Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > AotV Maps & Scenarios
AotV Maps & Scenarios Forum for Discussion of AotV Maps & Scenarios

Notices

Old April 9th, 2019, 11:14 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
[AotV] "Sandstone" Terrain Rules Discussion

Below was my original thoughts before AotP project was created

So I think there are a lot of people, including involved in VC & C3G, map makers, tournament directors, and everyday scapers who would love anew terrain type for Heroscape. Well guess what, Magic:AotP gave us a new terrain type (besides Cryptoliths): Quick-Sand

Note this is different paint-job than Heroscape sand, but is 100% compatible. There are only a few pieces in each set:
  • Arena of the Planeswalker Master Set: 2 1-hex sand tiles, 2 3-hex sand tiles (8 hexes)
  • Shadows over Innistrad Master Set: 6 1-hex sand tiles, 3 2-hex sand tiles (cryptolith bases) (12 hexes total, 9 hexes with cryptoliths)
  • Wal-Mart Bonus edition: AotP + Bonus: 1 7-hex sand tile, 2 3-hex sand tiles, 2 2-hex sand tiles 2 1-hex sand tiles (bonus 19 hexes + 8 in original = 27 hexes total)
  • Also note that the sets come with cardboard mats and you may optionally make the sand on the mats be this "quick-sand" or not.
I would love to have agreed upon rules for this new terrain. This would be similar to "slippery ice" or "heavy snow" in that each map that uses the terrain can make the rules optional, but it should give map-makers a new terrain to design around. Eventually I'd like to see a C3V "master set" that uses AotP figures but also maps/scenarios with terrain from the sets using these rules.

So how do we agree on rules? Well here is a suggested process:
  1. Everyone suggest rules based on theoryscape on this thread
  2. People here discuss and debate and help on wording
  3. People actually build maps using some of the suggested terrain rules
  4. People playtest on maps made using rules suggested
  5. Additional discussion & debate, voting if necessary
  6. Final wording clean-up, sign-off

Again, maybe an already made group either C3V/C3G or BoV or other map-making group could do, but I figure I'd rther have this as a public discussion.

So lets start on 1 and 2. GO!!!

Last edited by lefton4ya; July 5th, 2021 at 02:26 PM.
Old April 9th, 2019, 11:15 AM

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: New Heroscape Terrain "Quick-Sand" - Collaborate rules

Suggestions here:
  • When you move onto a quick-sand space, your figure is trapped. The trapped figure cannot move from this space. The figure can move off the quick-sand only if a friendly figure occupies an adjacent space. @Hasbro - Same as Glyph of Proftaka (Pit Trap)
  • Each time a figure without the Slither power moves onto a quicksand space and is not adjacent to a friendly figure, roll a 20-sided die. Add the figure's height to the roll. On a roll of 10 or lower, the figure is trapped and must end its movement this turn. The figure may move off a quick-sand space the following turn. You may count quick-sand as sand or water for special powers of any figure. @lefton4ya , addended by @Astroking112
  • When a non-flying Small or Medium figure moves onto a quick-sand space from a non-quick-sand space, roll the D20. If you roll a 1, that
    figure is destroyed. If you roll a 2-5, that figure receives one wound. If you roll a 6 or higher, nothing happens. @killercactus from Fire Swamp
  • Figures without the Slither power starting their move on quick-sand spaces subtract 3 from their move. Figures on quick-sand spaces cannot target non-adjacent figures for attacks. @Necroblade
  • When you move to quick-sand space from a non quick-sand space, quick-sand must be counted as two spaces when moving. Nerfed version of Heavy Snow that some people house-rule.

Last edited by lefton4ya; April 12th, 2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old April 9th, 2019, 11:33 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Eventually I'd like to see a C3V "master set" that uses AotP figures but also maps/scenarios with terrain from the sets using these rules.
Great minds think alike.

On the topic of the terrain specifically, I actually think that the MtG tiles look like sandstone personally, which doesn't have any effects that immediately come to mind. Quicksand feels like it would be one of the thin tiles to me, if that makes sense.

That said, I did actually have some custom Quicksand terrain rules that I was toying with a long time ago. It's very similar to 2 and 3 from your second post, but with the added caveat that you add that figure's height to your roll. Rolling below an X would either cause a wound or get your figure stuck, but with the added height to your roll larger figures are punished less.
Old April 10th, 2019, 09:36 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Looking through this thread, there are a few good ideas.

I like something simple like, "Figures starting their move on quicksand spaces subtract 3 from their move." As long as you keep moving through it, you're fine, but if you stop it becomes a struggle to get out. Could also maybe add something like "Figures on quicksand spaces cannot target non-adjacent figures for attacks." so ranged figures can't just otherwise essentially ignore the effect.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 11th, 2019, 09:57 AM

Skyver knows what's in an order marker Skyver knows what's in an order marker

If I had to vote on the currently suggested rules I would go with the ones suggested by @lefton4ya and @Astroking112 . I think if we are involving the d20 that is the correct way to go. I like the way you add the character's height. I involved height in a different way, as you will see below.

I like the idea of quicksand being mostly harmless, yet sometimes deadly. I also think it should affect anyone passing through, rather than only when you begin your turn on it. Moving through quicksand should be a risk/reward based gamble.

Here's my take on it:

Quicksand Terrain Rules:
Quote:
ENSNARE:
When a unit tries to leave or ends their turn on a quicksand space, roll a single combat die. If you roll a Skull, that units gains a Sand marker*. Repeat this process until no skull is rolled. Before moving out of a Quicksand space, your unit must spend Movement to remove that many Sand markers. As long as a unit has a Sand marker, it cannot move away and cannot attack non-adjacent figures. Quicksand tiles counts as Sand spaces for the purpose of special powers.

BURY:
If the number of sand markers on a unit are equal to or greater than its Height value, and that unit has no more Movement to spend, that figure is destroyed. Soulborgs, Elementals, and Undead are unaffected by this ability.
*Note: Sand markers are similar to wound markers. This means that Hero figures can put markers on their Army card, while Squad figures should put the markers by their bases. Markers can be represented by dice or another indicator, as agreed upon by the players.

Other Rules:
Spoiler Alert!

I broke up my Ability into parts for readability, but if you want a Summary version I went ahead and added that here:

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Skyver; April 12th, 2019 at 02:39 AM.
Old April 11th, 2019, 04:32 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyver View Post
Quicksand Terrain Rules:

ENSNARE:
When a unit tries to leave or ends their turn on a quicksand space, roll a single combat die. If you roll a Skull, that units gains a Sand marker*. Repeat this process until no skull is rolled. Before moving out of a Quicksand space, your unit must spend Movement to remove that many Sand markers. As long as a unit has a Sand marker, it cannot move away and cannot attack non-adjacent figures. Quicksand tiles counts as Sand spaces for the purpose of special powers.

BURY:
If the number of sand markers on a unit are equal to or greater than its Height value, and that unit has no more Movement to spend, that figure is destroyed. Soulborgs, Elementals, and Undead are unaffected by this ability.
That's way too complicated and markers don't go on individual figures.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 11th, 2019, 05:17 PM

Skyver knows what's in an order marker Skyver knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyver View Post
Quicksand Terrain Rules:

ENSNARE:

BURY:
That's way too complicated and markers don't go on individual figures.
It sounds worse than it is. It might be possible to shrink down though.

In AotP, wound markers for squads go on individual figures. I don't know if any squads in HeroScape have more than 1 life, but if they do I imagine they would be handled the same way.

Anyway, this was just my take on it. My second choice would be the d20 rule by @lefton4ya .

Last edited by Skyver; April 15th, 2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old May 5th, 2019, 09:06 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Anyone interested in using these terrain tiles in Heroscape may appreciate this project.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 26th, 2021, 05:45 PM

Coming back to this, although maybe should be moved to the AotP project. An idea to combine a few different ideas:

Quicksand movement:
Figures starting their move on quicksand spaces subtract 3 from their move, to a minimum of 2. Figures on quick-sand spaces cannot target non-adjacent figures for attacks.

Quicksand damage:
Rolling for quicksand damage: In turn order, all players must roll for all their figures not adjacent to friendly figures and are on quicksand spaces. To do this, roll one attack die. If you roll a skull, that figure takes a wound. Otherwise it is safe. Players may choose in what order to roll for their own figures.

Figures with Slither, Amphibious, Water Suits, Swamp Water Tunnel, Water Tunnel, or Super Strength special power can ignore quicksand movement rules and never roll for quicksand damage.

Last edited by lefton4ya; April 26th, 2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old April 27th, 2021, 10:05 PM

Do your Mod powers let you move it?

That's way too many rules. The damage is even just the same as lava damage, except the friendly figure thing (and maybe timing, I don't see it listed). I would like to see something unique here. The other issue some had was Quicksand would make more sense as a 0-height tile (like shadow or water), but these are full hexes. That's why I had suggested this (or something like it):

SAND DUNES:
Shifting Sand: After one of your figures ends its turn on a Sand Dune, you must roll the d20. If you roll 11+, choose an opponent to move that figure one space to a same level or lower space. Figures moved by Shifting Sand do not take leaving engagement attacks.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 27th, 2021, 11:31 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Do you want it moved?

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old April 28th, 2021, 09:22 AM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

You could also add this to your new interactive terrain brainstorming thread!

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...91#post2461591

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > AotV Maps & Scenarios