Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender
AotP Blender A place to discuss AotP customs and ways to integrate Heroscape with AotP.

Old April 25th, 2021, 11:29 AM

Ragiggman knows what's in an order marker Ragiggman knows what's in an order marker
15 Heroscape Units for £20 / $30 using AotPW

March 2022 Update - Part 3 (Battle for Zendikar) is now available, finally completing the project...

"Ersatz Armies" is the results of my personal project to create Heroscape unit cards for the AotPW figurines by copying the stats and abilities of existing official units so the figurines are playable out-of-the-box.

I have created these Army Cards for people exactly like me who were lucky enough to pick up a Heroscape Master Set, but who cannot afford the high prices of second-hand official units.

With these cards, the AotPW figurines (as of 23/4/2021 available from Amazon £19.99 in the UK) can be used for Heroscape "out of the box" with minimal fuss – because these ersatz units have exactly the same Abilities, Stats, and Points Values as an official Heroscape unit, and are therefore balanced and playable. You can of course paint your figurines if you wish to – I did.

Part One: Blazing Firecats, Blighted Reavers, Chandra Nalaar, Elf Rangers, Flamewing Phoenixes, Gideon Jura, Illusionary Projections, Jace Beleren, Kor Hookmasters, Leyline Phantoms, Liliana Vess, Nissa Revane, Pummelroot Elementals, Restless Zombies, Rhox Veterans.

https://petervodden.files.wordpress....mies-aotpw.pdf

Part Two: Arlinn, Avacyn, Avacynian Inquisitors, Bloodline Nobles, Ghoul Vanguard, Jace Investigator, Kessig Rangers/Ravagers, Lantern Geists, Mad Prophet, Nahiri, Necro-Alchemist, Skirsdag Cultists, Sorin Markov.

https://petervodden.files.wordpress....tpw-part-2.pdf

Part Three: Eldrazi Ruiner, Eldrazi Scions, Goblin Javelineers, Kiora, Kor Aeronaut Captain, Malakir Bloodchasers, Merfolk Roilmage, Ob Nixilis, Path Wardens.

https://petervodden.files.wordpress....tpw-part-3.pdf

Example Units:

Ersatz Units on the battlefield:

I know that other Heroscapers have taken very different approaches on how to use the Wizards of the Coast sets. Perhaps most notably the AotV project:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...play.php?f=169

which is a massive undertaking, creating and play-testing brand new custom units. It is evidently making progress.

Another notable conversion is SIEGE's AotP Converted Customs:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=54643

SIEGE's conversion adapts the AotPW cards, assigning Factions by converting MTG lore towards Classic Heroscape lore, and creating new abilities. This is a another great piece of work, but for me has two drawbacks; I have no idea how balanced the units are, and whether the points values are reasonable. Also, I literally cannot manage Squads with more than one life. I am in my mid 60's, and whilst I can still (just about) hold and use a paintbrush on figurines, I just can't balance tiny plastic wound marker cubes on the figurine itself whilst moving it on the battlefield – no good.

So as an alternative, I just created Unit cards by this method:

1. Use the Faction/General allegiances and card templates created by SIEGE. (I used to play MTG, and I feel he did a great job on this – if it ain't broke, don't fix it – thanks!)
2. Copy the Stats, Abilities and Point Values from an existing official Heroscape Unit that reasonably “fits” with the appearance of the figurine, its original AotPW Stats, and the MTG lore.
3. Rename any abilities / attacks that are mechanically workable but don't sound right in the new unit context.
4. Only if absolutely necessary, fiddle the points. (For example if the official unit had 4 figurines, but the ersatz one only has 3, just pro-rata the points.)
5. Paint the figurine using the AotPW unit card art as a guide, and photograph them to create Heroscape-style card art.

Last edited by Ragiggman; March 12th, 2022 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Adding
Old April 25th, 2021, 11:20 PM

Swogger is surprisingly tart
Re: 15 Heroscape Units for £20 / $30 using AotPW

I'm quite envious of your painted minis. You did a good job with the production quality for the card photos. I picked up an AotP set with the intention of painting all the figures, but I have so many other models to assemble and paint I doubt I will ever get around to them.

The figures and game pieces really are a bargain for only around $20.00, perfect for conversions and customs.
Old April 26th, 2021, 06:41 AM

Ragiggman knows what's in an order marker Ragiggman knows what's in an order marker
Smile Re: 15 Heroscape Units for £20 / $30 using AotPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swogger View Post
I'm quite envious of your painted minis. You did a good job with the production quality for the card photos. I picked up an AotP set with the intention of painting all the figures, but I have so many other models to assemble and paint I doubt I will ever get around to them.

The figures and game pieces really are a bargain for only around $20.00, perfect for conversions and customs.
Your compliments are much appreciated!

Re: painting - This was my first effort at matching the look and feel of original Heroscape figures. For what it is worth, here's my "recipe":

1. Wash figurines with detergent, dry.
2. Spray on 1 coat light grey primer.
3. Roughly paint major areas, using only 3 or 4 colours per model.
4. Paint black anything that is going to be metallic.
5. Apply diluted dark brown ink wash to darken folds and crevices.
6. Over coat / dry-brush the main areas back up, this time being a bit more careful to "stay within the lines".
7. Dry-brush highlights in lighter colours.
8. Paint silver/gold/bronze over the black as required - solid colour for new metal, or dry-brush for antique metal effect.
9. With a finer brush, paint in just enough contrasting details e.g. a belt or pouch - but not too much, as Heroscape figures are not very detailed.
10. Paint the base.
10. Spray 1 coat gloss varnish.
Old August 2nd, 2021, 10:01 AM

gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragiggman View Post
"Ersatz Armies" is the results of my personal project to create Heroscape unit cards for the AotPW figurines by copying the stats and abilities of existing official units so the figurines are playable out-of-the-box.

I have created these Army Cards for people exactly like me who were lucky enough to pick up a Heroscape Master Set, but who cannot afford the high prices of second-hand official units.

With these cards, the AotPW figurines (as of 23/4/2021 available from Amazon £19.99 in the UK) can be used for Heroscape "out of the box" with minimal fuss – because these ersatz units have exactly the same Abilities, Stats, and Points Values as an official Heroscape unit, and are therefore balanced and playable. You can of course paint your figurines if you wish to – I did.

I have already mapped unit stats & abilities for the Innistrad and Zendikar units, but the painting of the figurines (in order to photograph them for the card illustrations) is what takes the time, so if people find these cards useful please let me know, and then I will prioritise painting and publishing cards for the two AotPW supplements as well.

PDF of the Ersatz Unit Cards:

https://petervodden.files.wordpress....mies-aotpw.pdf

Example Units:

Ersatz Units on the battlefield:

I know that other Heroscapers have taken very different approaches on how to use the Wizards of the Coast sets. Perhaps most notably the AotV project:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...play.php?f=169

which is a massive undertaking, creating and play-testing brand new custom units. It is evidently making progress.

Another notable conversion is SIEGE's AotP Converted Customs:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=54643

SIEGE's conversion adapts the AotPW cards, assigning Factions by converting MTG lore towards Classic Heroscape lore, and creating new abilities. This is a another great piece of work, but for me has two drawbacks; I have no idea how balanced the units are, and whether the points values are reasonable. Also, I literally cannot manage Squads with more than one life. I am in my mid 60's, and whilst I can still (just about) hold and use a paintbrush on figurines, I just can't balance tiny plastic wound marker cubes on the figurine itself whilst moving it on the battlefield – no good.

So as an alternative, I just created Unit cards by this method:

1. Use the Faction/General allegiances and card templates created by SIEGE. (I used to play MTG, and I feel he did a great job on this – if it ain't broke, don't fix it – thanks!)
2. Copy the Stats, Abilities and Point Values from an existing official Heroscape Unit that reasonably “fits” with the appearance of the figurine, its original AotPW Stats, and the MTG lore.
3. Rename any abilities / attacks that are mechanically workable but don't sound right in the new unit context.
4. Only if absolutely necessary, fiddle the points. (For example if the official unit had 4 figurines, but the ersatz one only has 3, just pro-rata the points.)
5. Paint the figurine using the AotPW unit card art as a guide, and photograph them to create Heroscape-style card art.
@Ragiggman your painting of the AotP figures looks great. Some time back when @SIEGE posted his AotP custom conversions I provided inputs to the awesome work that was put in to those and did utilize those custom conversions quite a bit. Recently, I have pulled my Hersoscape and AotP back out. Because of some of the unbalanced items that I experienced with multiple squad lives and some inflated Life Stats on the Planeswalkers and Heroes I updated @SIEGE 's custom conversions to make an attempt to better balance them as standard Heroscape units in the original post that you have cited.

My concept was to do the following:
1) Keep them as true to @SIEGE 's original intent
2) Add an ability on the Planeswalkers converted cards to utilize the spells
3) Align and balance to standard Heroscape
Old November 8th, 2021, 12:44 PM

November 2021
I have converted the second tranche (Shadoes over Innistrad) - see new PDF download in the original post...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender