Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old November 15th, 2018, 10:20 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaesShurrig View Post
Hi!

I have a couple of customs I'd like to submit to the SoV, but I don't have the editing software to put cards together, could anyone help me out?
Sure. You can send me a PM and I'll put the cards together in the next few days. You can also (in the future) try either my tutorial or Dr.Goomonkey's to make cards.

Last edited by superfrog; November 16th, 2018 at 12:32 AM.
Old November 16th, 2018, 12:06 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaesShurrig View Post
Hi!

I have a couple of customs I'd like to submit to the SoV, but I don't have the editing software to put cards together, could anyone help me out?
Sure. You can send me a PM and I'll put the cards together in the next few days. You can also (in the future) try either my tutorial or Dr.Goomonkey's to make cards.
PM sent
Old November 16th, 2018, 12:43 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

@JaesShurrig or anyone wanting to submit customs - Before submitting I would highly recommend these things:

Last edited by lefton4ya; November 19th, 2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old November 19th, 2018, 10:53 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Kha by @kolakoski

There are a lot of fantasy units in the VC school of Customs and 'Scapery. Can Kha slither in?

Balance

Kha has a unique spot among his fellow 75-pointers. Many heroes in his point range are cheerleaders as opposed to assassins. One of the closest comparisons I like is James Murphy. Both have a similar threat range (11 for Kha, and 12 for Murphy), and while Murphy usually utilizes his 7 range as much as possible, both get stronger up close with potential to hit multiple targets. Kha’s Poison Weapons makes him better for killing heroes, but Murphy is more disruptive to squads with his whip allowing him to stack extra wounds. Erevan also has a similar role as a highly mobile figure with (some) potential for multiple attacks. They aren’t perfect comparisons, but they do suggest that Kha is close to the correct point value.

Theme

Snake. Poison. Rogue. Kha’s theme may be simple, but it’s well-established. Both the left and right stat boxes flow directly from the sculpt, and the powers reflect the theme and sculpt well. Double Assault comes straight from the two weapons being used, and both Poison Weapons and Disengage feed into the snake/rogue theme. It’s a tight, solid design.

Creativity

The only truly new thing that Kha brings to the game is the race of Serpentfolk. His powers all come from Classic ‘Scape era army cards. The combination of powers is new, however, and they create a different kind of assassin figure that brings some decision-making to the table with his potential for multiple attacks. While his overall concept isn’t the most original, the resulting design and playstyle make for a fun addition to the table that still manages to feel new and apart from what’s come before.

Playability

Kha’s most obvious utility comes in a Nottingham Brigand build, and he fits into that build well. His hero-killing potential helps the Brigands against big guys who come in close, and his double attack potential helps an army that is usually stuck with only two attacks per turn (though getting that extra attack comes at the price of getting Kha in close). He feels like a rogue in playstyle, and fits in well with the merry crew. He also doesn’t do too terribly on his own, and makes for a solid 75-point cleanup filler if you have the points.

As an assassin, Kha has a lot of versatility and decision making to offer. His move of 6 gives him plenty of options when choosing where on the battlefield to be, and while 5 range isn’t huge, it’s enough to get shots in where you want them fairly often. This lets Kha look for unsuspecting figures to attack and assassinate, which fits well with his theme. When he gets caught, he can choose fight with Double Assault or flight with Disengage, which lets him choose his battles, for the assassin who fights and runs away lives to fight another day.

Kha does have a lot of damage output potential. Especially when he is able to get at lower defense heroes, like many cheerleaders, a timely Double Assault plus Poison Weapons lets him really put the hurt on his targets. However, a balance needs to be made in such attacks, as Kha’s survivability is pretty low, and getting too excited to kill a figure can result in the snakeman’s demise instead. Overall I really enjoyed the decisions and strategy points he brought to my games, and he felt great as a dangerous rogue the opponent needs to keep track of.

Summary

Kha does a great job of bringing a new take on an old archetype with old powers, and feels like a design Classic ‘Scape would have produced. He has a unique, dynamic playstyle and is a great addition to the game.

I vote Yea to induct Kha into the Soldiers of Valhalla.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old November 20th, 2018, 07:44 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Specters of Aldorn by Leaf_It

I've been testing the Specters for a few weeks and have found them really enjoyable. They compare nicely to other 4-man non-bonders (Gnids most specifically).

2 attack shows nice restraint, 3 defense looks high but is lower than the Shades.

Levitation is thematic and appropriate, and I have had a whole lot of fun zipping my Specters across the board and through screens, trying to maximize attacks and pass-throughs.

I was re-reading the card today and found a sticking point that I really can't get past, though, and I apologize for not catching this earlier.

The class is Specter, and that doesn't fit with how Undead have classes in Heroscape. The Zombies are Savages, the Shades are Devourers, the Skeletons of Annellintia are Warriors, the Tomb Skeletons (and Archers) are Guards, Crpyt Guardians are Guards.

Death Knights of Valkrill have the class of Death Knights, but that seems to me to be more of a description of the Knight-ness than their Undead-ness. The thralls all have Thrall as a class, but that is again a description of how they serve Nicholas, rather than an Undead subspecies. Notice that the Preyblood doesn't have Wight as a class, and the Darkprowl doesn't have Gravehound as a class.

While many cards are named after their class (Goblin Cutters, Aubrien Archers, Horned Skull Brutes, lots of Marro squads), those classes still describe what the unit does. "Specter" just means something that is seen.

I'd suggest you either go for something basic like Hunter, or maybe invent something Arctorus-y like Phaser.

I do think the Specters of Aldorn are well-designed, unique, and thematic, and I had come most of the way to deciding on a positive vote, but I can't get past this quibble.

I vote to induct the Specters of Aldorn into the Soldiers of Valhalla.

I hope the Specters are resubmitted with a new class so I can give them the full review they deserve.

Last edited by superfrog; November 20th, 2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old November 21st, 2018, 01:13 AM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

Howdy all, sorry I've been MIA for a while. Got a few reviews that I accidentally left sitting around for awhile coming to y'all.

---

Tetraites by Sir Heroscape

--

Balance

As the other punchy mid price range Gladiator that isn't rubbish (sorry Retiarius), Crixus is the obvious point of comparison here. They compare pretty well, with Crixus being more defensive and Tetraites the more offensive of the two. The extra 20 points makes sense given Tet's ability to take out two figures a turn and bypass problem powers with Spiked Gauntlet.

--

Theme

Theme feels pretty spot on. He's basically a Gladiator Heel, so Utgar makes sense for his general. Both the powers tie into the merciless personalty to help sell his bad-boy image.

--

Creativity

Both powers are new but nothing especially amazing or out-there, nothing wrong with that though.

--

Playability

Within a Gladiator build, Tet can make a nice 'battering ram'; punching holes through the other team for the Caps to pour through thanks to Spiked Gauntlet and his beefy attack. While he doesn't get any special benefit from Spartacus as Crixus does, he certainly likes Kirk Douglas's defense boost bumping him up to 'magic 4' territory (the extra move and attack isn't bad either) and keeping him alive a bit longer while on the front lines. Spiked Gauntlet definitely felt like the main draw here, it is almost always at least usable, and often can help get past tricky powers that the Gladiators might otherwise struggle against. In contrast, Finishing Blow is more of a bonus feature. It is nice when it triggers, but it's not something you should really be going out of your way for.

Outside a Gladiator build, Tet is only so-so. Between Spiked Gauntlet for squads and Finishing Blow for Heroes, Tet has an answer for most things he might face. He just doesn't have the mobility or survivabilty to really work out outside of a clean-up role though, and I'd usually rather have his Gladiator bro Crixus for that.

--

Summary

Tetraites makes a fine addition to the Gladiator faction, even if he is a 'traitor'. In the end, I was entertained.

I vote to induct Tetraites to the SoV.

--

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old November 21st, 2018, 01:16 AM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

Bol by The Dewk

--

Balance

Compared to the official 10 pointers, he's not as crazy good as Isamu but also not as useless as Otonashi, which is right where he should be.

--

Theme

Theme wise, the design works fine for me. I've no issue with a good-aligned goblin and the power-set feels very 'cowardly fantasy movie sidekick' to me, which I can dig.

--

Creativity

The only really new power here is Opportunism, but it's a pretty nice one. It gives him some use outside of pure clean-up or Brigand filler, and gives him a unique identity compared to the ninjas.

--

Playability

Bol rarely does much, but that's fitting as a 10 point filler figure. Outside of a Brigand army, I found he was most useful in Heat of Battle, or on very small maps, where his Opportunism turns could most easily be put to use when they come up. In a Brigand army, he's pretty much pure clean-up most of the time as Opportunism can't trigger on Brigand deaths, nobody else is likely to have Order Markers, and he's usually only worth activating if there's no other Rogues to bond with. However, on the right map the Brigands might give him an early turn to secure a glyph, and against Large or Huge figures he can be worth early activations as an expendable suicide bomber.

--

Summary

Overall, I thought Bol was a fun little figure with a fair bit of use for his price. If nothing else, he lets you do something else beyond sitting on your thumbs if you lose a hero loaded with Order Markers, that alone is worth quite a bit to someone with my luck.

I vote to induct the Bol to the SoV.

--

My Etsy Store
Old November 21st, 2018, 01:19 AM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Beakface Archer by Sir Heroscape
(and Beakface Rogue)

I'm not giving a full review of these two. I was weary of the Archer from the start, and testing only confirmed my fears. While they are supposed to be a supplementary force for the Beakface Sneaks, to me they played more like a replacement for them. I'm not comfortable with a new SoV essentially obsoleting an old one, and thus can't support these units as they currently stand.

I vote to induct the Beakface Archer and Rogue to the SoV.

--

My Etsy Store
Old November 21st, 2018, 03:42 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Specters of Aldorn by Leaf_It

I've been testing the Specters for a few weeks and have found them really enjoyable. They compare nicely to other 4-man non-bonders (Gnids most specifically).

2 attack shows nice restraint, 3 defense looks high but is lower than the Shades.

Levitation is thematic and appropriate, and I have had a whole lot of fun zipping my Specters across the board and through screens, trying to maximize attacks and pass-throughs.

I was re-reading the card today and found a sticking point that I really can't get past, though, and I apologize for not catching this earlier.

The class is Specter, and that doesn't fit with how Undead have classes in Heroscape. The Zombies are Savages, the Shades are Devourers, the Skeletons of Annellintia are Warriors, the Tomb Skeletons (and Archers) are Guards, Crpyt Guardians are Guards.

Death Knights of Valkrill have the class of Death Knights, but that seems to me to be more of a description of the Knight-ness than their Undead-ness. The thralls all have Thrall as a class, but that is again a description of how they serve Nicholas, rather than an Undead subspecies. Notice that the Preyblood doesn't have Wight as a class, and the Darkprowl doesn't have Gravehound as a class.

While many cards are named after their class (Goblin Cutters, Aubrien Archers, Horned Skull Brutes, lots of Marro squads), those classes still describe what the unit does. "Specter" just means something that is seen.

I'd suggest you either go for something basic like Hunter, or maybe invent something Arctorus-y like Phaser.

I do think the Specters of Aldorn are well-designed, unique, and thematic, and I had come most of the way to deciding on a positive vote, but I can't get past this quibble.

I vote to induct the Specters of Aldorn into the Soldiers of Valhalla.

I hope the Specters are resubmitted with a new class so I can give them the full review they deserve.
@Scytale @capsocrates @Soundwarp SG-1 @BiggaBullfrog
Is this a sticking point for the rest of you? If I need to resumbit for this reason alone, I'd like to know now, so that I can get it back into playtesting as soon as possible.
Old November 21st, 2018, 04:02 AM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

I actually used to use Specter as a class myself, so it would be kinda hypocritical of me to have a problem with it. I moved away from it for my personal stuff for reasons I won’t get into here, but I think it’s fine for regular Heroscape especially given how haphazard the class stuff is anyway. I feel ‘Specter’ sort of does describe that type of Undead’s ‘job’ in a way that ‘Zombie’ or ‘Skeleton’ wouldn’t, as there is less variation in the associations with the word there. Like if you say ‘Zombie’ I’d feel the need to ask ‘well what type of Zombie?’ where as with ‘Specter’ there is a pretty firm connotation of ‘Creepy ghost thing lurking in the background’, to me anyway, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, TLDR version: It doesn’t bother me enough for a down vote.

EDIT: Having said that, unless you are super passionate about the class I might consider resubmitting anyway. It could save you a lot of time in the long run.

My Etsy Store
Old November 21st, 2018, 04:49 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I haven't fully processed superfrog's comments on that point yet.

Looking at the list of Undead and their classes for myself, I'm not sure that I see a huge difference between "Spectre" and, say, "Savage." On the other hand, "Spectre" seems more like a species than it does like a class. But not by a huge margin, on the other hand.

So my mind is not made up. Coming up with a stronger class could prevent it from being an issue.

It's interesting how many of the other potential classes that come to my mind have potentially the same issue:
- Wraith
- Banshee
- Spirit
- Haunt

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old November 21st, 2018, 05:06 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

I honestly like Specter as a class. I'm not married to it though. If I change the class, I want it to be based on the lore of Aldorn. I have a WIP for their lore, and I'm trying to figure out what class would best fit it in a way that would be better than Specter. Hunter kind of works, but not in the way I would like. I'll sleep on it, and see what comes to mind tomorrow.

There's also the Unique Specter Hero that I have in a state of not fully designed, or ready to show yet, which would be changing classes with them...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs