Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old February 5th, 2007, 02:12 PM
has been BANNED

OmegaX01 is surprisingly tart
Climbing conundrum

I couldn't find anywere else this was covered so i put it here, if it's not in the right section please move to where it should go.. now then on to the situation.

I undersand that the rules say that one can only climb ones own hight. but to me this just sounds retarted. so i'm 6 foot tall.. if i come up against something more than 6 feet tall i can't climb up it? it really makes more sence to me to say as long as you have the move to make it to the top tile of where you are climbing then don't worry about the height thing.

it's not like it unbalances the game and in no way will replace flying characters or even srg. grapple gun. or even the monks for that matter but it does make more sence to me to say that mr 9 move spent all 9 of his move to climb a rock wall 8 tall. what does everyone else think?
Old February 5th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation
I think it was trying to be realistic in that if I cannot reach the top and pull myself up, it is going to take me longer than 1 turn to get up there.

Tiberius is Rogue...
aboard STARSHIP THETA...
Old February 5th, 2007, 02:40 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Re: Climbing conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaX01
I couldn't find anywere else this was covered so i put it here, if it's not in the right section please move to where it should go.. now then on to the situation.

I undersand that the rules say that one can only climb ones own hight. but to me this just sounds retarted. so i'm 6 foot tall.. if i come up against something more than 6 feet tall i can't climb up it? it really makes more sence to me to say as long as you have the move to make it to the top tile of where you are climbing then don't worry about the height thing.

it's not like it unbalances the game and in no way will replace flying characters or even srg. grapple gun. or even the monks for that matter but it does make more sence to me to say that mr 9 move spent all 9 of his move to climb a rock wall 8 tall. what does everyone else think?
What does everyone else think? I think you have the 1st edition rules, is what I think. A figure can't even climb its own height in this game.

2nd Edition, Page 10

Height Limit: A figure cannot move up a number of levels equal or higher than its Height number all at once.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old February 5th, 2007, 03:05 PM
"Mr. Zettian Handshake"

Jonathan knows what's in an order marker Jonathan knows what's in an order marker
Gotta keep the shorties in they place!
Old February 5th, 2007, 03:22 PM

Volaticus has disabled reputation
Okay here is what I think.

I think if you got the movement then sure its doable.

But I also think that horses, swogs, and other mounted definately cannot climb over their own height. (I cant see the Swog Rider running up the side of a wall to get to the top regardless of that excellent movement rate it has.)

The reason for my thinking is : Limiting the climbing movement really would limit the types of maps I could construct.

My opinion is you can just make it a house rule. But when playing the game by official rules stick with official rules and scenario / map design. Id Est Tournaments.

"The Love Of One Country Leads To The Hate Of Another."-Aliyaho Pierce
Old February 5th, 2007, 03:50 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
The height rules definitely make sense. Just because you have the move to get up there doesn't mean you can do it in the same amount of time. Swog Riders are a great example of a unit that can probably move VERY quickly on open land, but couldn't climb straight up very well at all. Also, keep in mind that there's no reason to believe you even have a handhold to climb up a sheer cliff. Remember, you're not really so much climbing as vaulting yourself up.

So... no. I think the current (2nd Edition) climbing/height rules make sense and should stay just the way they are.
Old February 5th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Geek Alert....

If anything could "vault" up to a level much higher than itself it would be a Swog. Sorry, I just have to stand up for the big kitties. Me Burq Sa's mount couldn't make a jump like that, but a large cat could.

Old February 5th, 2007, 04:54 PM

rehlers is surprisingly tart
I think that the height rule for climbing is fair and consistant with the rule for determining engagement where a height difference is involved. You have to draw the line for climbing somewhere.
Old February 5th, 2007, 05:23 PM

Will T is surprisingly tart
I agree with everyone who said the current rulebook makes sense. The typical human soldier, laden with weaponry and armor, would be hard pressed to scale anything greater than a six-foot vertical surface. If it makes sense that some creature should be able to climb over their head, a special ability can be used (i.e. Robo-rats).
Old February 5th, 2007, 05:39 PM

daevablacc has disabled reputation
I like the current system coz it allows a restriction on how quickly non-flyers can gain elevation, and forces ground units to follow certain paths to get up mountainsides. I think it is a good game mechanism.
Old February 5th, 2007, 05:40 PM
has been BANNED

OmegaX01 is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will T
I agree with everyone who said the current rulebook makes sense. The typical human soldier, laden with weaponry and armor, would be hard pressed to scale anything greater than a six-foot vertical surface. If it makes sense that some creature should be able to climb over their head, a special ability can be used (i.e. Robo-rats).
First off glad to see i'm not the only one to call them Robo-rats. but for the soldier comment i'll have to dissagree. i have a cousin who just finished army training and it's real easy for her to climb a 6 or 7 foot wall in combat gear alone. and sh'e just 5' 3".

if anything i would think that the climbing would be hight +1 or even just height, not height -1. now i'm 6' and i can easly reach the 8' ceiling in the house but could i get a grip nope. but if there was a ledge at 7' i could reach it and pull myself up... that is if i had the upper body strenght to do so. for the most part it's not really an issue as most characters have a move equal to their height +1 or less than that. but seeing that a monk can climb up a 33 height with the right terrain kinda makes srg grapple gun seem like a wimp.
Old February 5th, 2007, 05:48 PM

toddrew has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaX01
for the most part it's not really an issue as most characters have a move equal to their height +1 or less than that. but seeing that a monk can climb up a 33 height with the right terrain kinda makes srg grapple gun seem like a wimp.
Hey man, the monks are transcendental , but even so, the best they can do is a difference of 12 levels for the entire leap, start to finish and inbetween.

And for game mechanics reasons, I like the climbing/height rules just fine.

Also, welcome to the boards, OmegaX01!

And you can see her
Before it cracks and goes out
She throws rocks at streetlights
Keeps the streetlight changer busy

Floundering Customs Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's