Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

View Poll Results: Poll 14: Dawn of Darkness #1
Tagawa Samurai Archers 6 6.59%
Einar Imperium 15 16.48%
Zombies of Morindan 34 37.36%
Shades of Bleakwood 17 18.68%
Heavy Gruts 19 20.88%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 5th, 2008, 11:49 AM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Heavy Gruts! I love the buff orcs, and they are awesome looking sculpts.
Old April 5th, 2008, 02:28 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Zombies are amazing. Definitely the most anticipated unit of Heroscape so far. They look cool, have the stats that zombies should have, and are a ton of fun to play. Perhaps a great example of a unit that won't do too well in a tournament setting but are just so darn fun to play with that it's worth it.
Old April 5th, 2008, 02:50 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade
I'm with
Really? I was wondering if we'd rate similar on polls from here on out!

You go first next poll...
It's a deal! I might switch the TSA and the EI here, but really only for samurai-ness. Zombies just out-flavor the hex out of all the others, though.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 5th, 2008, 02:51 PM

Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Shades got the vote from me, but it was a close contest. Heavy gruts are #2. I don't own an zombies, but I've played them, and they are a ton of fun. Wave 6 had such cool squads
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:04 PM

Squitter The Spider has disabled reputation
Zombies

Old April 5th, 2008, 03:45 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Went with the Heavies. Great sculpts and a solid squad.
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:49 PM

SVD997 knows what's in an order marker SVD997 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Character Battle- Poll 14: Dawn of Darkness #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD997
Shades are an interesting idea, but from what I've seen, they don't live up to their value.
Anything with 6 or higher movement is a notable success in my book. Then to get that high movement with Stealth Flying is just so much better.
To be able to reach nearly anything on the board and snuff out or at least engage a ranged threat is a huge value to me. They're such a scare to heroes, yet there are a good amount of multi-attack heroes that can put the fear into the Shades themselves. The ghosts can also do some notable damage on squads while waiting for a ripe soul devour opportunity.
They're worth their value.
I agree accept with the part of shades coming second,It was down to the Shades and Zombies.

SVD997-
1.Anything with a Defence of 4 is a trouble to kill and being that they can fly with a move of 7,this can be very scary for higher cost unique heros. I believe the unit demands the most attention to detail when placing your order markers because they need to be able to Soul Devour Before moving. Then they can stealth fly away if there isn't another order marker on them.
2. The shades need to be paired up with at least another squad of Shades to be good,along with a good Ranged hero that has some staying power to be effective. They shades should be a missle that you either put the 2nd and 3rd order marker on and then the 1 of the next turn on them. Or you can just put all three order markers on them and try to just keep taking the opponent's heroes.
3.An intresting idea to use with them is to try and make an opponents unique figure back down from a certain area. They are one of the best Meanacers that I know of for the fact that the can stay on the board for a while and make heroes shake in there boots.
4. With more and more Unique Heroes coming out along with the excess of slow movers,units like Q9,Gurie-Oni,and many others are going to have a tough time dealing with them. The Shades are unique to how you have to play them and you must think many turns ahead when playing them.
5. The Shades must be used in many diffrent way,you have to be Cautious,and not Cautious when playing them,along with being confident with them enough to the point that it seems like your cocky. They make you do all in the same exact game you play with them. They are a thinking mans unit that wants to either win or lose,there is really no in between when they cost 100 points.
6. When playing them you really have to think about 4 turns ahead of what you are going to do. The shades have trouble against High Double attack units so the answer is don't use the Shades against them. Avoid them unless you know exactly if your going to kill them.
7. The Shades biggest problem is Kaemon Awa at this point. He has counterstrike and a high double attack. That is why you need to make the decision to draft a big unit that is able to take out other big units.
8. The Shades have a nice attck even if it doesn't seem that way. they are a big threat to a couple low Defence common squads like Vipers and Aubrien Archers. this lets them try to soul Devour a Hero and then Stealth Fly away which leads to attacking that common squad. With three members in a squad they are good for only 100 points. I would have rather had them be 90 points but 100 is good.
9. All of these reasons are the reason that in almost every GenCon army I will bring,will have the Shades in them.
I may have one or two armies that doesn't but that will be it.
You guys make some valid points. My point was, I have never seen them used correctly. You have definately inspired me. I will have to try them again next time I play.
Old April 5th, 2008, 04:04 PM

tyguy94920 is surprisingly tart
1- Zombies- Near impossible to beat, and too much fun to play (and play against)

2- Shades- 8 stealt flying on a 3 ghost squad, that must be hard to beat (I almost bought some once and missed my chance)

3- EI- Just for the cool sculps, and how awesome they look next to Kiova

4- Archers- Mostly for the same reason, they look awasome next to AWAsome, not much outside of that

5- Gruts- I really don't care about them- though the Chompy bonding might get them more playtime in my house

Click Above for My Sig Link
Old April 5th, 2008, 04:18 PM

Pygon knows what's in an order marker Pygon knows what's in an order marker
I don't own the Imperium or the Archers, so I looked them up. I wasn't too impressed with the archers. The Imperium looked nasty with its ability to attack multiple times.

However, you can move bunches of zombies at one time, focus all their attacks on one target as a single swing, their only vulnerable spot is their head, and you can regenerate them by killing something.

For coolness and effectiveness, Zombies win.
Old April 5th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
I love Orc armies, but half of the fun is the sheer mass of units--Heavies are awesome and in most polls would take it, but here I have to confess that I love the Zombies. They are inelegant units--that just rock to play! Zombies got my vote for pure originality in development and fun in play.

Shades haven't seen enough play here I guess. The times they have showed up they have whiffed, so they have shown up less and less. I'm inspired to give them another go.

EI are just too expensive, but great fun to play, and the Samurai Archers have a use and can work well, but just as often end up shredded by stronger ranged attackers.

As has been said, this was a great set of squads--all fun to play in the right setting, each loaded with personality and possibilities.
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:59 PM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
1. Shades
2.Einar Imperium
3.Zombies
4.Tagawa
5.Heavies
This was tough for me. Between me and my friend we have the whole wave (except zombies, but that will soon be fixed ) so I have played with all of theses guys. My experience with he heavies has been bad, even though they are wicked cool. I have done great with the TSA and their sculpts are soo cool, but they can't win this character battle. I haven't used the zombies, but from what I read they are very good. But a lack of experience from me makes them low on the list. I love the Einar Imperium. Einar is my favorite, I love Kyrie squads, and Double attack is one of my favorite powers.That and my luck with them is insane! Shades win for me because stealth flying with that move is great! They are great at getting glyphs, and have an improved mind shackle, with 3 attempts! I have used them once, and the dominated that game. Can you say "Give me your Drake Alexander, I rolled a 19"
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:00 PM

pti8 is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar's puppy
1. Shades
2.Einar Imperium
3.Zombies
4.Tagawa
5.Heavies
This was tough for me. Between me and my friend we have the whole wave (except zombies, but that will soon be fixed ) so I have played with all of theses guys. My experience with he heavies has been bad, even though they are wicked cool. I have done great with the TSA and their sculpts are soo cool, but they can't win this character battle. I haven't used the zombies, but from what I read they are very good. But a lack of experience from me makes them low on the list. I love the Einar Imperium. Einar is my favorite, I love Kyrie squads, and Double attack is one of my favorite powers.That and my luck with them is insane! Shades win for me because stealth flying with that move is great! They are great at getting glyphs, and have an improved mind shackle, with 3 attempts! I have used them once, and the dominated that game. Can you say "Give me your Drake Alexander, I rolled a 19"
The Shades are much too important in my book to go grab glyphs. Even though they have 4 defence and are common, they should be out mindshackling Q9 and Krug.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion