Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old September 11th, 2016, 11:38 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Dr. G's Repaints+ - Update 2/19

Hey-o, these are my reprints and whatnot! If you like my stuff, lemme know. If you don't, lemme know how to make it better.

My not most recent repaints/mods:
Spoiler Alert!

Friends' Repaints:
Spoiler Alert!

Original post.
Spoiler Alert!

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN

Last edited by Dr.Goomonkey; November 10th, 2021 at 08:32 PM.
Old September 12th, 2016, 02:20 AM

darius23__14 knows what's in an order marker darius23__14 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Figure Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Goomonkey View Post
I am thinking of getting into repainting guys. I remember years ago painting Lord of the Rings miniatures with a friend of mine, but I've never really done any myself.

Seeing as I haven't done any myself, I don't know what to buy to get started.

What would you recommend buying? I don't want to spend too much money, if I can help it, but would like a good quality set of paints and brushes and whatever else I should buy.

Also, any tips for technique would also be appreciated.

Thanks!
I would recommend searching the site because there are PLENTY of threads and tutorials that should answer your questions. But to answer your question it depends on what you are capable of and want to do... an average pack of artists brushes, some acrylic paints (Apple Barrel from your local art store is recommended as a cheap starter by the MANY people who have already made threads with this kind of information), and then some kind of sealer would be a good place to start.
Old September 12th, 2016, 07:00 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Hi @Dr.Goomonkey

I am just getting started into painting myself. I have discovered that personally I am not completely satisfied with the inexpensive craft paint, though I know that many people are and have great success with them. I personally started looking at the more expensive hobby paints and researching to see which ones are the best for your money. The most popular brands out there are Citadel, Reaper, Privateer Press, Vallejo, and Army Painter. From what I read they are all good quality paints and many people use a mixture of all these brands depending on what they are working on.

I have tried both Vallejo and P3 and like them both very much. Price wise, Citadel is far and away the most expensive. I have personally decided to start with Vallejo Model Color paint because it is cheaper than some of the others, and easy for me to come by because it is stocked in the local Hobby Lobby stores.

Some of these companies sell some nice starter sets too. Here is one by Army Painter that @Hahma told me about in this thread. Reaper has some nice learn-to-paint kits that come with practice miniatures like this, this, and this. Vallejo has sets like here, and here. And Citadel has some too. One piece of advice that I see repeated constantly is to invest in a good Sable hair brush. Size 1 seems to be the most popular size. I would suggest trying a few brands out and seeing what you like. Other than that I would suggest looking on youtube for painting tutorials. That is what I have been doing and there are some good ones out there. I hope this helps even though it's coming from someone nearly as new to the hobby as yourself.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.

Last edited by keglo; September 12th, 2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old September 12th, 2016, 06:23 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks guys! Looking at Amazon Vallejo looks like what I'll probably go with. Would I need a sealer or anything with those paints?

I can't wait to ruin some of my RotV figures

Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old September 12th, 2016, 11:25 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Personally, I love using the cheap Walmart craft paints. You can see examples of some of my paint jobs here: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=51995
Old September 13th, 2016, 08:27 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

In the Arena of the planeswalker painting thread there was a healthy discussion on methods of painting. I think it starts on page 7. There are also some excellent examples.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old September 13th, 2016, 10:23 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Personally, I love using the cheap Walmart craft paints. You can see examples of some of my paint jobs here: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=51995
I've never had a problem here as well. Apple barrel are fine by me. I've painted tons of figures with them coming out fine. Check my mod thread in my sig. All that stuff is painted using cheap paints. I've never bought into paying huge amounts of money for stuff I can get cheaper. Your money, your decision.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old September 13th, 2016, 03:19 PM

MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby!

I have painted minis for a couple of decades now. I began with Citadel paints, when they weren't as expensive and super high quality (still have some around since the 90s, fresh).

Nowadays I mostly use Vallejo (model color) as they are affordable, last a lot, and are very good quality. You should be able to find some basic Vallejo colors for a nice price.

The best advice I can give you though, is to use a good primer. This is a kind of paint that helps stick future paint layers to the plastic, plus serves as a base color for the mini.
Old September 13th, 2016, 04:10 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MementoMori View Post

The best advice I can give you though, is to use a good primer. This is a kind of paint that helps stick future paint layers to the plastic, plus serves as a base color for the mini.
Do you have a specific recommendation?

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old September 13th, 2016, 04:15 PM

MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby!

Easiest: Black spray primer from Citadel. A bit costly, but easy to use and dark base covers most beginner mistakes. For brighter colors, white primer.

More flexibility: Brush on primers (from vallejo for example). This way you have more choices on base colors. A bit more tricky to apply if you're beginning, you run the risk of covering details with excess paint. These cost about the same as a regular paint bottle.

There're tons of video tutorials about priming and painting in youtube. It's worth watching them.
Old September 13th, 2016, 07:30 PM

JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:
I've never had a problem here as well. Apple barrel are fine by me. I've painted tons of figures with them coming out fine. Check my mod thread in my sig. All that stuff is painted using cheap paints. I've never bought into paying huge amounts of money for stuff I can get cheaper. Your money, your decision.
I also use paint from Walmart and cheap ones from Hobby Lobby as well. You can check ouy my paint. mod thread and terrrain thread to see my painting.
Old September 15th, 2016, 02:18 PM
On vacation...

Hmm... I think I'll start with some cheap paints, seeing as they're getting all sorts of love. I'll keep you guys posted when I get around to getting supplies!

Q3C Custom Contests
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions