Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games
Card Games Including 'collectable' card games.

Old August 25th, 2010, 12:04 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Dominion.

Got my second game in today with a random deck, and I was really impressed at how different it was with a different set of cards. I was throne rooming and snapping up every card I could ("silver? Awesome! Cellar? Sure! Copper? Why not?) to fuel my garden frenzy. I ended up getting eight of the 10 gardens and winning despite my wife's lead in gold and provinces, and her annoying tendency to thieve my silver right after my beuracrat put it on the deck.
Old August 25th, 2010, 04:28 PM

Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
and her annoying tendency to thieve my silver right after my beuracrat put it on the deck.
You do know that you draw a new hand right after you finish your cleanup phase?

Quote:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:19 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
and her annoying tendency to thieve my silver right after my beuracrat put it on the deck.
You do know that you draw a new hand right after you finish your cleanup phase?
Ah, you're right! I knew that and generally play that way, but she was fast on the draw! That lady is clever. We played another game today and she kept throwing moats in front of my witch. I still managed to win, but it was our closest game yet. (53-47.)

It is so awesome to find a good game that my wife will play with me and that can be played quickly.
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:23 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2007, 2009, & 2012

MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby!

We've gotten some more plays in with Prosperity. I'm kind of convinced that King's Court is likely the most disgusting card in the set. I think many times I'd buy it over my first Province just because of explosiveness gained by tripling an action.

We've randomized between using Platinum/Colonies as suggested by rolling a 10 sider for the amount of Prosperity cards involved. For instance if there are 3 Prosperity cards drawn then there is a 30% change Colonies/Platinum will be involved. It certainly keeps things fresh and limits the longer games caused by involving those two cards.

Grenade lobbyist
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:28 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattserTruckRally View Post
We've gotten some more plays in with Prosperity. I'm kind of convinced that King's Court is likely the most disgusting card in the set. I think many times I'd buy it over my first Province just because of explosiveness gained by tripling an action.

We've randomized between using Platinum/Colonies as suggested by rolling a 10 sider for the amount of Prosperity cards involved. For instance if there are 3 Prosperity cards drawn then there is a 30% change Colonies/Platinum will be involved. It certainly keeps things fresh and limits the longer games caused by involving those two cards.
I have been randomizing too, by drawing one out of the 10 selected.

I was thinking it would be fun to play them in games without any prosperity cards too, so I was thinking maybe just always have it be a 50% chance or 25 or 33 maybe?
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:11 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I have soooo much catching up to do with this game. Just got Intrigue the other day and we haven't yet used all the cards from the original. Guess we'll just have to play... a lot. Darn...

-insert signature here-
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Previous Version : lafleurhero

Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I have Dominion, Alchemy, Intrique, and Seaside all, so I'm only missing one expansion. I came up with an idea how to randomize the deck but still have it stay playable. Anyone that has combined all these knows that you can end up with some combo's of cards that just don't make sense and have nor purpose. Instead now I do a partial random, partial picked card kinda thing. For an example in a 3 player game: Deal out 4 cards to the table for a base set and then 10 more cards to each player, setting the rest aside. Each player then picks 2 cards and places them face down on the table, putting the other 8 away based off the original 4 cards. Now you have your 10 cards that are still random but much more likely to be useable together. Of course this can change to tastes, could do more random with 7 cards on the table and each player just picks 1, or however you want to do it.

Also with original plus Intrique you can realisticly play 8 players on one table even though the book says 6. Just add 1 more draw pile for each player over 4, also add 1 more to be depleated for every 2 people. Adding Seaside and/or alchemy you can even really go up to 10 people as long as you make sure that some of the extra cards are different types of victory points. In this case I would drop the rule about running out of Provence cards ending the game, just treat them like normal supply cards.

Finally since I have all of these, I change everything so I have everything in alphabetical order and in just the 3 big boxes. I use the Alchemy box just for the randomizer cards and Seaside place mats. Anyone that has that set probably had the same problem about storing those that I did and this solved that problem for me.

Dominion is a great game, Probably now my 4th favorite.
5th: Kingsburg
4th: Dominion
3rd: Descent
2nd: Smallworld
1st: Uh, duh
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

2x Dominion last night. Trounced the family for the first game.

2nd game, my wife bought an Estate because she only had 2 copper and forgot about the moat. I teased her about it once her turn was over.

She won, 43-42-24. Darn Estate

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:45 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Played two games of Dominion with Intrigue last night. Ive been getting my wife to play this a lot more. Its a game she really likes but doesn't enjoy the shuffling. Last night it helped out that I had everything all set up when we got home.

Of the two games we played, one of them ended up being my most fun experience with the Intrigue cards. Our setup was: Pawn, Steward, Shanty Town, Feast, Remodel, Minion, Torturer, Mine, Trading Post, Harem.

My ending deck was: Minion x3, Shanty Town x2, Pawn x2, Trading Post, Steward, Silver x3, Gold x2, Harem x6, Province x4, Duchy, Curse

I had a lot of choices with my cards. There was numerous times Id have to take a second and play through some of my choices in my head before making the final decision. My favorite play was Pawn choosing action/buy then playing Shanty Town while sitting with 3 xSilver/Harem. Minions were mostly used for coin unless I was able to play one as my last card in hand. Trading Post was what really helped the deck fire. I believe I won mainly because of how early I was able to get Trading Post to start working for me.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Old December 30th, 2010, 07:29 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

I just recently discovered Dominion and gave it to my family in the States for Christmas. I haven't gotten to play with any expansions yet (except online, but not all the cards are there), but I'm looking forward to trying out Prosperity and Alchemy when I get back. Amazon had an action where you got the base set and those two expansions for a reduced price.

We're playing with just the base set at my school in Germany, and we've discovered a ton of ways to mix it up even with just the base deck.

One variation is to use all the cards in the base set, but only as many as there are players (4 players - 4 moats, 4 markets, etc.) I think this is by far our favorite variation.

We also stacked them in piles according to costs, shuffled them, then laid them facedown. You could choose a price to pay and then try your luck on which random card you got. That was fun too, but then the focus was more on gold and provinces because of the risky factor of buying the other cards.

Another thing we tried was making it to where only one of each card in play was available to buy until every card had been bought at least once. That made it interesting too because the exclusivity increased and if a player wanted something that was already 'sold out,' they might have to buy some less-than-ideal cards to get to it.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:48 AM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
Amazon had an action where you got the base set and those two expansions for a reduced price.
Amazon: Action. +2 Buy. If you purchase Dominion this turn, Prosperity and Alchemy cost -1.
Old January 9th, 2011, 06:32 AM

RichardD has disabled reputation

I played a LOT of standard Dominion (mostly on BSW, but plenty face-to-face). But apart from the Intrigue cards that made it to BSW, I've not played much Intrigue, very little Seaside, some Alchemy and no Prosperity. I didn't get bored with the game - I just put it to one side until I found a carrying solution that could handle more than 35 Action cards (the limit on my shop-bought carycase.

This week should see me finish - after about 6 months of work - an oak carrying case. Almost ruined lots of work last night when I discovered that you really, really have to drill pilot holes if you're screwing into oak (because otherwise you shred brass screws, and if the heads shred before they are fully in, you've got a HUGE problem). But all that's left to do now is to screw the top half on square, then add the catches and handles.

I have two photos of the work progress here (together with pics of the prototype, big enough to hold just the base game):
http://picasaweb.google.com/RDewsber...eat=directlink

The finished case will be big enough to hold everything up to and including Cornucopia (if you don't know, I'm not authorised to tell you), but no expansions past that. So I'll have to stop buying (but 130+ different actions will be enough, won't it?).

I've also been supplying people with perfectly-sized sleeves. I think I imported almost 100,000 card sleeves from Korea (and have just 2,000 left).

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games