Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old January 1st, 2021, 07:57 PM

Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: [Pod 2] Katryn Vade (Nahiri, Fuy in Stone) (Public Feedb

I agree Oathsworn Guardian stands out against the rest of the design, and I like the power you have written up. Another angle we could take this if we wanted to change OG could be to boost her movement:

Quote:
OATHSWORN GUARDIAN
Katryn Vade may add 2 to her movement as long as she ends her move adjacent to a friendly figure with at least 1 Wound Marker on their Army Card.
This would allow her to rush to aid an ally if they get in trouble, or stand by their side ready to protect them.

Quote:
OATHSWORN GUARDIAN
If a figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Katryn Vade receives at least 1 wound, you may immediately move Katryn up to 4 spaces. Katryn must end this move adjacent to the attacking figure, if possible. This special power may only be used once per turn.
This version could allow her to reflexively move to an opponent if they start attacking allies.

I'd be interested to see what others think. I do like OG as I can see what it's representing, but it does stand out a little against the rest of the design and the overall playstyle. As long as the design remains flavour full I'd be happy with whatever way we go.
Old January 2nd, 2021, 02:41 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

These both rely on conditional future statements that can create problems interacting with other powers. They specify something that MUST happen but has situations that could prevent them from happening after you start the movement trigger.

I think the first one relies on it less, but they both fall into the same thing that the Kozuke Samurai do unless I'm just confused.
Old January 2nd, 2021, 03:14 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Shiftrex is right. Due to the Kozuke's phenomenally poor wording, most powers like the 8th Infantry Pathfinder's Marching Orders that require ending movement adjacent to a figure are misleading. The first power at least would probably end up worded something like this after Editing:

Quote:
OATHSWORN GUARDIAN
Katryn Vade may add 2 to her movement. She must be able to move adjacent to a friendly figure with at least 1 Wound Marker on their Army Card to use Oathsworn Guardian.
That's not to say that the mechanic is a bad idea, but it is worth noting that newer players are unlikely to have the same familiarity with the Kozuke and what the reused wording actually means.

I like the second suggested power a lot more thematically, since it plays into her aggressive tendencies and the urge for her to use her Special Attack. IMO, it's the best third power that's been suggested so far, though I still don't feel like it's really needed, if that makes sense.
Old January 2nd, 2021, 05:59 PM

Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Shiftrex is right. Due to the Kozuke's phenomenally poor wording, most powers like the 8th Infantry Pathfinder's Marching Orders that require ending movement adjacent to a figure are misleading. The first power at least would probably end up worded something like this after Editing:

Quote:
OATHSWORN GUARDIAN
Katryn Vade may add 2 to her movement. She must be able to move adjacent to a friendly figure with at least 1 Wound Marker on their Army Card to use Oathsworn Guardian.
That's not to say that the mechanic is a bad idea, but it is worth noting that newer players are unlikely to have the same familiarity with the Kozuke and what the reused wording actually means.

I like the second suggested power a lot more thematically, since it plays into her aggressive tendencies and the urge for her to use her Special Attack. IMO, it's the best third power that's been suggested so far, though I still don't feel like it's really needed, if that makes sense.
I think that could work, but I do also agree that she doesn't need a third power. If we're comparing AotV to RotV, the only card to have a third power was Carr, and nowadays that would of been condensed into two powers. Not to say we can't have third powers, but her playstyle alone can always reflect her guardian nature. I'd be fine with or without a third power here.
Old January 3rd, 2021, 12:11 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I've never thought that a third power was necessary; my original draft only had the special attack and Aspect of the Dragon. I believe @Pumpkin_King was the one who originally thought the design needed a third power? I don't have a strong preference either way; I think the design is probably a bit cleaner and feels more like a master set design with just the two powers, but I don't think a third power is necessarily a bad direction to go in either.
Old January 3rd, 2021, 06:51 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I might have been? I am seeing the value now in just the two powers, keeping in mind the master set. I'd be willing to move forward with that and then add back in Oathsworn if she feels boring. There's nothing wrong with a beatstick.
Old January 3rd, 2021, 11:57 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'd like to see her with 2 powers personally. Aspect of the Dragon and her special attack, they are interesting enough to make her appealing to use because she resists some powers and forces common squads to not bunch up to engage her.

I think she could be a fun figure with just the 2 powers, she has a lot of theme and lore wound up in her that is promising.
Old January 4th, 2021, 02:16 PM

We've got a general consensus so far that two powers might be better here, and we can probably drop her points a bit as a result. She's an exciting anti-squad that can also deal with heroes with that attack stat.

Reading through her backstory again, she seems very vengeful for her family as opposed to a protector style character, so we probably don't have to worry about her being able to affect friendlies with her special attack.
Old January 4th, 2021, 06:39 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Astro's snapshot made me think of this: maybe instead of the double attack she could extend her Huge immunities to adjacent friendlies, thus dropping a power?

Quote:
DRAGONHEART BLADE SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 1. Attack 3.
Choose a figure to attack. Any figures adjacent to the chosen figure are also affected by Dragonheart Blade Special Attack. Squad figures roll 1 less defense die against Dragonheart Blade Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. Katryn Vade cannot be affected by her own Dragonheart Blade Special Attack.

ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
You may treat the size of Nahiri and any friendly, adjacent Unique Heroes as Huge for any special powers.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old January 4th, 2021, 06:46 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'd be interested to hear what Scytale thought of that. My gut would say that it would be potentially problematic enough with future designs to probably not be worth it, but if Scytale thought that it would be okay I think it could be a cool addition. Either way, I think I'm in favor of trimming off Oathsworn Guardian and start testing her with just the two powers.

If Scytale did think extending the huge immunities to adjacent figures was doable, we could also change her special attack to not affect huge figures...
Old January 5th, 2021, 10:14 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

It's problematic, because adjacency can change in the middle of a power. Do you decide at the start of the power? If adjacency changes, does the size change no longer take effect? If the two figures are moved together and end up adjacent, do they remain adjacent the whole time? Can different figures become Huge because Katryn becomes adjacent to them?

No, too messy.
Old January 5th, 2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
It's problematic, because adjacency can change in the middle of a power. Do you decide at the start of the power? If adjacency changes, does the size change no longer take effect? If the two figures are moved together and end up adjacent, do they remain adjacent the whole time? Can different figures become Huge because Katryn becomes adjacent to them?

No, too messy.
That's what I suspected. Thanks as always for your input, Scytale!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs