Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old March 8th, 2024, 07:11 PM

lucasd21 is surprisingly tart
AoA Wave 2 Predictions

AoA is officially off the ground!
We know all of what is being included in wave one, and wave two is being announced in the summer. Since we know a significant number of units from the Haslab which were not included in wave one, I thought it'd be fun to speculate about what will be included in wave two.

In terms of delivery, I expect there will be an emphasis on faction boxes. The master set and battle box are providing a fair amount of terrain, and I expect an emphasis on adding more units. Without further ado, here's my prediction.

AoA wave two will consist of 1 battle box, 4 faction boxes, and an additional terrain set.

4 faction boxes will include:

Nemesis War Brood - Festering Honor Guard, Oathbound Legionnaires/Phalanx, Queen Maladrix

Dryan Lifeborne Order - Chana, Girushia, Haluchott, Halushia, Marachott, Vrono

Ironclad Collective - Hellforge, Iron Lich, Scavorith, Thyraxis Dragoon, Necrotechs

Clockwork Combine - Zed Nesbitt, Ordo Borealis, Adelbern, Burrowbreaker

The Battle box will be a Clockwork Combine and Pirates scenario and include Avalon Hill units in each faction. As such, it will include pirates Cornelius Breech, Crimson Widow, Dreadnauts of New Tortuga. Clockwork Combine figures will be Imperator Kayne, Glide Strikers, and Tuck Harrigan.

Since the first terrain set included jungle, which is the most difficult terrain to acquire in original 'scape, I predict the next terrain box will have some snow!

Notably this leaves out the new Kyrie, as well as Q-11 and the new Sonlen. I expect they'll keep those last two as future promotional units, and maybe try to sneak a Kyrie or two in the battle box.

Ultimately, I'm just excited to get the original play tested designs and have Heroscape back on the shelf!
Old March 8th, 2024, 11:20 PM

Tauros105 knows what's in an order marker Tauros105 knows what's in an order marker Tauros105 knows what's in an order marker
Re: AoA Wave 2 Predictions

Great concept. My guess is a wasteland terrain pack and 3 faction packs and 3 common figure packs containing unreleased figures from AOA and figures made by renegade. The faction packs will be the rest of the pirates we've allready seen, the rest of the dryans, and the queen and her gaurd. We will seen how wrong I am lol.
Old March 8th, 2024, 11:45 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasd21 View Post
AoA is officially off the ground!
We know all of what is being included in wave one, and wave two is being announced in the summer. Since we know a significant number of units from the Haslab which were not included in wave one, I thought it'd be fun to speculate about what will be included in wave two.

In terms of delivery, I expect there will be an emphasis on faction boxes. The master set and battle box are providing a fair amount of terrain, and I expect an emphasis on adding more units. Without further ado, here's my prediction.

AoA wave two will consist of 1 battle box, 4 faction boxes, and an additional terrain set.

4 faction boxes will include:

Nemesis War Brood - Festering Honor Guard, Oathbound Legionnaires/Phalanx, Queen Maladrix

Dryan Lifeborne Order - Chana, Girushia, Haluchott, Halushia, Marachott, Vrono

Ironclad Collective - Hellforge, Iron Lich, Scavorith, Thyraxis Dragoon, Necrotechs

Clockwork Combine - Zed Nesbitt, Ordo Borealis, Adelbern, Burrowbreaker

The Battle box will be a Clockwork Combine and Pirates scenario and include Avalon Hill units in each faction. As such, it will include pirates Cornelius Breech, Crimson Widow, Dreadnauts of New Tortuga. Clockwork Combine figures will be Imperator Kayne, Glide Strikers, and Tuck Harrigan.

Since the first terrain set included jungle, which is the most difficult terrain to acquire in original 'scape, I predict the next terrain box will have some snow!

Notably this leaves out the new Kyrie, as well as Q-11 and the new Sonlen. I expect they'll keep those last two as future promotional units, and maybe try to sneak a Kyrie or two in the battle box.

Ultimately, I'm just excited to get the original play tested designs and have Heroscape back on the shelf!
Overall, I think those are very plausible predictions. Reserving the remaining SotM Heroes for rewards like Shiori especially makes sense.

My personal prediction is one terrain pack with illusory walls and associated rules and up to three faction boxes or classic Heroscape-style mixed boxes, likely featuring the Eiseneks, the War Brood, and—as Volarak's debut units—the Vorids. In general I expect that Renegade will work through all of the remaining AoA units before releasing anything new, and that terrain sets will appear at least once every other wave to help new hobbyists build more interesting maps and to allow older players to replace their aging tiles.
Old March 8th, 2024, 11:55 PM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

According to this article we’re looking at 2 “army expansions” (faction packs?) and 1 terrain expansion. I would bet on the Terrain expansion being a Wall pack.

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/...lease-calendar

Tournament Record:128-54 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old March 9th, 2024, 09:39 AM

lucasd21 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by boromir96 View Post
According to this article we’re looking at 2 “army expansions” (faction packs?) and 1 terrain expansion. I would bet on the Terrain expansion being a Wall pack.

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/...lease-calendar

Well that certainly gives reason to narrow down the speculation. With only 2 unit expansion packs I gotta think they'll have a good number of units in them (maybe 10 each?). Otherwise, releasing half the AoA content and calling it two waves would be disappointing.
Old March 10th, 2024, 01:35 AM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Trails View Post
My personal prediction is one terrain pack with illusory walls and associated rules and up to three faction boxes or classic Heroscape-style mixed boxes, likely featuring the Eiseneks, the War Brood, and—as Volarak's debut units—the Vorids. In general I expect that Renegade will work through all of the remaining AoA units before releasing anything new, and that terrain sets will appear at least once every other wave to help new hobbyists build more interesting maps and to allow older players to replace their aging tiles.
I wouldn't be surprised for them to work through AoA either. After looking at the remaining AoA units, they could easily split up the "factions" across two waves and then move on to new stuff. I feel like there is a small chance that they want to round out the synergies from the master set/battle box first but I'll put those ideas into my wave 4 and 5 predictions. By the time wave 5 is released, they could have all of AoA used up plus several solid army options on the field, and filled in some of the old holes.

All of my predictions are based on Renegade wanting to use what they bought from AH while also playing it safe until they have made their money back from the acquisition. If I were them, I would be making stuff that is low cost, looks cool, entices new players, and is just special/nostalgic enough to keep old players.

Wave 2: Pre Orders Promo - Q11
Box 1: Dawn Raider/Dryan Heroes
Marachott, Mind Whisperer
Girushia, Grove Keeper
Halushia, Scion of the Wild
Chana the Zenithwing
Haluchott, Corruptor of Beasts
Vrono the Brambletoth
Crimson Widow
Cornelius Breech, the Derelict Prince
$50 - 8 figures total

Box 2: Nemesis War Brood
Queen Maladrix the Conqueror
Oathbound Phalanx
Oathbound Legionnaires - 4 figures
Festering Honor Guard - 4 figures
$50 - 10 figures total

Terrain Expansion
Road 2.0 hexes with new/standard trees and/or more Laurs Ruins.
$50
I feel like Renegade expects new players to look at the old stuff and be like "Man, all this rock and grass is boring" and are therefore inclined to release something with unique hexes and LoS obstacles. They already copied Jungle so they might as well copy the other terrain to start and then get more creative as time goes on.

Wave 3 Predictions: Pre Orders Promo - Sonlen
Box 1: Warbrood/Dawn Raider "fillers" aka evil guys
Iron Lich Viscerot
Hellforge Mandukor
Scavorith, Lord of Ruin
Thyraxis Dragoon
Necrotech Wraithriders - 3 figures
Dreadnauts of New Tortuga - 3 figures
$50 - 10 figures total

Box 2: Clockwork Combine
Air Marshal Zed Nesbitt
Imperator Kayne
Wing Commander Tuck Harrigan
Vorid Burrowbreaker
Vorid Glide Strikers - 3 figures
Knight Primus Adelbern
Ordo Borealis - 3 figures
$50 - 11 figures

Terrain Expansion
Snow 2.0 with either new glaciers or some other LoS obstacle

Wave 4 Predictions
Box 1: Kyrie squad pack/fillers
Aquilla Kyrie - 3 figures
Revna Kyrie - 3 figures
Volrak Kyrie? - 3 Figures
$50 - 9 figures

Box 2: Large/Flight Heroes Pack
Aquilla Dragon
Volrak Dragon
Aquilla Kyrie Hero 1
Aquilla Kyrie Hero 2
Revna Kyrie Hero 1
Volrak Kyrie Hero 1
Volrak Kyrie Hero 2
$50 - 7 figures

Terrain Expansion
Lava 2.0 with either lava rocks or some other LoS obstacle

Wave 5 Predictions
Box 1: "Evil" common squads box
Common Utgar Pirate Squad - 4 figures
Common Revna Pirate Squad - 4 figures
Volrak New Species Common Squad - 4 figures
$50 - 12 figures

Box 2: Aquilla and other "good forces" common squads and beasts
Common Dwarf Pirate Squad to bond with Dorim - 4 figures
Aquilla Common/Uncommon Beasts - 2 figures
Ullar Common/Uncommon Beasts - 2 figures
Aquilla Wyrmling - 2 figures
Revna Wormlings - 2 figures
$50 - 12 figures

Terrain Expansion
Swamp 2.0 with a new type of Laurs Ruins add-on or swamp trees/fallen logs

Last edited by chief; March 10th, 2024 at 03:35 AM.
Old March 10th, 2024, 03:41 AM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Trails View Post
I wouldn't be surprised for them to work through AoA either. After looking at the remaining AoA units, they could easily split up the "factions" across two waves and then move on to new stuff. I feel like there is a small chance that they want to round out the synergies from the master set/battle box first but I'll put those ideas into my wave 4 and 5 predictions. By the time wave 5 is released, they could have all of AoA used up plus several solid army options on the field, and filled in some of the old holes.

All of my predictions are based on Renegade wanting to use what they bought from AH while also playing it safe until they have made their money back from the acquisition. If I were them, I would be making stuff that is low cost, looks cool, entices new players, and is just special/nostalgic enough to keep old players.

Wave 2: Pre Orders Promo - Q11
Box 1: Dawn Raider/Dryan Heroes
Marachott, Mind Whisperer
Girushia, Grove Keeper
Halushia, Scion of the Wild
Chana the Zenithwing
Haluchott, Corruptor of Beasts
Vrono the Brambletoth
Crimson Widow
Cornelius Breech, the Derelict Prince
$50 - 8 figures total

Box 2: Nemesis War Brood
Queen Maladrix the Conqueror
Oathbound Phalanx
Oathbound Legionnaires - 4 figures
Festering Honor Guard - 4 figures
$50 - 10 figures total

Terrain Expansion
Road 2.0 hexes with new/standard trees and/or more Laurs Ruins.
$50
I feel like Renegade expects new players to look at the old stuff and be like "Man, all this rock and grass is boring" and are therefore inclined to release something with unique hexes and LoS obstacles. They already copied Jungle so they might as well copy the other terrain to start and then get more creative as time goes on.

Wave 3 Predictions: Pre Orders Promo - Sonlen
Box 1: Warbrood/Dawn Raider "fillers" aka evil guys
Iron Lich Viscerot
Hellforge Mandukor
Scavorith, Lord of Ruin
Thyraxis Dragoon
Necrotech Wraithriders - 3 figures
Dreadnauts of New Tortuga - 3 figures
$50 - 10 figures total

Box 2: Clockwork Combine
Air Marshal Zed Nesbitt
Imperator Kayne
Wing Commander Tuck Harrigan
Vorid Burrowbreaker
Vorid Glide Strikers - 3 figures
Knight Primus Adelbern
Ordo Borealis - 3 figures
$50 - 11 figures

Terrain Expansion
Snow 2.0 with either new glaciers or some other LoS obstacle

Wave 4 Predictions
Box 1: Kyrie squad pack/fillers
Aquilla Kyrie - 3 figures
Revna Kyrie - 3 figures
Volrak Kyrie? - 3 Figures
$50 - 9 figures

Box 2: Large/Flight Heroes Pack
Aquilla Dragon
Volrak Dragon
Aquilla Kyrie Hero 1
Aquilla Kyrie Hero 2
Revna Kyrie Hero 1
Volrak Kyrie Hero 1
Volrak Kyrie Hero 2
$50 - 7 figures

Terrain Expansion
Lava 2.0 with either lava rocks or some other LoS obstacle

Wave 5 Predictions
Box 1: "Evil" common squads box
Common Utgar Pirate Squad - 4 figures
Common Revna Pirate Squad - 4 figures
Volrak New Species Common Squad - 4 figures
$50 - 12 figures

Box 2: Aquilla and other "good forces" common squads and beasts
Common Dwarf Pirate Squad to bond with Dorim - 4 figures
Aquilla Common/Uncommon Beasts - 2 figures
Ullar Common/Uncommon Beasts - 2 figures
Aquilla Wyrmling - 2 figures
Revna Wormlings - 2 figures
$50 - 12 figures

Terrain Expansion
Swamp 2.0 with a new type of Laurs Ruins add-on or swamp trees/fallen logs

I like a lot of this
Old March 10th, 2024, 03:48 AM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I actually meant to say Valkrill not Volrak. I think they will axe Volrak from AoA and split up certain units across Valkrill and Revna. Vydar also needs kyrie still.

Aquila, Valkrill, and Revna need flag bearers at some point too. That could be a special release or replace a terrain pack for one of the waves.
Old March 10th, 2024, 07:48 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

The common theme here is more Avalon Hill AOA and Walls. If this is so, I'll be starting my buying with Wave 2! My question is whether any of the Faction Packs will duplicate what is already out for figure completion. For example, they have said the Promo figures of Drake and Shiori will be available later for everyone.
Old March 10th, 2024, 02:30 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
I actually meant to say Valkrill not Volrak. I think they will axe Volrak from AoA and split up certain units across Valkrill and Revna. Vydar also needs kyrie still.

Aquila, Valkrill, and Revna need flag bearers at some point too. That could be a special release or replace a terrain pack for one of the waves.

I'd be okay with them axing Volarak, I don't know what she adds thematically that can't already be covered by the existing generals
Old March 10th, 2024, 02:49 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
The common theme here is more Avalon Hill AOA and Walls. If this is so, I'll be starting my buying with Wave 2! My question is whether any of the Faction Packs will duplicate what is already out for figure completion. For example, they have said the Promo figures of Drake and Shiori will be available later for everyone.
I think you've hit the mark with the modular walls being the next terrain set. The Master Set has far fewer wall pieces than the Haslab, and I will almost certainly want more walls (but won't want multiple $100+ sets with only unique figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old March 10th, 2024, 09:59 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:

(I've omitted your predictions to avoid cluttering the thread, but I like most of them.)

I think much of what you've said is very believable, especially the idea of Renegade making safe decisions with AoA and nostalgic content. They're relaunching a long-dead game, so it would be in their best interest to push out material that caters directly to their prospective audience's desires. This is definitely also the purpose of the Heroscape launch survey, as a probe of their most dedicated fans' interests is a smart business decision for a creative endeavor like this.

I don't think we'll be seeing another Aquilla Dragon soon, though, nor more Wyrmlings. We already have Xenithrax in the AoA Master Set, and the Wyrmlings are technically a licensed property from the D&D era despite playing like homages to the classic Dragons.

Quote:
I would be very surprised if they axe Volarak; her crest is visible in the "opening gate" mini-movie on the new Heroscape webpage. I actually think Valkrill would be the more likely omission, as he might be tied too closely to WotC as another product of the D&D 'Scape era to be reused.

------------------------
I'd also like to revise my previous predictions, as I now believe we'll be seeing several Common Squads by Summer 2025. If Renegade is going to host mixed (new + classic) formats at their vaunted GenCon tournament, I doubt they'd lock some of the game's strongest and most fundamental army archetypes, specifically those involving massed (bonding) commons, behind units that have been out of production for over a decade. Doing so would place newer players at a significant disadvantage compared to long-term collectors.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion