Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:35 PM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Much Love for the Gladiator Heroes?

I admit that I have yet to purchase the Nakita/Gladiator expansion, and everytime I pick up one of the MANY remaining packs in the stores, I never quite seem to feel enticed enough to actually purchase one.

Now I am a bit of a completist, owning at least 2x of every common (aside from 2), multiples of terrain expansions, and even scoring a Nerak and EOV squad, so I do feel driven to get this pack, but does anyone really use gladiators that much?

I tried to do a search on these guys on the site, but most of the talk is about how sucky Spartacus is... they look like they could be fun to play, but they don't bond, they don't have any synergy, and Spartacus would never see any play until they come out with a gladiator squad...

And the Nakita look so darned ugly that I cringe at the though of forking out $$$ for 'em. Not terribly inspiring. I just don't see them as a MUST HAVE unit.

Does anyone here vouch for Retiarius and/or Crixus? Do they really get much play in your games? Are they competitive/worth their points?

Thanks!

SW8K

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:48 PM

King's Knight knows what's in an order marker King's Knight knows what's in an order marker
Crixus more then Retiarius (who, when compared to Murphy, seems lacking...) but usually someone will take all 3 to get the inspiration boost. I too initally avoided this pack, mainly 'cause of the look of "charlie's angels", but after I got it, I think it's defenately worth having.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:50 PM

Venandier has disabled reputation
Personally, I dont see what the big fuss is over the gladiator heroes is. I love em all and they see most battles i play now. Together, they're all unstoppable. Sure, Spartacus may be a bit overpriced if you dont have the other gladiators but he's still pretty much the best medium-sized fighter in the game, I believe. And for 90 points a piece, Crixus and Retiarius are a steal. Two good fighters with great abilties that can get you far if you use them strategically. Spend $10 to buy this set, dude.

I wish we could get an army of dwarves, fully armed and filthy.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:56 PM

Su_Nan Woo who?
I think that basing a unit of how it looks is stupid. After hearing all over the place that the nakitas are an awesome squad, I just think i'll not buy them because they look bad. Rubbish!!! The nakita's are great and the gladiators are good too. Crixus is awesome and the others just mesh. And besides if you don't get this pack then you won't be a completist.

The pack is worth the money.

Insanity is the best medicine.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:05 PM

wigglepuppy has disabled reputation
I too agree that the gladiator pack is worth buying. Then again, everything in Heroscape is. Crixus definitely gets the most use in our games. His high attack, one sheild defence, and cheap cost make him a great melee hero.

Retarius gets less use, but one of my friends uses him quite often. I think that ranged units kill him too fast, and his special doesn't seem to work that often for me.

And, I will not play Spartacus until they release a gladiator squad.

wigglepuppy is Kaemon Awa...
in The Marble Temple...
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:12 PM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
Re: Much Love for the Gladiator Heroes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotwalker 8000
I tried to do a search on these guys on the site, but most of the talk is about how sucky Spartacus is... they look like they could be fun to play, but they don't bond, they don't have any synergy, and Spartacus would never see any play until they come out with a gladiator squad...
Currently, they do suck. But just think of the issues people had with finding W1 and are currently having with W3. When they do make a galdiator squad (or even some more heroes), wave 5 is liable to be scarce (may seem impossible now, but thats what i said about W3). Get it while you can or regret it. Thats my philosophy.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:46 PM
has been BANNED

Stealth Dodge is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Crixus can be a Beast and Retarius can rock small/medium heroes. A potential for minimum of 5 attack vs only 1 defense can be devastating. The huge downside is that 4 life with only 3 defense for a melee fighter means he can go down quickly
Old January 24th, 2007, 02:17 AM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
I had great success with these guys in a king of the hill game. And all out multi player brawl might be interesting to have them too.
Old January 24th, 2007, 02:27 AM
has been BANNED

Homba is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I have used Crixus several times. He's a great stand-alone fig, fairly priced. Decent counter to any high-attack fig such as Krug, Jotun, etc, provided you roll that one shield. His ability is even good against special attacks. With only 3 dice, getting that 1 shield consistently is an adventure, so I like to try to secure some sort of defense bonus for him before bringing him up, normally this means getting control of a +1 Defense Glyph. Raelin and Thorgrim are other options. Drafting Spartacus would do it too I suppose, but for the 400-500 pt armies that we normally play, I can't justify it right now. Like everyone else, I hope they release a cheap gladiator common squad soon to help justify Spartacus' cost.

I'd say buy 'em!

H
Old January 24th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Welcome to the boards, wigglepuppy!

On behalf of our Crixus loving and Spartacus disrespecting community I extend to you a laurel and a hearty handshake.

You know, just once I think I'm going to have to play a game with the Nakitas and all three gladiators (500 points). I think I usually dismiss them out of hand as a 380 point team, but in the new 500 point, post-flagbearer era...

~Aldin, who wants to see them take on a Q9-based army

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 24th, 2007, 08:17 AM

Fourshadow knows what's in an order marker Fourshadow knows what's in an order marker
When I play with my sons, they often ask me if I am going to use Crixus. If I tell them no, they are relieved. They cannot stand his ability and fear his power! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! They know that no matter how well they roll, he can avoid taking full damage with just one shield.

"There's right and there's wrong: you do one and you're living. You do the other and you may be walking around, but you're as dead as a beaver hat." John Wayne in The Alamo
Old January 24th, 2007, 08:26 AM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Like most other here, Crixus is the only one who gets any real play at our house. For some reason, it seems he is able to take down the Big Guns better than any other solo, medium sized figure. That honor used to go to Denrick but he was replaced.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units