Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:02 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Enjoying the dry spell?

I thought I was the only one who got a sort of perverse pleasure out of long waits between releases, but apparently not.

When I hear that new stuff is getting delayed, my major response is unhappiness, but there's also an odd undercurrent of satisfaction. In my case, some of it comes from the fact that I don't have all units and I can go online and expand my collection whether there's a new release or not. Part of it is that my opponents take a while to get used to new figures, and there's kind of a dip in the challenge level at my table when I buy new Heroscape. So some of it has to do with my particular situation. And some of it has to do with not really liking the new unit threads. People's eyes suddenly develop blind spots corresponding to those boring words like "Special Attack" and "small or medium."

(Right now, yet another part is that the fluff of Wave 8 just leaves me cold. Spiders and new trees are exciting; Kato, Zelrig, and the MarCav might be cool; I'm glad we get more spellcasters, but... a wave and a half with one high-tech unit!? At least Einar's getting more guns.)

There's more to it than that, though. When a new wave hits, my first and strongest response is definitely "Yay, more stuff!" But there's also a twinge of... I'm not quite sure what. I think it's regret for the loss of my knowledge of strengths and relationships, knowledge that's now partially obsolete. I enjoyed building that knowledge, and I was proud of it when it was built; now it's not what it once was. Who else feels this way?
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation
Re: Enjoying the dry spell?

I do know what you mean. It has been a long time without anything new but then when I think about it, Wave 7 never really our stores here very thoroughly so I never even got a chance to pick up the templars yet, or multiples of the ashigaru.

I cant even say I have played with all the figures I do have, though with the shear number of tournaments my friends and I participate in, I am slowly working through the ranks of different units trying out different combinations just for fun. I had never used Acolarh before and I took him to the last tournament, and found he put on a decent showing for himself. But Continuously getting more and more new stuff stifles getting really good with any one thing. What am I saying? Bring on the new stuff!

Seriously though, I am really looking forward to the new sets. I think they could have foregone with the Aquilla general as I think they could have wrapped his stuff into Ullar's army, but that adds flavor and fluff as well. No problems there.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:53 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!

I have to disagree with you for once. I had a big surprise when I stopped to think about it one evening. I was really excited for something coming out in June, when it was supposed to come out last October or thereabouts. It still feels far away.

I'm sort of excited to see all the reactions to new units, and who figures out how best to use them first. It'll be the first time that I'll feel I actually understand the game pretty well when new stuff comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:06 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Having played Magic for years I have to say a dry spell every now and then is a very nice change of pace. While I'm very excited to get new stuff, it's nice to take a break from collecting and just play!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
317-149
C3V Brainstorm
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:21 AM

waycoolsuperdude is surprisingly tart

I feel kind of like its Christmas or a birthday or whatever special day you might look forward to. You know it only comes once a year and the anticipation really builds up, especially the closer you get to that day. The expectation of all the great things that you know are coming your way drives you giddy. The night before this momentous occasion you can't even sleep. Then the BIG DAY finally arrives. All your pent-up emotion issues forth as you rip open the beautifully wrapped presents. Oohs and aahs and rounds of thank you's fill the room... Glorious, glorious, glorious!!

Then you are done. That special day is through. Sure, you got some really nice stuff, but there's always a bit of a let down. Maybe you didn't get that one thing you were so excited about, that one thing that if you got would have been better than everything else combined. Now, with the day finished, all you have to look forward to is another year.

With these long dry spells, that is how I feel. I like the anticipation of new Heroscape almost as much as getting new Heroscape. Rip open the boxes, read the cards, figure out new synergies and strategies, ooh and aah over the figures. Then there is always the let down. Inevitably, there is always at least one unit that could have been "a little better." Tweak the stat, reduce the price, whatever. It just isn't quite what I was hoping for. I hope the rest of the teasers are just that... teasers. Give us the specials, but not the stats or vice versa or a little of both, just not the whole card. If we get all the info now, why bother releasing them in another month? There is no anticipation. Tease me, please!
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:29 AM

heroscaper314 is surprisingly tart

While I am eager for new units to come out, I have to agree with you rdhight. Usually the only person I get to play with is my dad, and when I first started playing Heroscape, we were pretty evenly matched. The problem is, while I've been collecting every Heroscape pack that comes out, and spending all of my time on here reading about them, the only time my dad ever even looks at the cards is on the rare occasions that we play. And since I'm so much more familiar with the units than he is, now he is no match for me. On the other hand though, I think it's gotten to the point where it'll take him a couple of years (since we only really play once a month at most) to catch up to me, whether new units come out or not.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:33 AM

tyguy94920 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by waycoolsuperdude View Post
I feel kind of like its Christmas or a birthday or whatever special day you might look forward to. You know it only comes once a year and the anticipation really builds up, especially the closer you get to that day. The expectation of all the great things that you know are coming your way drives you giddy. The night before this momentous occasion you can't even sleep. Then the BIG DAY finally arrives. All your pent-up emotion issues forth as you rip open the beautifully wrapped presents. Oohs and aahs and rounds of thank you's fill the room... Glorious, glorious, glorious!!

Then you are done. That special day is through. Sure, you got some really nice stuff, but there's always a bit of a let down. Maybe you didn't get that one thing you were so excited about, that one thing that if you got would have been better than everything else combined. Now, with the day finished, all you have to look forward to is another year.

With these long dry spells, that is how I feel. I like the anticipation of new Heroscape almost as much as getting new Heroscape. Rip open the boxes, read the cards, figure out new synergies and strategies, ooh and aah over the figures. Then there is always the let down. Inevitably, there is always at least one unit that could have been "a little better." Tweak the stat, reduce the price, whatever. It just isn't quite what I was hoping for. I hope the rest of the teasers are just that... teasers. Give us the specials, but not the stats or vice versa or a little of both, just not the whole card. If we get all the info now, why bother releasing them in another month? There is no anticipation. Tease me, please!
You forgot to Embrace the Suck!

Horray! I got sig linked to!

Click Above for My Sig Link
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:57 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby!

It's taken a toll on me.
Seriously, I need something new soon - sneak peek, card scan, oops photo release of Wave 9 - anything. As it is now, I have no grand interest in mapmaking, customs, whatever.
Heck, birds have become more interesting!

It was a grand time speculating in the Badru thread. I miss that type of fun from this site. I don't mean cold speculating from typo-riddled info, but an actual tidbit of card/ability like Pounce.

I'm ecstatic to get a big lump of toys in June to make up for the long drought.
Here's hoping Wave 9 will be released sooner.

More sneak peeks, please!
I'm dying here.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:10 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Since I am a fairly new collector almost everything is new to me. So the delay only gives me more time to try and catch up on the older stuff. But I have to admit that it will be nice to actually get a new item at the same time everyone does, for once.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:15 PM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation

I am excited about new units coming out. But I am also glad that they do not come out too many in a short period of time. My problem is money, and I won't be able to appreciate all of the units at the level they deserve.
I am looking forward to the Jungle set the most, probably because it will add to and change the landscape of map creating in a big way. And I am really excited about it! Other new stuff for me is just new figures, as any other time when a new Wave comes up, no more, no less .

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:27 PM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

I love the dry spells. I still haven't broken in my wave 7 figs. I've got a pile of figures I've hardly played with and each new release makes that pile larger. I'd be happy if we had an even longer spell as long as I know that someday there would be another release.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 02:41 PM

DarkBladeCB is surprisingly tart

I can say, as a new player, the dry spell has honestly been a great time to get into the game. It's allowed me to get about 2/3 of the figures in the game, with 2x every common that I own, and really learn the basics of what's out there before being bombarded with all the new figures. Now, I'd still like 3x of the commons I have and really like and I definitely need all those terrain packs I don't have (I just have RttFF), but the dry spell has allowed me to put together at least a respectable Heroscape collection and learn the game in time for it to get back on track. I hope that releases won't be quite as nuts as Magic--like Necro mentioned--or some other TCGs that never give you time to catch your breath and for a genuine metagame to be established. I personally feel that cards and figures should be milked for all they're worth... and new stuff shouldn't come out until we're almost bored. Now if exams could be over so me and my friends could have some time to play...

"Comics are a wellspring of imagination; comics can tell stories cheaply that other mediums cannot express. Today it costs $100 million to do special effects on film in 'Fantastic Four' that Jack Kirby could create 40 years ago with a pencil."
-Grant Morrison, at the New Yorker Festival

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion