Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

View Poll Results: Which dessert is gonna make you cheat on your diet? (Pick 3)
Elemental Sorceress 3 13.64%
Frost Dwarf 6 27.27%
Glacian Worg 4 18.18%
Kanaspi Wendigo 6 27.27%
Snow Crawler 6 27.27%
Stormblast Spider 4 18.18%
Thaelenk Snow Wyrm 10 45.45%
Thaelenk Snowman 13 59.09%
Transition Elemental 9 40.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 5th, 2020, 09:18 AM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
CHOPS Poll - QC3 Winter Custom Contest - Congrats Arch-vile

Here we have it, folks, the grand finale of the CHOPS Contest Series is here and woo-wee we are in for a treat (or 9).

Vote for your favorite three desserts, and don't be shy to share your reasons for doing so (or for not voting for the other ones, but do try to be nice about that ). Also, remember that if one of these is your creation you are contractually obligated to vote for 3 other entries, even though they seem to have used salt in place of sugar...

Elemental Sorceress

Frost Dwarf

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Glacian Worg

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Kanaspi Wendigo

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Snow Crawler

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Stormblast Spider

Thaelenk Snow Wyrm

Thaelenk Snowman

Transition Element

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN

Last edited by Dr.Goomonkey; April 19th, 2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old February 5th, 2020, 05:57 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: CHOPS Poll - QC3 Winter Custom Contest - Vote by 2/17

Man - I feel bad I somehow missed this contest again. My custom would have been a double-spaced figure that placed double-hex snow tiles underneath (similar but different than a snow version of Mika Connour) as I have tons of extra tiles that came with the mid-wave packs.

Anyway some tough choices. As per usual, even though most of these are more for scenarios when you know you are playing on a snow map, I chose figures I would actually want to play with in RTW tournaments - so they have to be designed and priced well and not too weak or OP. Also I chose units with synergy and/or brought a new dynamic to the game. Also I do not like overly long/complicated powers or ones that are essentially 2-3 powers in one - just have 4 powers on your card or remove one of the unnecessary ones, don't cheat by having "three powers" or even "two powers" that is in reality 4 or 5 powers! Sorry to nitpick, and I know my preferences are not those of others, but just venting.
Old February 7th, 2020, 12:46 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Don't feel bad, I'll just have to make sure you are added to the list of previous contestants. I think you should be there anyway but I don't think you are...

Anyway, look at this voter turnout! 13 votes already and we still have 10 days left. I guess the deadline for the poll does not need quite as much time as the entries themselves... But I would like to point out that @lefton4ya is the only one to give any justifications to his vote, so, I guess nobody else realized this is a caucus and not a primary?

At any rate, thanks again to all our wonderful contestants and constituents.

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old February 7th, 2020, 02:34 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I meant to go over my thoughts on the cards.
The Elemental Sorceress- has some neat ideas but ultimately the ability was very lengthy and complex enough to where it could have been more than one ability or cut down some and been better. Trying to include too many factors in one design doesnt usually work out as well. The physical number stats look fine to begin testing the unit.

Frost Dwarf- I have this figure and the idea of what the dwarf is doing in his Special ability has a good idea but I feel it is overly complicated and just seems weird being called snow drift. Destroyed by a snow drift? If he had an ability that was slightly simplified and named something more appropriate to what the ability does it would be more appealing. Perhaps snow drift ambush. Then one would get the mental picture of a crazy frost dwarf barging out of the drift and catching them by surprise. Numbers here also look ok to start testing.

Glacian warg- the abilities are straight forward and thematic. Not terribly exciting though. We have a decent amount of wolves in canon and would have liked to see this one possibly go the way of maybe being a mount and a simple reuse of blood frenzy from the feral troll would have worked. Also, this guy is a little on the pricey side for points.
Kanaspi wendigo- all around the theme and ideas on this one are very thematic and fun. Bringing something new and interesting is always a plus.
Snow crawler- the abilities on this one seem solid for theme. Instead of the bonding it would have been more fun to see something to do with the stinger since its a scorpion. This design would work better as well if it was reduced to one life and made common. The price point at where it is, is also too low. If there was a life reduction to 1 and made common 40pts would be a good starting point for testing.
Stormblast spider- 4 attack grenade plus a negative defense modifier is very powerful even as a once per round use. Snow shoes sounds a bit funny for a spider. There are snow abilities from classic characters that could have seen a reuse here. The last ability could essentially be a hide in darkness with some wording changes to make it work in snow. The snowblast doesnt feel right for a spider. The other abilities fit thematically.
Snow wyrm- everything looks thematic and balanced here and looks fun to play. My only concern is that the figure used, if its the same one I own.(looks identical) is that the figure is easily a huge figure.
Snowman- easily the most goofy looking miniature but by far my favorite. The points looked too low for a triple attack at first but as I read on was pleasantly surprised at how well the character was put together. The theme and balance on this one is spot on and brought a smile on my face. A snowman in valhalla is a funny idea but this concept was nailed perfectly in my opinion.
Transition elemental- some solid ideas. Pun intended along with being serious. I would have tried to move more away from the evaporated ability and went with something more to do with a water related attack.
Great stuff everyone. Look forward to these contests. Always fun. Thanks for putting it on Dr. G. All my critiques are strictly based on theory scape and meant to possibly help folks with their designs.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 14th, 2020, 11:31 AM

The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker

I find it a bit unfair how the current poll leader went against one of the original basket ingredients. Which was
Quote:
1. At least one non-healing, snow-related power.
I think this is self-explanatory, but it must have a power that refers to snow and does not remove wound markers from itself or other figures. Don't be afraid to ask if you're confused!

Long live heroscape
Old February 14th, 2020, 11:37 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Long eared bat View Post
I find it a bit unfair how the current poll leader went against one of the original basket ingredients. Which was
Quote:
1. At least one non-healing, snow-related power.
I think this is self-explanatory, but it must have a power that refers to snow and does not remove wound markers from itself or other figures. Don't be afraid to ask if you're confused!
It didn't go against the basket ingredients. Its other two powers are also snow related and do not feature healing. The rule listed stated what type of power was required; it did not put any restrictions on what the rest of the powers could be.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old February 14th, 2020, 11:59 AM

The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker

Sorry @Lazy Orang my bad. Misinterpreted that rule.

Long live heroscape
Old February 14th, 2020, 12:01 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Long eared bat View Post
Sorry @Lazy Orang my bad. Misinterpreted that rule.
Not to worry. Easy mistake to make.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old February 14th, 2020, 02:16 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Elemental Sorceress
Primary Fury is a fun idea, and I appreciate the creativity. Arguably a contest like this is the best place for such a unit. But I should never get bored while reading a card, as I did here. Worse, playing a Sorceress I would have to keep re-reading the card to try to figure out which versions of the power would be applicable to me each time, and even worse situation for my opponents who do not have a copy of the card in front of them. Mistress of the Elements is problematic from a rules perspective. What does it mean to ignore the special powers of elementals? If she immune to an Earth Elemental's Earth Slam? Can she pretend that the space she is on has not been changed to ice by a Greater Ice Elemental? Can she take a leaving engagment swipe at an Air Elemental trying to fly over her? Special powers can do pretty much anything, so powers like these just don't work within the game system, even if no existing elemental powers caused problems.

Frost Dwarf
I like everything except Snow Drift, which is unfortunate since it is the signature power. "To a minimum of..." powers are always a no-go. The problem is an ordering one, since Heroscape does not define any ordering. If a Hero with 5 Move has two Snow Markers and a Marro Gnids on it, what is it's Move value? It depends on the order you apply them, which is problematic with the existing ruleset. Even without that, the Snow Markers are more exciting in theory than in practice, where they are mostly an annoyance. 15+ is too high for it to happen much, and there's no way to mitigate it from happening anyway. It's a lot of trouble for little payoff or tactical choices. I also don't like the Lava Resistant immunity, since Lava Resistant figures aren't necessarily burning up, like the Iron Golem.

Glacian Worg
I like the stats (though it could use more Attack, and maybe a bit more Defense) and I like the use of Disengage. I like the reuse of Snow and Ice Enhanced Movement, even if the power should have been named that and should have followed its wording. Scent of Blood is a power that is trying to hard to force theme, and it weakens the unit for it. Having to roll the die for each wounded figure nearby (including on the other side of walls, since no clear sight is required) is potentially annoying. "Move this Glacian Worg adjacent to that figure if possible" is not clearly defined. Is that intended to be a teleport-like placement, or a space-by-space movement? That matters for extreme height changes, walls, and the like. What happens if the Worg cannot attack that figure for some reason (next to Tandros, perhaps)? Simply giving the unit Blood Frenzy would make the unit play much the same without forcing the player's hand and causing rules issues.

Kanaspi Wendigo
Cool concepts, overcooked. Any one of the three powers would make the unit interesting (and two of them are multiple powers combined!); two of them is too many, and three of them is all the more so. Winter Hunter is fun and thematic. I don't like Insatiable Hunger because of the memory mechanic; you shouldn't have to remember whether or not the Wendigo killed something during the round. The movement on top of that is thematic but just unnecessary. Gargantuan Gluttony is a really cool idea--increasing the size stat is new and cool. Too easy to do, though. Or rather, too easy to snowball. If you can get the first kill early, the rest will come fast.

Snow Crawler
Lots to like here. I like that it's an Arachnid Predator, and I like Hide in Snow (though I think it should be renamed) and Vicegrip (though I think it should be more like Cyberclaw). I'm not thrilled with the slow 4 Move, which is odd compared to other insects. The high Defense combined with multiple Life points is worrisome, but it fits with the defender class you're going for. I do think Vicious Swarm is a mistake, though. It's cool that it gives the Crawler some value outside of Spider builds, but the investment is way too big (160 points) for very little payoff. You aren't going to have numerous of these on the front lines, despite its role, and their Move is too low for them to do much on the extra turn other than move up a bit. Higher Move and no Vicious Swarm and this would be a great unit.

Stormblast Spider
I like the overall design and concept. I don't really like the low Move for an insect, but Snow Shoes is supposed to cover that. There are some rules problems, though. There's a reason that no power has ever tried to choose a space instead of a figure; it doesn't really work all that well. For one thing, a space has no hit zones. "Within 1 space" has some real oddities as well, such as hitting everything on a ladder. I don't like the added d20 roll in the power; that just feels like an added bell/whistle when the card is already busy. I don't understand the intent of Snow Shoes either. So can the spider move up two levels onto a snow space and not count that as any movements? It's unclear. Can this ability be used with bonus movements, or it is supposed to be normal movement only?

Thaelenk Snow Worm
This is a good, solid design. Its Move is too low; it probably won't be worth activations at that speed. "Tricky" fits its abilities, but feels tame for such a nasty-looking miniature. Otherwise I like it's stats, Predator bonding, and the special powers. Snow Burrow is a cool rework of Vanish, and Poison Fangs is a good reuse of Poison Weapons. Both fitting and useful powers.

Thaelenk Snowman
Ha! Humorous design, but that's what makes it work. Snowball Throw is silly and thematic, and it actually combines well with Cold Healing. Pretty useless guy outside of a snow map, but pretty darn good cleanup on one, probably too good for the price. I don't like reusing Elementar, but that comes down to what people think Elementars are.

Transition Elemental
Really curious concept. I like that it has the two different forms, that of water and of ice. Evaporate is neat, and Ice Form is useful even if the theme is a little odd to me. The wound restriction on Ice Form causes some timing problems, though. If a Transition Elemental has 3 wounds and receives one wound from an attack, can it use Evaporate? I don't think so since Evaporate triggers off taking the wound, but it's not clear. More difficult are timing windows with leaving engagement attacks, engagment strikes, and moving from and to water spaces. At what point does the second part of Water Enhancement no longer take effect? These can be solved, though, I think. As a playable unit, I have to say that the Transition Elemental looks poor. Lots of stuff going on, but mostly it's just a melee attack of 3, with some conditional range that's usually from the lowest level. Defenses are good, but with slow movement and weak offense, it's hard to imagine it getting any activations as long as there's another unit available.
Old February 19th, 2020, 01:30 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

So, who are the designers of the top 3? Congrats!

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old February 19th, 2020, 02:31 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
So, who are the designers of the top 3? Congrats!
I wanna know who built the snowman of death.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 19th, 2020, 02:38 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

I tied for a distant 4th place with the Frost Dwarf.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards