Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

Old July 11th, 2021, 06:44 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Engineers of Valhalla Workshop Thread

@Shiftrex and I just played an interesting game on a map I made using his design I dubbed "Fungal Outcrops" and a slight mod of @wriggz wasteland terrain.

The rules for each are below, and you can see the map here.

"Wasteland Terrain"
Small, medium, and large figures on Wasteland Terrain may not be targeted by non-adjacent normal attacks. All figures on Wasteland Terrain subtract one die when attacking normally.

"Fungal Outcrops"
Figures starting their turn adjacent to a Fungal Outcrop add one to their move for that turn.

He played:
240 Zombies of Morindan x4
120 Zombie Hulk x2
140 Phantom Knights x2
500, 22 hexes

I played:
100 Marcus
200 Romans x2
310 Laglor
490 12th Caucasus Rifles x3
(16 hexes)

Terrain Effect Use Summary:
Wasteland Terrain
This terrain was used well as cover for zombies approaching height and the 12th - a great tool considering that a Zombie Hulk was sniped from height in the first round. It wasn't a game breaker, as occupying height adjacent to it still gave me a decent development counter for my Romans. It was a pretty balanced part of the map that incentivized coming up the middle.

Fungal Outcrops
This terrain was used to aid development as well and helped a Phantom Knight get into the start zone for a surprise attack on a sheltered 12th and the Romans reposition to cross the map in the end game. Being a LOS blocker sheltering the glyphs also helped offset the height in the middle.

Detailed playtest info in the spoiler.

Spoiler Alert!
Old July 12th, 2021, 12:10 PM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
"Wasteland Terrain"
Small, medium, and large figures on Wasteland Terrain may not be targeted by non-adjacent normal attacks. All figures on Wasteland Terrain subtract one die when attacking normally.

"Fungal Outcrops"
Figures starting their turn adjacent to a Fungal Outcrop add one to their move for that turn.
Can you elaborate on the thematic explanations for these terrain effects? And what do the wasteland tiles look like?

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old July 12th, 2021, 07:18 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Fungal Outcrop probably isn't the best name for them xD

I currently call them Fey Outcrops, the idea is that you are imbued with refreshing energy from these lavish outcrops but only if you spend some time next to them. Small movement buff if you spend a turn next to a decent LoS blocker for most medium figures. Would likely help to encourage traffic towards a different area of the map even without the presence of a glyph.

The wasteland terrain are from Wriggz's thread on the first page of this board. They would be another type of flat terrain like water/shadow/lava.

https://images3.imgbox.com/5b/f2/EkRUqkLD_o.jpg
Old July 13th, 2021, 02:12 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

One thing I'd like to note is that terrain effects/rules can be appropriate for multiple things.

The rules for heavy snow for example would be appropriate for quick sand like the tiles in AotP.

For our game, the wasteland terrain could be something found on Marr, and with the existing ruleset could be a "Fog" tile as well.

I also think it's a lot easier to come up with terrain fitting the lore/theme to describe a rule than come up with a balanced and interesting terrain mechanic.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles