Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old June 9th, 2018, 07:13 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Craig Van Ness Q&A Thread

I think an important thing to keep in mind is that the game was never designed specifically for tournament play. As a kid, I always had a ton of fun using Taelord with my one squad of Omnicron Snipers on castle sieges, but I also played 700pt+ games. Since nearly a decade has passed since the cancellation, most of the casual fans have left, which skews our perception as to the value of certain units. Hatamoto Taro paired with Samurai against knights in a large game is horrifying, for example, and I'm sure that Deathwalker 7000 being able to explode and deal a ton of damage (even if he almost never will) showed up in playtesting.

While there are certainly some units that I wish I could confidently take to a tournament (Hatamoto Taro probably being the most prominent one, since I love the Samurai and his theme), not every unit can be balanced in a 400-600pt tournament format, and I don't think that was the designer's intention. That said, I am also very curious if there are any units that Craig thinks could've been improved.

On this topic, @Craig Van Ness , can you shed any light on the playtesting process? I'd love to know how many games playtesters would play on average, if you felt like time/a quick schedule ever inhibited the tests, or anything else that you can share.
Old June 20th, 2018, 03:41 PM

Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby!

Before the change over to D&D, was Aquilla originally intended to be a mostly bug/insect/creature themed General? That seemed to be the direction before things had to change.

Old June 20th, 2018, 03:45 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Aquilla started with a shaolin monk and then in Wave 9 had native americans and a dwarf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old June 24th, 2018, 10:54 PM

Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby!

Point taken lol

Old July 25th, 2018, 09:54 AM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Any idea what that may have looked like?

I would have loved to see a larger version of the ruined warehouse from the Marvel set.
Terrain Line for Hobby-
This terrain line could be almost anything.
I think a pack where you can just get more tiles would be ideal.

Also, theme packs.
More packs that relate to the current story.
So when we came out with Swarm of the Marro, we could of introduced multiple Marro structures and maybe ruined structures of a city in Valhalla that the Marro destroyed.
Old July 25th, 2018, 10:02 AM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberQ9 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberQ9 View Post
I don't know if you're ever coming back to answer more questions, but here goes:

Looking back, is there anything with Heroscape and its design that you would have done differently, or that you would do differently if you somehow magically were able to make a "Heroscape 2nd edition?"
Good question UberQ9.

I think the design is pretty elegant. In most cases, we tried to make rules that made sense, and if we designed something that didn't quite make sense or was too fussy, we waited until it was ready.

The one thing I wish we created- is a terrain line just for hobby. Terrain gives Heroscape an epic appearance and really lets people be creative.
I agree that the rules are very well-designed. My primary gripes with the game are more with the design of specific units rather than the system itself. As a kind of follow-up question, are there any specific units that you think could have been designed better? The general consensus in the community seems to be that the Deathreavers are too strong or too cheap points-wise, and that Deathwalker 7000 and Hatamoto Taro are both very hard to make useful, but I'd like to see your take.
Yes- some units are a bit powerful and some units are not great for tournament play. We tried to do the best we could with the time we had to deliver the product.
Old July 25th, 2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
I think an important thing to keep in mind is that the game was never designed specifically for tournament play. As a kid, I always had a ton of fun using Taelord with my one squad of Omnicron Snipers on castle sieges, but I also played 700pt+ games. Since nearly a decade has passed since the cancellation, most of the casual fans have left, which skews our perception as to the value of certain units. Hatamoto Taro paired with Samurai against knights in a large game is horrifying, for example, and I'm sure that Deathwalker 7000 being able to explode and deal a ton of damage (even if he almost never will) showed up in playtesting.

While there are certainly some units that I wish I could confidently take to a tournament (Hatamoto Taro probably being the most prominent one, since I love the Samurai and his theme), not every unit can be balanced in a 400-600pt tournament format, and I don't think that was the designer's intention. That said, I am also very curious if there are any units that Craig thinks could've been improved.

On this topic, @Craig Van Ness , can you shed any light on the playtesting process? I'd love to know how many games playtesters would play on average, if you felt like time/a quick schedule ever inhibited the tests, or anything else that you can share.
I set up a playtest forum, with groups from all over the US. I think there were about 6-8 groups. Also, participation varied, some groups were very active, others would chime in not as much. Each unit had a thread and all changes were tracked. Some of the early playtesters transitioned into freelance game designers for Heroscape.

Timing was always a factor. We tried to plan ahead as much as possible, but sometimes things change, schedules change, line plans change.
Old July 25th, 2018, 10:38 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:

I would have loved to see a larger version of the ruined warehouse from the Marvel set.
Terrain Line for Hobby-

Also, theme packs.
So when we came out with Swarm of the Marro, we could of introduced multiple Marro structures and maybe ruined structures of a city in Valhalla that the Marro destroyed.

Thank you!

Any chance there is any artwork or sketches of the Marro structures or the ruined city?

Building and structures would have really taken Heroscape to the next level.

Thanks for giving us all not just a special game but a special community.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old July 25th, 2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Terrain Line for Hobby-

Also, theme packs.

Thank you!

Any chance there is any artwork or sketches of the Marro structures or the ruined city?

Building and structures would have really taken Heroscape to the next level.

Thanks for giving us all not just a special game but a special community.
Hasbro owns all the sketches.

Thanks for the kind words. I can't take credit for building the community, the fans made it, and it is special in many ways.
Old July 29th, 2018, 01:20 PM

chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hey Craig- I looked to find a shifting realms thread/FAQ on here and couldn't find it.

First of all, me and my friends love the game. We've played at least 15 games and have enjoyed the variety, the learning process, and the perfect balance of it being a game that takes thought and strategy without being convoluted or insanely lengthy is a treat. Its weird that there isn't more buzz about such an amazing game, considering how superior it is to the vast majority of games I've played and that the production quality is very on point. My girlfriend and I have quite a following of around 280k people on instagram and I am definitely going to plug, and get her to plug it to get it some of the hype is truly deserves.

Praise aside, I had a few questions, some of which I am pretty positive I know how they work but just wanted to clarify.

1. When a task refers to having a dragon card, it specifically means a dragons move card, and a protector will not count, correct?

2. The Gold shrine has you draw two story cards. Although you only keep one you still technically draw two. Does this somehow count as your two per turn? I'm assuming not due to how weak it would make the building.

3. Almost positive about this one, but if you have multiple dwarf protectors and the dragon kills a unit- Because its mandatory I know you have to destroy one, but you just choose and destroy one as opposed to them all fizzling and you losing all of the points?

4. For the land lubber card you need a total of four units correct? Two in each location?

5.Do both the units for daring settlers need to be in the same same space?

6. Lastly, the rules state that if you are ending the game by drawing a card from the Annuna deck, you can use the effect of the annuna card you draw before the game ends. If you draw a "later" card, are you unable to use it, or does this game ending effect override that rule.
Old July 29th, 2018, 04:35 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

What are the odds we get a 5-6 player expansion for Shifting Realms?

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old July 29th, 2018, 05:33 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

@Craig Van Ness , would you mind a separate Q&A here for Shifting Realms?

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; July 29th, 2018 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Yes, that was a question. :-)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion