exciting. They got to pull some neat tricks out, like leaping over water, and in the end they earned their points (although this is a metric of dubious value in my mind).

--
--
--

--
Old May 30th, 2020, 10:29 AM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Map: Custom using AotP tiles and some elevation in the middle.

Army 1: Velkhor, Badru Wolves x2, Major J15 (400)
Army 2: Velnesh, Sentinels of Grix, Isamu, Ne-Gok-Sa, Krav Maga Agents (400)

Which units survived? Isamu, Negoksa (4 life remaining), 1 Velnesh Alpha

This game was kind of a rout as J’s Krav Maga decimated my Badru from the start and managed to stay out of engagement long enough to kill 4 Badru within the first two turns. Velkhor was actually useful at engaging the Krav and tying them down long enough for J15 to get into position, but it wasn’t enough. The game was closer than it should have been because J15 managed to get lucky, killing both Grix in back to back order markers. However, he was eventually killed by Isamu and the Velnesh polished off the last wolf for the win.

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?

Velkhor: dealt 2 wounds to Krav Maga, 1 wound to Velnesh. Haunted Negoksa which probably allowed J15 to deal a wound to him.
Received 5 wounds from Velnesh.

Velnesh: Dealt 5 wounds to Velkhor, and 1 wound to Badru wolves.
Received 1 wound from Velkhor and 1 wound from J15.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?

Velkhor’s aura continues to only be used very situationally. Also, the more I play with the wolves of Badru the more I realize how, despite my love for them, they just aren’t worth 80 points per squad. I think I need to play some games with Velkhor where I don’t also bring Badru to solidify my feelings about him, but right now I don’t quite think he’s punching worth 145. I think I’d be in favor of reducing his point range by 10-30 points, and also potentially making his spirit only reduce defense by -1 instead of -2. Overall though, I still really enjoy the design. I like the aura and how it really makes you be intentional about positioning and matchups to get the most use out of it.

Turn-by-turn summary:
Spoiler Alert!
Old May 30th, 2020, 10:40 AM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Map: Custom

Army 1: Bahadur, Varkaanan Darkclaws, Varkaanan Greyspears, Marro Warriors, Velnesh Alphas (400; L)
Army 2: SotM Sgt. Drake, M-43 Resistance Fighters x2, Rendar Fy, B-11 Resistance Corps (395)

Which units survived?
Four Marro Warriors, 1 Varkaanan Greyspear

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?

Velnesh dealt 1 wound to Drake. Velnesh received 3 wounds from Drake.

Really this game just goes to show how crazy good the Marro Warriors are in cleanup against single-target heroes. They basically killed SotM Drake by themselves, which they did just by watercloning whenever they lost a warrior, and only attacking on initiative switches when they already had all 4 warriors alive. The Velnesh didn’t do much in terms of damage, mainly because Drake was able to kill two in a row before they could activate due to an initiative switch. Overall they still felt like a fun unit to play, even if this game didn’t highlight them.

Turn-by-turn summary:

Spoiler Alert!
Old June 25th, 2020, 05:23 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

This left Editing a while ago. Please update the title.
Old June 27th, 2020, 07:44 PM

Map: Custom
Spoiler Alert!

Army 1 (L): Avernus, M43 Resistance Fighters x2, Hoplitron, Velnesh (400)
Army 2 (N): Ozuul, Marro Stingers x2, Ne-Gok-Sa

Which units survived?
Army 1 won after N conceded. Army 1 still had 3 Velnesh and Hoplitron. Army 2 had full life Ne-Gok-Sa

N opened with a combination of Stingers and Ozuul. I led with M43 and Avernus. Halfway through the second round I charged Avernus toward N's startzone where he killed three Stingers. The M43 did most of my heavy lifting this game, pinging Ozuul for 6 damage and killing two Stingers. After the Velnesh killed Ozuul, N conceded with only Ne-Gok-Sa left.

Turn-by-turn summary:

Spoiler Alert!

Ozuul killed 4 M43 and dealt 4 wounds to Avernus
Gravity Pull was used several times to engage M43. Despite whiffing several times, Ozuul did use Vortex to kill the last three M43 with a single attack.

Velnesh dealt 2 wounds to Avernus. If the game had been played to completion, they would have most likely dealt the majority of wounds to Ne-Gok-Sa. Shift allowed them grab some height near the end as they were advancing toward Ozuul, but it wasn’t incredibly impactful.

I really like where both of these units are at right now. The Velnesh feel maybe a bit bland, but that could be that in my handful of games with them they’ve never had the opportunity to use BLINK. In a master set I also think it's perfectly fine to have a few units who aren’t crazy exciting.

Ozuul seems really fun. Despite some very poor attack rolls early in the game, he still managed to kill ~163 worth of points (4 wounds on Avernus, 4 M43). Overall I think his price could maybe come down just a bit, but not by much. I need to play with and against him more for sure though to get a feel for it. He seems like he’ll be a little trickier to play to his full potential, which is something I really like. Increasing his movement to 6 could give him more opportunities to get into the optimal position for Gravity Pull. The combination of Gravity Pull and Crushing Vortex is extremely potent (I think of it kind of like a better version of Viceron’s Bloodstorm Ritual Special Attack). Looking forward to trying both of these figures out some more.
Old June 28th, 2020, 04:43 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 0] Velnesh Alphas (Leyline Phantoms) - Playtesting

OP updated, thanks for the reminder.

I've found them a lot of fun when Blinking. Won't happen every game (especially since they need to defend first), but to me that's a good Master Set unit: they can't do everything, but they deliver good theme on what they do.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old July 3rd, 2020, 11:41 PM

Another playtest report from me. As with pretty much all of my playtests so far, take it with a pretty big grain of salt since I am 1) playing against a 7yo and 2) using personal customs (normally a pretty big no-no during serious playtesting).

Quote:
2020-06-17 - cont. through 2020-07-03
Rust and Ruin by Flash_19, scraps format

caps
100 Velnesh Alphas
200 Sentinels of Grax
290 Qui-Gon Jinn
360 Josie Whistlestop

caps's 7yo
180 3xZombies of Morindan
240 Zombie Hulk
360 Kaemon Awa

Round1: Zombie Hulk gets defense T-glyph and puts 1 wound on Qui-Gon Jinn; Zombies mob a sentinel and bring it down; Velnesh Alphas kill 3 Zombies; Kaemon Awa takes a wound disengaging to attack Josie with Quick Release, putting 2 wounds on her

Round2: Josie shoots at Kaemon but misses; zombies move to low ground away from everything; Velnesh engage zombies and kill 2 of them; Zombie Hulk puts 1 wound on Qui-Gon Jinn; Qui-Gon uses Force Instincts to take an OM but fails to hurt the Zombie Hulk; Zombie Hulk kills Qui-Gon

Round3: Kaemon Awa kills Josie Whistlestop, stealing OM1; Kaemon Awa kills a Velnesh; Velnesh kill two more Zombies; Zombie Hulk kills a Velnesh; Sentinels get reconstitution but then both die to Counterstrike

Round4: Velnesh use Recall to bring back a Sentinel; Zombies fail to wound anyone; Sentinels reconstitute and kill a zombie; Zombie hulk fails to kill a sentinel; Sentinels whiff against Kaemon and Zombie losing 1 to Counterstrike; Zombie hulk is blocked by a Syntinel

Round5: Zombie Hulk is blocked by Sentinel; Sentinels reconstitute and put a wound on Zombie Hulk; Kaemon Awa whiffs attacking a Sentinel; Sentinels put 2 wounds on Kaemon and 1 wound on Zombie Hulk; Kaemon Awa kills a Sentinel; Sentinels reconstitute and kill hte Zombie Hulk

Round6: Sentinels kill Kaemon Awa, stealling OM1; Sentinels kill the last Zombie

Velnesh Alphas - took 140 points worth of Zombies of Morindan:
roll 2/4, 5/5, and 3/5 to kill 3 Zombies of Morindan (60 points)
roll ??, ??, and ?? to kill 2 more Zombies (40 points)
roll 0/4 defense vs a quick-release SA - death
roll 4/4 and 2/4 attack to kill two zombie (40 points)
roll 2/4 defense against 3/4 attack from the Zombie Hulk - death
The Alphas were solid in this game, killing quite a few Zombies, mostly on level ground. The Zombies should have been more active in this game and may have taken down the Alphas sooner with more persistence.

Despite their high kill count, the highlight for the Alphas was probably using the glyph of Recall to bring back the Sentinels, who basically soloed the game from there.

Qui-Gon was basically a non-factor this game, for whatever that is worth.

--

I am wondering if we should lower their attack to 3. If we do that we could probably lower their points. We might also raise their defense... I was playing them and thinking about how we wanted to have more variety in defense values in the Master Set.

--
--
--

--
Old July 4th, 2020, 11:02 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Thanks for the test caps.

Personally I’d rather finish what we started than start adjusting units who are already ready to go.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs