Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old November 1st, 2015, 10:07 AM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!
Fish Facts You Probably Didn't Know

Found this article, and it fascinated me. Just thought I'd share.

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2015/10..._of100461.html

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old July 11th, 2016, 05:26 AM

Polenciusz is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Fish Facts You Probably Didn't Know

I have just found this, brilliant! thanks

something nice sons http://alldeco.pl/fr/
Old July 11th, 2016, 09:43 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Not a good necro.

The link in the OP is to some anti-science claptrap. It's not worth revisiting.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old July 11th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

This is dangerous waters, but before anyone pulls out the anti-religion pitch forks consider the following:

Science is a method not belief systems. When you apply that method incorrectly, you open yourself up to criticism and out right refusal. It is not that people aren't listening, it is that the methods and conclusions are false within the system. Using Science to prove religion is not how science works. Science does not prove your conclusions, Conclusions are drawn from observations (you might start with a hypothesis, but this is a question not an answer.

It would not be fair for anyone to use scripture to disprove existence of God. That is not how religion works. Belittling someone's beliefs is unfair, but calling out Scientific Crap is fair game.

That article is Scientific Crap. Spreading it is like spreading crap everywhere.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old July 12th, 2016, 09:40 AM
I probably just killed the joke - in comic sans

marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
This is dangerous waters, but before anyone pulls out the anti-religion pitch forks consider the following:

Science is a method not belief systems. When you apply that method incorrectly, you open yourself up to criticism and out right refusal. It is not that people aren't listening, it is that the methods and conclusions are false within the system. Using Science to prove religion is not how science works. Science does not prove your conclusions, Conclusions are drawn from observations (you might start with a hypothesis, but this is a question not an answer.

It would not be fair for anyone to use scripture to disprove existence of God. That is not how religion works. Belittling someone's beliefs is unfair, but calling out Scientific Crap is fair game.

That article is Scientific Crap. Spreading it is like spreading crap everywhere.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, just to clarify, are you saying science doesn't connect with religion, and that they're completely separate?

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

Old July 12th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

You can be Religious and Scientific. I don't see anything directly contradictory about holding faith in what cannot be proven and applying the scientific method to what can be. It is when you try to apply one to the other that we get into problems.

What I was trying to say is that a "scientist" is not necessarily welcome to walk into a Church and attempt to prove God does not exist. In church the Faith Argument is paramount.

In the same vain, the religious person cannot walk into a Science lab and use anything related to faith as their premise. If they do, they deserve to have their conclusions ripped apart. It just seems that people take that as attacking their religion (which is unfair), not their methods (which is fair). If one of your premises is predicated on "It says so in the <insert religious text here>" or "because I have faith" then your scientific investigation has ended.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old July 12th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Mayim Bialik, on reconciling her pursuit of science with her faith:
Quote:
Every time I fall more and more in love with science; with a scientific principle, with the human brain and the human capacity for compassion, with the anatomy of the eye and the way babies exit your body and make you feel like you finally understand the meaning of our existence; with the way your heart feels like it gets put in a blender when the person you’re in love with kisses you and holds you close; with the way every time I have some 40-year-old person ailment like my knees feeling weak and I get to learn how intricate the knee is; all of that stuff makes me feel part of a big, big world of existence. And it strengthens my understanding that I couldn’t create any of it even if I tried forever and into infinity. I can’t turn the tides and I can’t make gravity stop working. I can’t control the movement of subatomic particles and I can’t make someone love me if they don’t. I have no power over this Universe and that makes me love all of the things in the Universe and the powerlessness at the same time. And that’s what a scientist of faith looks like.
LINK

edit: I probably should include her conclusion.
Quote:
Do people kill in the name of religion? Yes. Is religion patriarchal? Absolutely. Do religious people sometimes lie, cheat, and steal by hiding behind their religiosity? Yup. People mess up religion all the time. But that doesn’t change the rainbow; the beauty of DNA replication; the presence of taste receptors on the feet of houseflies; the rush of oxytocin we get during orgasm that makes us bond to mates so that we can raise babies together…

God’s got it figured out. The Universe has it all figured out. We’re just trying to catch up.

And that catching up is what we call our existence. And you know what? Everything is awesome.
You don't need to abuse science to have faith.

= =
Old July 12th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Very cool DS.

Go Blossom!

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old July 21st, 2016, 12:33 AM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

@wriggz and @Dad_Scaper
Did you guys read the same article I read?

The major topics:

1) The "lateral line" on fish converts subtle changes in water pressure to electrical signals.

2) Fish have a lot of muscle mass and the muscles are arranged in a very unique way.

3) Fish are more effective at delivering oxygen throughout their bodies than other animals.

4) Fish can regrow their teeth.

5) Electric eels can locate prey with their electrical sense.

6) A simple filtration system can reduce or eliminate toxins in water.

7) A new "fish canon" might help salmon get over dams.

Which of those topics is "anti-science claptrap"?
Old July 21st, 2016, 12:49 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Well, the headline is a clue:
Quote:
More "Design of Life" Evidence: Salmon and Other Fish
And within:
Quote:
You can shrug off that fish story about how it evolved.
A simple glance at the top of the page tells you the website is advocacy for "intelligent design."
Quote:
Evolution News and Views (ENV) provides original reporting and analysis about the debate over intelligent design and evolution, including breaking news about scientific research.
Debate? What debate?

So, yeah, just keep your chocolate out of my peanut butter. Have your faith; there's no need to pretend that it's science. I don't need to go point for point through this article like an ichthyologist to see that it's published in "some anti-science claptrap," as I wrote above.

But go ahead and cite it in your research papers, I don't care. It's not my business.

= =
Old July 21st, 2016, 09:11 AM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Well, the headline is a clue:
Quote:
More "Design of Life" Evidence: Salmon and Other Fish
And within:
Quote:
You can shrug off that fish story about how it evolved.
A simple glance at the top of the page tells you the website is advocacy for "intelligent design."
Quote:
Evolution News and Views (ENV) provides original reporting and analysis about the debate over intelligent design and evolution, including breaking news about scientific research.
Debate? What debate?

So, yeah, just keep your chocolate out of my peanut butter. Have your faith; there's no need to pretend that it's science. I don't need to go point for point through this article like an ichthyologist to see that it's published in "some anti-science claptrap," as I wrote above.

But go ahead and cite it in your research papers, I don't care. It's not my business.
I still don't understand. I didn't mention faith in my post at all. I listed 7 scientific topics. The headline and that one sentence have nothing to do with the scientific claims of the article. Take them out and you change none of the facts.

But it seems like you are suggesting that the scientific facts stated about those 7 topics I mentioned are incorrect. I'd like to ask you show me one topic from the article that gets the scientific facts wrong or is anti-science or bad science.

Or to put the question this way: If the title of the article were changed to "Facts about Fish" and that one sentence you mentioned was deleted, would it still "anti-science claptrap"?
Old July 21st, 2016, 10:29 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Chocolate, and peanut butter, dang it. Thanks guys, now I want a Reese's. Carry on fellas.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General