Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old October 30th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Why do people curse/swear?

Its a fact of life, every day you will probably hear words considered profanity. If you don't, then I'd like to know how your hermit's cave is.

Anyways, I personally do not use profane words in front of anyone (yes, anyone period, regardless of how much I dislike or like him/her or if I accidentally injure myself). I would like to know your opinion as to why people often say them instead of using the rest of his/her vocabulary to say something different. Naturally, refering to hell and damnation in the religious sense is acceptable, but too many people use the terms out of context.

Personally I can not think of any reason why someone would curse rather than find a more useful phrase. Anyone here have any ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:23 PM

dragonfire has disabled reputation
Cursing is now part of our normal language. What is the difference between saying **** you or calling someone stupid? Negitive is negitive. Both ways are insults. One may have more affect but they are in root, the same thing. An insult is an insult, no matter how you say it.

My Signature
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Then just what is it that determines the difference between words like 'stupid' and the 'f-bomb'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:45 PM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!
They're just words. We're not talking about the difference between smacking someone and stabbing them. Words are just words.
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:50 PM

link10020 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtog
They're just words. We're not talking about the difference between smacking someone and stabbing them. Words are just words.
ah but world are the means to meaning, as the wise V once said.

No gruts? no glory!

- 10 to life for chicken abuse!!!

http://heroscapers.com/community/vie...er=asc&start=0
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:52 PM

Renquist has disabled reputation
Because they express emotion.

I will admit though, that many curse words seem to have entwined themselves in regular speech. Hey, what the f is up with you. Yeah, f it, it's fin cool and all. Fin eh.

That's society. No point losing sleep over it.
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:58 PM

Miniature Geek is surprisingly tart
Curse words are more expressive than other words, and here is the thing about finding another word... Not everyone you encounter will understand you if you use other words, however if I say I had a crappy (not literally but I'm not going to test the word filter) day they'll know what I mean.

Your music's bad and you should feel bad.

My Customs

Better Posting and You Revisited.
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:59 PM

justncaseur1-2 has disabled reputation
I find it odd that the same people that advocate the use of a wide vocabulary also claim that we shouldn't use certain common English phases just because it offends their sensibilities. The use of cursing is emphasis, you could find other words that mean the same thing but nothing replaces the power of curse words. The overuse of any phrase is boring and trite, also cursing in inappropriate places makes you seem unintelligent but in any situation where your meaning is important you have to use the best words to covey your point and even the most skilled linguist should curse on occasion.

Your Turn!!!
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:10 PM

brickman1444 has disabled reputation
I kind of think of it that if you use them all the time, it's just a better and more descriptive word.

6 x 9 = 42

Old October 30th, 2007, 11:15 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I don't curse in a work or professional environment. I don't curse in front of younger children. Once I'm out of either of those situations, it's open house.
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:23 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
Swearing (cursing is something else entirely) is the bee's knees. Fun for the whole family. Besides, I didn't really starting swearing as much as I do now until I had kids.

Environmentalists make great compost.
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:47 PM
I'm my own grandpa

Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby!
Because there is a difference between calling someone an extremely intoxicated person of irregular birth and a D.... B....

Curses are expletives, designed to both express frustration, and vent anger/anguish. They are curt and direct, and the more ... extreme... the word in society, the greater the impact.

They are words, just the same. When and where they are used gives insight into the user.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General