Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old October 17th, 2014, 12:54 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Magic: the Gathering Strategy Board Game (Looks HeroScap

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
As the cards are, they're not compatible. 3-life squads? No class/personality/species? References to spell cards? Powers that reference wounded squad figures? I think it would be a really baller move for the company to release Heroscape cards with the product. It wouldn't take that much more production cost, would expand the audience of the game, and I'm sure they could get volunteer playtesting pretty easily.
Just handle the 3 life squads as we do uncommon heroes. I didn't see the spell card references, but yeah, that's something to handle. I don't think the class/personality/species is an issue. They just don't have one. (So no 4th mass bonus since they aren't valiant, etc... though they could get a disciplined personality from Parmenio... )

Agreed on the baller move...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
I'm going to guess there will be a substantial problem with this approach. Card size and shape of these army cards allows for a smaller booster package. That is more units per carton, more product on less shelf space (big pro for retailers and hence distribution), and a whole lot less space for the unwieldy Heroscape army cards.
Card size is no issue, I think? Lots of us already use regular cards instead of the big ones.
Old October 17th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
Quote:
I'm going to guess there will be a substantial problem with this approach. Card size and shape of these army cards allows for a smaller booster package. That is more units per carton, more product on less shelf space (big pro for retailers and hence distribution), and a whole lot less space for the unwieldy Heroscape army cards.
Card size is no issue, I think? Lots of us already use regular cards instead of the big ones.
We're talking about two different things. You are talking about end users using traditionally shaped rectangular cards. I'm talking about the manufacturer putting original Heroscape shaped cards in a smaller package without folding.
Old October 17th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBeeblebrox View Post
I'm excited for this. Always have loved Magic world, but never wanted to invest the money into a card game.

Now we get "heroscape" map boards, a spell mechanic, new squad mechanic and new figures all to be used with my heoscape. Horray!!

Regardless if they decide to make it compatible, this community has a new resource for all kinds of customs....and that in it self is worth celebrating.

Thanks to CVN for using "Heroscape" as your model and giving Scapers a nice present.

-ZB, banking money now for new additions to my collection.
That's exactly how I feel! The game sounds like a great Magic-like spinoff of Heroscape, and even if I don't like the game there are in-scale miniatures and super-easy-to-set-up tiles in the set.

I bet once it releases there will be a lot of customs turning Heroscape figures into Magic figures and vice versa. I'd love to see a green planeswalker summoning Vipers or a red planeswalker summoning Marro.
Old October 17th, 2014, 01:08 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubobj View Post
Look at Lilliana's ability.
Mind Sizzle: Target any squad figure that has one or more damage markers and is within 6 clear sight spaces of this figure. Destroy the target figure. Use this ability one per turn.

So squads will have a way of tracking damage markers. Theres gotta be something more than just "If the scathe zombie card has 3 damage marker all 3 scathe zombies die". Also what if you can have more than 1 squad of zombies. How do you determine which squad members belong to which card? Lots of questions and lots of speculations.
It might be that a squad shares the life total, and once the card has all the wounds required all of the models are removed. That would work with the powers present, but it would represent a big shift tactically in squad effectiveness.

And as far as assigning a squad to a card, that's irrelevant because this game doesn't use order markers. I would think if you summon a second squad of them, you just put three more models on the board and like any common squad, pick any three to move and attack on your turn. If the card gets three wounds, you remove any three squad figures. Or maybe you just can't have more than 1 squad of figures on the board at a time?

Old October 17th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I would bet there aren't any common squads in the Heroscape sense.
Old October 17th, 2014, 01:22 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Doesn't Magic let you put multiple instances of the same card into play?

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 17th, 2014, 01:29 PM

winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I know speculation is fun, but I wouldn't spend too much time trying to guess. As a longtime Magic and Heroscape player... there are many different ways to handle these situations, and as stated... it isn't Magic, and it isn't Heroscape... so although things will be themed (Deathtouch, Unsummon) with Magic cards... exact mechanics aren't going to be direct ports from either game.

Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Q9...

Check out my
customs, maps and mods!

Trades Here.
Old October 17th, 2014, 01:33 PM

Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby!

Also, CVN could just be using HS tile sets as they are easily available to him and the hex board layout is typical of strategy games. Could just be a stand in convenience thing. ALTHOUGH, they did say the sculpts were basically final, just not painted yet. O.o

PM me about any custom scenery
Old October 17th, 2014, 01:39 PM

winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The fact the "interlocking" edges were printed on the maps leads me to believe there will be some 'Scape esque features of map building. I think the review even said something about the battlefield changing...

Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Q9...

Check out my
customs, maps and mods!

Trades Here.
Old October 17th, 2014, 04:10 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
We're talking about two different things. You are talking about end users using traditionally shaped rectangular cards. I'm talking about the manufacturer putting original Heroscape shaped cards in a smaller package without folding.
Yeah, I get that. My point is that you can get the same info on the rectangular cards, so it wouldn't bother me at all if these hypothetical 'heroscape compatible' cards were now produced in the rectangles. I agree that the original cards were too large for small packaging; I just figure that the easy way to overcome that is to make smaller rectangular cards. (Like the ones in the pictures.)

That would still feel fully compatible to me. (Your mileage may vary, of course.)
Old October 17th, 2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winonavampire View Post
I know speculation is fun, but I wouldn't spend too much time trying to guess. As a longtime Magic and Heroscape player... there are many different ways to handle these situations, and as stated... it isn't Magic, and it isn't Heroscape... so although things will be themed (Deathtouch, Unsummon) with Magic cards... exact mechanics aren't going to be direct ports from either game.
But, but.... speculation is fun!
Old October 17th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Quest Quitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by winonavampire View Post
But, but.... speculation is fun!
I don't think he was around for the teaser pictures from conventions back in the day.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion