Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender
AotP Blender A place to discuss AotP customs and ways to integrate Heroscape with AotP.

Old July 10th, 2016, 08:32 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Porting AotP Into Scape

Commons + Raelin = Victory.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old July 10th, 2016, 10:37 PM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

@wriggz They are balanced for their mode but are cheaper than HS mode due to functionality.
Charos in AotP would be closer to 150pts

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.
Old July 11th, 2016, 04:59 AM

chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death!

Confred,

Could you elaborate more on your functionality comment? What do you mean by this?
Old July 11th, 2016, 08:31 AM

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Figures in AotP have a different function than they do in HS.
I discovered this after a dozen or so playtests when I was doing my Portal conversion.
Giving the squad figures more than 1 Life really upped the power demand for heroes. Otherwise, it would nearly be a waste of a summon.
In Magic: the Gathering, there are weak cheap creatures. When I converted them to HS/AotP, they seemed vastly underpowered and like a waste of plastic. I did things like make them have 4 figures per squad or be only 20pts, etc. After testing, I discovered that all this wasn't necessary in most situations.

Screening is a new/more important aspect of AotP. AotP is like chess, it's about protecting and taking out the King. Cheap squad figures could be summoned to surround your PW and act as a melee barrier. They can be summoned at an opportune time to create a wall.
Single figure heroes, even double-spaced, make weak walls.

Creatures can almost be ignored. There is no need to take creatures out, when their PW is in Range, unless your own PW is in relevant danger. This is another power demand on heroes.

The solution is either to make squads way more expensive or to make heroes way cheaper. To better fit into 'scape, the former would be better. For whatever reason, this didn't happen.
To rebalance, we would need to change the points of both due to this decision.

Old July 11th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

So @Confred, In your experience, would a strong AotP army be A+ or better? I wonder if the switch from Kill the king to Kill 'em all reduces the effectiveness of the AotP forces and thus raises their cost compared to classic units.

Seems like swarms and assassins in Heroscape would cause problems for the Planeswalkers. Reminds me of the "You can mix, but it is not recommended" line from Marvel Scape, where the super high point totals made the units play differently and made it hard to balance.

I still look forward to mixing them up and running a few C3G figures in to boot. I think Thor could really put the hurt on Planeswalkers, even with their spell decks.

wriggz's custom Figures and Terrain

Have a Question? Take it to the Dump.

Want to Learn More? Go to the Library.
Old July 11th, 2016, 09:08 AM

@wriggz Marvelscape was more closely balanced.

Changing to kill them all would in fact make it tougher on HS vs AotP due to the multiple lives. AotP are pound for pound tougher - except the PW's themselves.
- an interesting thought and house rule:
* If you draft a Planeswalker and it is destroyed, you lose the game (at the end of the round).
* Creatures must start the game in reserve.

: Having that nasty drawback could possibly justify the low points of creatures without further need to customize points.

So an AotP army would be stronger, but the HSers would only need to take out the commander while every figure in their own army must be destroyed.

I like this rule and will be adopting it to my own games.

Last edited by Confred; July 11th, 2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old July 11th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Unless Shadows Over Innistrad changed things, the default for Arena of the Planeswalkers is kill 'em all. However, you do lose all your ability to play spells when your planeswalker dies so it's still a very important piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old July 11th, 2016, 09:43 AM

@quozl Blikey! You are correct! I have the book here on my lap. AotP has turn limits by default and at the end, highest remaining points wins.
Where the heck did I come up with the "Kings" rule? Now I have to rethink everything!? I've almost played a dozen games, literally closer to fifty including self-playtesting, and all with that rule! ��
Lol, the change sure will make the Ruiner boss battle easier lolo

Old July 11th, 2016, 11:05 AM

chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death!

Perhaps you were just reflecting on the fact that in AOTP, once the PW goes the whole army is pretty much finished, unless you are just about to strike after that and win with a creature.

One possibility for adjustment would be to break down the starting build points for a player in a Blended game into Scape Points and AOTP Points. In which case the different point scales in the two games would be compensated for automatically!
Old July 11th, 2016, 12:13 PM

igelkott is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confred View Post
@quozl Blikey! You are correct! I have the book here on my lap. AotP has turn limits by default and at the end, highest remaining points wins.
Where the heck did I come up with the "Kings" rule? Now I have to rethink everything!? I've almost played a dozen games, literally closer to fifty including self-playtesting, and all with that rule! ��
Lol, the change sure will make the Ruiner boss battle easier lolo
You were correct to begin with. Read p. 17, Battlefield 1: The Duel:

Quote:
Victory: The first player to destroy the other player’s Planeswalker wins. If the battle reaches the
end of turn 30, then the battle is over and the player with the most cost points on the battlefield
wins (see Scoring, on page 12).
Battlefield 2 is the same, but you have to get both PWs.
Old July 11th, 2016, 12:29 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Those are scenario objectives, igelkott. The default victory condition is kill 'em all. Check page 7 of the original rulebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old July 11th, 2016, 12:44 PM

igelkott is surprisingly tart

There must be different rulebooks. I don't have the hardcopy with me so I'm looking at the PDF from hasbro. There's nothing about killemall that I can find.

p.3 "Object Be the first player to achieve your victory condition."

p.12 "Ending the Game The game scenario sets the victory conditions for each
game. However, if the game hasn’t ended by the time you’ve
played a certain number of turns, the player with the most
points wins. See Scoring, below."

and p.7 says absolutely nothing about objectives.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender