Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old April 29th, 2009, 03:31 AM

firehouse10000 Woo who?
Question about water tiles?

Sorry if this has been answered (and I am sure it has) but I have been looking for an hour or so and can't find a real answer. Do water tiles count as a level or count for height advantage? A friend of mine says yes because if he is in water his base is lower or higher than mine depending on what level the water is on. He was reading the unit crossfire column in HScodex #10 that one of the advantages for using a character that has a wateruit is that "it negates the height advantage for being in water." I didn't think that water counted but I need clarification.

Thanks!
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:23 AM

Bill Newby knows what's in an order marker Bill Newby knows what's in an order marker
Re: Question about water tiles?

Water has no "height". Think of it like this ... if a water tile is placed directly on your playing surface, it has a height of 0. A terrain tile placed next to the water is at height 1.
That convention applies no matter what the underlying surface actually is.
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:58 AM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

From the rule book:

"When figuring height, remember that glyphs, water, and swamp waters tiles do not add height to the space they're on." (SotM page 12 column 2 paragraph 3)
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Richard rolls all skulls baby! Richard rolls all skulls baby! Richard rolls all skulls baby! Richard rolls all skulls baby!

The thought is that the "water" is on the surface of the hex and the bottom of the body of water is the hex(es) you put it on.

Strong arms and sharp steel rule this world.
Never believe any different.
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:36 AM

Kobu knows what's in an order marker Kobu knows what's in an order marker

I wonder how your friend thought Water Suits negated the supposed height advantage for being in water. Reading the power would have shown that the power adds to defense...
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:46 AM

puzzlemonkey rolls all skulls baby! puzzlemonkey rolls all skulls baby! puzzlemonkey rolls all skulls baby! puzzlemonkey rolls all skulls baby! puzzlemonkey rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobu View Post
I wonder how your friend thought Water Suits negated the supposed height advantage for being in water. Reading the power would have shown that the power adds to defense...
My guess is that an awkward phrasing or reading is involved somewhere, such as "The water suit negates the height advantage your opponent gets when you're in the water" or something of that sort.

As in, "if I have a water suit, I'm no longer penalized for going in the water on the base level of the map..."
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:00 PM

firehouse10000 Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Newby View Post
Water has no "height". Think of it like this ... if a water tile is placed directly on your playing surface, it has a height of 0. A terrain tile placed next to the water is at height 1.
That convention applies no matter what the underlying surface actually is.
So, let me see if I understand (which I don't think I do). I am in a water tile which is dirctly on the table (level 0) and my opponet is on a normal tile (level 1) so he would have a height advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbnbsmith View Post
From the rule book:

"When figuring height, remember that glyphs, water, and swamp waters tiles do not add height to the space they're on." (SotM page 12 column 2 paragraph 3)
I understand that it is in the rule book, but since his reading this article he has been non-stop arguing his point.
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:39 PM

Kobu knows what's in an order marker Kobu knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehouse10000 View Post
I understand that it is in the rule book, but since his reading this article he has been non-stop arguing his point.
Perhaps the easiest thing to do is point out that the rulebooks, FAQ, and Rules Team trump some fan written article in all cases.
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

The water does not add any height to its space. The rulebook is accurate.

(As has been said before, the article being referred to was likely about the Watersuits of the Microcorp that add defense in the water, thus creating a defensive bonus that is greater than the height advantage attack bonus of an opponent.)
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:13 PM

firehouse10000 Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
The water does not add any height to its space. The rulebook is accurate.

(As has been said before, the article being referred to was likely about the Watersuits of the Microcorp that add defense in the water, thus creating a defensive bonus that is greater than the height advantage attack bonus of an opponent.)

YES!!! Thank you. I can now tell him to stick it. Thanks guys, this site is a great resource. I found out he was playing several other things wrong as well, but I found out most of the rule clarifications from this site.
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

This site really is a great source of info.

(I found a few things that I was doing wrong when I came here, too. I think everyone finds something--like not being allowed to pass through your own unit if they are engaged.)
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:57 PM

firehouse10000 Woo who?

His big issue was playing Marro Stingers wrong. He insisted that everytime he rolled for their special ability that it stacked. We had a big free for all with other friends and he killed the hulk with a marro stinger! I found the rule explanation here that it doesn't stack.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's