Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old May 16th, 2008, 11:17 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Prince Caspian

I just got back from viewing the new Chronicles of Narnia film, Prince Caspian. I'm still sort of processing it in my mind. It has been years since I've read that particular book, so I had forgotten most of the plot, and thus cannot comment as to how faithfully the movie followed the book. (I'll probably read it again this week)

A few observations:

1. The film is pretty fast paced, yet is almost 2.5 hours long
2. Plenty of battle scenes and fighting.
3. Susan, in particular, kicks some serious butt. She reminded me of Legolas in the Lord of the Rings films with her extreme archery abilities.
4. The religious metaphors, while certainly present, are much more subtle than in The Lion, The Witch & the Wardrobe
5. The ice queen makes a brief, yet powerful appearance. Great scene!

While I definitely enjoyed it, I wasn't as impressed as with the first film. But that may be due to the same reason why of the three Lord of the Rings films, my favorite is The Fellowship of the Ring.

I'll probably be seeing it again tomorrow with my family (tonight was a young adult outing which they courteously allow me to attend since I'm their pastor.) I'll let you know how my opinion changes after after viewing.
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:52 PM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker
Re: Prince Caspian

I'm really looking forward to seeing this film. I loved the first movie, and I remember Prince Caspian being my favorite book in the series, though I can't really remember the plot either. I'm the opposite of you jb---the Two Towers was my favorite movie in the LOTR trilogy, so I'm hoping to like the sequel in this series more as well.
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:11 PM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!

I saw Caspian today and really liked it. It was definately a little darker than the first one, which is ok. Good effects, better acting than the first, a good movie overall.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

I remeber reading the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I didn't like it. It just seemed like they took a bunch of random animals and made them talk.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:50 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
I remeber reading the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I didn't like it. It just seemed like they took a bunch of random animals and made them talk.
Then you really need to read it again.
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:00 PM

stumpy_man is surprisingly tart

I thought it was a decent movie. Although there are some differences from the book (the part where they attacked the castle). I don't mind too much though if a movie is different from the book it is based on. I don't really want to see a movie where I know exactly what is going to happen at a the climax of the movie. Although you know the good guys win you still wonder what will happen because there are different circumstances.

I think this movie was better than the first in terms of acting, special effects, and total movie quality. I liked the battle scenes more too. In tLtWatW the armor, and battle seemed a little too goody goody and in Prince Caspian I think it captured the chaos of battle a little more effectively and the duel between Peter and Miraz is awesome. I think the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe had a better story line to it and better depicts what Narnia is.
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:06 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quick review, very quick. As a movie, this is better than the first. It does change a lot of things, but mostly deftly. Very fast paced. This is a good thing except during the emotional powerful parts where it needed to slow down they glossed over some poignant moments. Peter. Jeez. Ok, I like them making him and Caspian Alpha males and butting heads, but please don't make Peter useless. He is such a moron in the movie. Not a high king at all, more like High brawler. I could have forgiven all his idiocies though if at least it had been his idea to do the single combat, as a way to repay his error in the castle, but no, it was Caspian's idea, unlike the book. He doesn't even dictate the letter, which in the book is a great moment that shows him as the high king. All in all, Peter was a liability to Caspian rather than a help...sad.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

I'm taking my teens (I'm a youth Pastor) to this movie on the last day of school in a few weeks. I'm pretty excited to see it as well.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:11 PM

stumpy_man is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetcurse View Post
Quick review, very quick. As a movie, this is better than the first. It does change a lot of things, but mostly deftly. Very fast paced. This is a good thing except during the emotional powerful parts where it needed to slow down they glossed over some poignant moments. Peter. Jeez. Ok, I like them making him and Caspian Alpha males and butting heads, but please don't make Peter useless. He is such a moron in the movie. Not a high king at all, more like High brawler. I could have forgiven all his idiocies though if at least it had been his idea to do the single combat, as a way to repay his error in the castle, but no, it was Caspian's idea, unlike the book. He doesn't even dictate the letter, which in the book is a great moment that shows him as the high king. All in all, Peter was a liability to Caspian rather than a help...sad.
Yea that was weird. I didn't imagine Peter at all getting into a bunch of fights. He seemed a little big-headed.
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation

I just got back from the movie and it was annoying they were butting heads but predictable, though the movie didnt make a big a weenie of Peter as I thought it would from your description Sweetcurse.

It was a fast paced movie and didnt feel like 2 and a half hours at all. I really enjoyed it. My wife hid her face through most of it and then called it a chick flick at the end. That made me laugh alot.

Tiberius is Rogue...
aboard STARSHIP THETA...
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I haven't seen Caspian yet, but I am dreading watching it.
I have always loved the books, even the very first one, which they didn't make a movie about!
But I really don't want to see this, because the first one was so bad. The first one had horrible acting, and I hated seeing my favorite book turned into it!

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:17 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

This is a somewhat invalid opinion, since I haven't read the books or seen Caspian, but....

I saw the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe, and thought it would've been really good if they'd taken another half an hour and developed the four kids characters a bit more. I understand it's fate, and I understand the kids didn't have a lot of time to prepare for the battle, but it seemed to me that one minute, Peter was walking through a closet and the next minute he was leading an army into battle. It needed some more time to convince me that Peter (and the others) had accepted their destiny and were ready for it.

However, I will see Caspian - I'm a sucker for a good fantasy story.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies