Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old January 25th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Insanity of Cohesion

Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun
Lucas Retires

It is an interesting day

http://www.gadaily.com/index.php/art...-lucas-retires

It is odd to go from being the most loved figure by nerds to being hated figure by nerds in the course of one life...loved or hated, he still got richer every day...

-Ryougabot

Find out who works with whom
Old January 25th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Lucas Retires

Good for him for retiring. He was a visionary, in his time.

Sadly, the success of Star Wars doomed Hollywood to artistic mediocrity, ending the best years of the silver screen, but if it hadn't been Star Wars it would have been some other fairy tale. So I don't blame him.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old January 25th, 2012, 12:27 PM
wants to have Anne Hathaway's babies

Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby!

Finally...
Old January 25th, 2012, 01:09 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Yeah, well Micheal Jordan and Brett Favre retired......several times.

C'mon! he even alludes to prequels and sequels for Red Tails.

Do we really think a control freak like Lucas is just going to sit back and let someone else run the awesome businesses he has created? No way.

He isn't retiring...he is just, once again, disenchanted with the corporate machine that is Hollywood.

So he is taking his ball and going home....at least for the present.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old January 25th, 2012, 01:28 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Lucas makes more money from other people using his companies than he does making his own movies.

Lucas' problem is that he is a geek and wants to make things more geeky by using all of this new technology that wasn't available to him back when he was an innovator. In other words he would like to spend $1 million dollars to make the pores on a Dewback open and close in super HD because it adds to the realism of the creature even if it adds nothing to the film itself.
Old January 25th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Has A Ticket To Ride

EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post

Sadly, the success of Star Wars doomed Hollywood to artistic mediocrity, ending the best years of the silver screen, but if it hadn't been Star Wars it would have been some other fairy tale. So I don't blame him.
Actually, this is the opposite of what I've heard from many movie historians. Star Wars came during a time when the silver screen was headed toward a darker and less hopeful future, almost nihilistic. If not for the classic good vs. evil with good triumphing, then where would we be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwayman View Post
Classic-Scape is just the Frosting for the Marvel-Scape cake!
Old January 25th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Lucas makes more money from other people using his companies than he does making his own movies.

Lucas' problem is that he is a geek and wants to make things more geeky by using all of this new technology that wasn't available to him back when he was an innovator. In other words he would like to spend $1 million dollars to make the pores on a Dewback open and close in super HD because it adds to the realism of the creature even if it adds nothing to the film itself.
That's the stuff I didn't mind him doing. The updated special effects were awesome. It's when he started tinkering with story lines that he went astray, IMO. Han shot first. Darth Vader didn't yell anything before picking up the Emperor and tossing him.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old January 25th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalThanos86 View Post
Quote:

Actually, this is the opposite of what I've heard from many movie historians. Star Wars came during a time when the silver screen was headed toward a darker and less hopeful future, almost nihilistic. If not for the classic good vs. evil with good triumphing, then where would we be?
Yes, nihilistic.

The Godfather
Dog Day Afternoon
Rocky
The French Connection
Taxi Driver
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Jaws
The Return of the Pink Panther
The Godfather 2
Blazing Saddles

I'll grant you, ET, that there was a darker world view in the films of the mid-70s.

But good lord, they knew how to make films.

The "good thumping evil" fairy tales have dominated Hollywood ever since, with nice clean melodrama, all black and white and no shades of gray, because that's what sells. Robert Altmans The Player satirizes this precise issue, for those who have seen it.

Star Wars -> The Natural -> Pretty Woman, where the story must have heroes and villains, even if you must torture the source material to get them, as they did for those two movies.

James Cameron is not what I would consider a maestro, despite his commercial success, but one thing he knows is this: If you touch the live wire of sacrificing a hero, you will have a deeply emotional and satisfying film at the end, as long as your heroine survives.

These are tropes. The rhythm section stays the same in film after film, but the melody changes a little and it still works, commercially.

It's sad.

There is a place for movies like that, and there is a surviving undercurrent of movies from other artistic directions (The Descendants is an excellent recent example) but mostly we see the same small handful of stories over and over, with different window dressing. I'm fine with fairy tales being part of the mix. But I don't eat hamburgers for dinner every single night, and I don't want to.

> If not for the classic good vs. evil with good triumphing, then
> where would we be?
I liked Unforgiven, hardly a good vs. evil with good triumphing. Sure, it came out in 1992.... But the script dated from 1976. Back when you could dream of making movies like that, even if you weren't Clint Eastwood.

Didn't expect that, did you, ET?

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; January 25th, 2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old January 25th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Insanity of Cohesion

Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun

I realized from all the posts that Star Wars is not a movie anymore to him, it is a revenue generating hobby. He can retire from making movies professionally, but he doesn't have to give up his hobby, which is tinkering with the Star Wars movies (or any other property he owns). He makes his changes for him, but we happen to buy them for us...great hobby.

He may retire from making movies professionally, but he will not give up his hobby of making films and selling them...

I am waiting for Willow in 3D with all of the costumes created in CG and 25 minutes of footage to "tell the rest of the story. I have seen the previews, Madmartigan is replaced with a woman, and Sorsha is an ocelot.

-Ryougabot

Find out who works with whom
Old January 25th, 2012, 05:02 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Willow is not his film...it's Ron Howard's
Old January 25th, 2012, 05:03 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryougabot View Post
He may retire from making movies professionally, but he will not give up his hobby of making films and selling them...
Except that isn't what he said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas in the article you linked
“I’m retiring. I’m moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff,”
I say again: He is just upset over the struggle he had to go through with the studios to get Red Tails done and promoted. Basically, he felt since he is George Lucas, they should have just put up the money and promoted the film..they didn't, and now he is being a titty baby.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old January 26th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Has A Ticket To Ride

EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Yes, nihilistic.
...lots of good stuff...
Didn't expect that, did you, ET?
Actually, I'm impressed. I thought you might deny the whole thing. I'm glad to see we are on the same page in everything except one minor detail. I, personally, want the good vs. evil with good triumphing pretty much all the time. If I wanted to see otherwise, I could just look at the real world. For me, movies are about an escape into a different place. For this same reason, I don't really want to watch "reality" TV (although, I would argue that it is hardly reality in any way).

So, I agree with you, except on that most foundational level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwayman View Post
Classic-Scape is just the Frosting for the Marvel-Scape cake!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies