Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender
AotP Blender A place to discuss AotP customs and ways to integrate Heroscape with AotP.

Notices

Old January 17th, 2016, 01:14 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: Heroscape & Arena of the Planeswalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Backlog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Yes, except you are allowed to put OMs on summons. Think of the planeswalker and her summons like Kurrock and the elementals.

I'm not sure about when you play spell cards. That's a good question, actually. I might require a planeswalker turn but I'm not sure either way yet.
RE: Kurrock- I looked up that unit and see exactly what you mean. Thank you.

I think I'll personally start out requiring a planeswalker turn to play the spell card. It feels to me like, in this hybrid scape/magic game that the spell cards should function as additional abilities on the Planeswalker's army card. These abilities just require you to have the corresponding card in your hand in order to use them.
The way I did it was simple, Planes walker and creature cards are just like Heroscape cards except:

Creatures must be summoned onto the battle field first (like the Rechetcs without a D20 Roll).

Planes walkers have the following ablities:

Blue Magic:
While Jace is on the battlefield, after revealing an order marker on any Army Card you control, draw one Blue spell card from your reserve. Each turn, you may play up to 3 spell cards before moving or after attacking.

Blue Summon:
Before moving, you may summon up to 2 Blue squads and/or Blue heroes. All figures summoned must be placed within 5 clear sight spaces of Jace.

Blue Command:
Instead of taking a turn with Jace you may take a turn with any Blue hero or squad you control.

It is simple way to incorporate the AotP units into the scape world.
I believe this is the best way I have seen so far to incorporate both games together. Well done sir, well done.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old January 17th, 2016, 02:01 PM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Backlog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Yes, except you are allowed to put OMs on summons. Think of the planeswalker and her summons like Kurrock and the elementals.

I'm not sure about when you play spell cards. That's a good question, actually. I might require a planeswalker turn but I'm not sure either way yet.
RE: Kurrock- I looked up that unit and see exactly what you mean. Thank you.

I think I'll personally start out requiring a planeswalker turn to play the spell card. It feels to me like, in this hybrid scape/magic game that the spell cards should function as additional abilities on the Planeswalker's army card. These abilities just require you to have the corresponding card in your hand in order to use them.
The way I did it was simple, Planes walker and creature cards are just like Heroscape cards except:

Creatures must be summoned onto the battle field first (like the Rechetcs without a D20 Roll).

Blue Magic:
While Jace is on the battlefield, after revealing an order marker on any Army Card you control, draw one Blue spell card from your reserve. Each turn, you may play up to 3 spell cards before moving or after attacking.

Blue Summon:
Before moving, you may summon up to 2 Blue squads and/or Blue heroes. All figures summoned must be placed within 5 clear sight spaces of Jace.

Blue Command:
Instead of taking a turn with Jace you may take a turn with any Blue hero or squad you control.

I believe this is the best way I have seen so far to incorporate both games together. Well done sir, well done.
Old January 18th, 2016, 02:25 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

How are you guys dealing with Magic that affects creatures? Does it affect HeroScape figures as well? How do you unsummon something? How do you deal with Kor Hookmasters Detain?

It seems like the integration on a basic level would work reasonably well, but the details make it a little trickier.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old January 18th, 2016, 07:10 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
How are you guys dealing with Magic that affects creatures? Does it affect HeroScape figures as well? How do you unsummon something? How do you deal with Kor Hookmasters Detain?

It seems like the integration on a basic level would work reasonably well, but the details make it a little trickier.
Creatures = units, so something that works only on squad creatures only works on squad units. Many of the cards reference a color when enchanting so that takes care of them.

currently we can only enchante unique squads perminately and as fare as I can remember and that is only an issue with the krav as far as I can tell, and let's be honest the krav are about the best unique squad that exist so there is no surprise that they would be part of a broken combo.

At first I had a hard time with the hook masters but they actually get more powerful in a hybrid since they can result in a missed turn if all your order markers are on the same unit (say all 4th mass) instead of just disrupting a planeswalker plan (since you can still take a turn with your planeswalker).

if you are familiar with the c3g event hero then it helps with how to think of the planeswalker vs regular heroes.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old January 18th, 2016, 12:13 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:

Blue Magic:

Blue Summon:

Blue Command:

This is a pretty good representation of what @chief and I already outlined. Nice.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old January 18th, 2016, 12:18 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post

Heroscape creatures that are not summoned cannot be unsummoned.

Enchantments can only go on AotP summons--it's thematic and easier to balance.

The integration is not tricky--it's simple. If a power doesn't obviously apply to something in the other game, then it simply doesn't apply. In the case of the Hookmasters, it is as Wriggz said. You can prevent the opponent from taking a turn with one of their squads next turn.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old January 18th, 2016, 03:23 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

I just played my first two games of Arena and thought it was pretty good! My wife was a little concerned that things aren't very balanced. She used blue to wipe the floor with my white, causing me to lose or discard or uselessly implement over half my deck of Magic, letting me resummon my Kor Hookmasters twice and generally frustrating me. Then she played green against red and got massacred. So balance is in question here.

What I really enjoyed though was realizing that Arena is really the next-gen HeroScape game. It feels like they sat down and considered a rerelease of HeroScape and what to do differently. You see 100% the implementation of Uncommon Squads the way it had been discussed here. You see cardboard base levels the way that HouseMouseGames had sold the plastic hexmats. You see the absence of OMs (which isn't necessarily better, IMO, but a change you can choose to make). And then the idea of adding special cards to the special abilities and wide variety of units in the same way BattleshipGalaxies was done. I like it.

As far as blending goes, Arena had me wondering about the strength of its uncommon squads (Arena calls them unique squads). It seems like the squad figures with 3 lives are incredibly hardy and I seriously wondered how they would fare in a matchup against Scape squads.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old January 18th, 2016, 03:25 PM

SlyQC is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

So far, after a few games with my personal mods, Chandra seems to be a tad overpowered.
Old January 18th, 2016, 04:53 PM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Yea, this seems to be a nicely simplified version of what we have talked about. I think what we really need is all the rules put into an outline, and all the things like "creatures" put into a glossary. With one nice little packet, playing the two together should be pretty easy.
Old January 18th, 2016, 05:58 PM

KingZombie is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief View Post
Yea, this seems to be a nicely simplified version of what we have talked about. I think what we really need is all the rules put into an outline, and all the things like "creatures" put into a glossary. With one nice little packet, playing the two together should be pretty easy.
A nice summary of this discussion would be great! I've been popping in and out and have liked what I've seen. Thank you all for doing this! You guys rock!

Work hard, play harder!
Great traders: beholderthedm,mecha frog, Shoe
Old January 22nd, 2016, 01:30 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I'm convinced that this is the road to getting the games together. Well done guys.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old January 23rd, 2016, 03:35 AM

Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker

Well I played my 1st Planeswalker game today followed by a planeswalker vs HS army I just played both as best as possible to what they could and could not do with some on the fly modifications I feel it went well. I did drop OMs since I was controlling both sides and thus no surprise element. ( now if any of the HS units I was using needed OM I would have used them.) Gotta have initiative...Who go's first matters and to remove it seems stupid. Unsummon just sent FIGURES back to their start zones ..felt just like Magic to me I spend time getting a unit to Jace just to have him start over and get shot at again gerrr.. I figured that I would drop colors vs a non color army and just respect SQUAD or HERO thus Jace could take over a HERO figure by treating it as a Plainswalker since it is a single figure.. I did only count the plainswalker deck as 100 pts since alot of it did not apply to a pure HS army ..no cards to mess with no spell casting etc. And like wise HS figures just treat a Plainswalker as a Hero figure and his summons as squad figures. Now Braxas kinda ate all of Jaces summons and their multiple life didn't matter in the acid bath. I was also treating killing the Plainswalker as the goal for the HS army where the Plainswalker had to destroy all the HS units. The funky part is that a Plainswalker and its summons make for a VERY focused army while with HS units having no LEADER on the board made them seem sloppy. However I was using Meat ( Ne-Gok-Sa) and Ugly Joe ( Me-Burq-Sa ) with 3 squads of Roman Legionnaires using Warlord Bonding and Raelin untill she was blown away by Jaces Awesome Range 7 Fire power with plus 1 due to height advantage. It was a great battle and Jace made one hell of a King of the hill. I plan to keep an Eye on you guys on this topic and will share my tweeks as well. Keep up the good work !

ALL ARE ONE

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender