Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old July 8th, 2011, 03:30 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

I've admired dok's Gargoyle ever since I first saw it. Love Stone Form's innovative and elegant use of order markers, and it drips with theme indeed.
Old July 8th, 2011, 04:21 PM

Elginb has disabled reputation

Very clever unit.
Old July 9th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I'll reviewing dok's Gargoyle. Lots of theme. It clearly adds something to the game; I'm not sure what exactly, but something.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old July 9th, 2011, 09:52 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

I agree with D_S and vote YES to review Gargoyle

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old July 9th, 2011, 10:30 PM

Elginb has disabled reputation

Sorry-- my thumbs up was meant to say "Yes! Let's review dok's wild and crazy Gargoyle figure!"
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

I'm not a fan of the fact that the Gargoyle's feature power encourages players to not play them.

I vote NO to review dok's Gargoyle.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:39 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
I'm not a fan of the fact that the Gargoyle's feature power encourages players to not play them.
I thought the same thing initially but after thinking about potential strategies I kind of like it. It's some protection against an initiative switch, and you can run them out and let them sit for an OM or two while you move more forces in.

to review Gargoyle.

-insert signature here-

Last edited by nyys; July 11th, 2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:44 PM

Sertorius is surprisingly tart

Seems like Mr. Gargoyle could be a real pain if you can manage to get him on a defense glyph or (shudder) a wound glyph. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, either...
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Gargoyle by dok has received 4 YES votes to review (Dad_Scaper, Elginb, nyys, ZBeeblebrox) and moves on in the process.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old July 10th, 2011, 11:00 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sertorius View Post
Seems like Mr. Gargoyle could be a real pain if you can manage to get him on a defense glyph or (shudder) a wound glyph. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, either...
The real issue is the (usually) two order markers you're spending to move him out there, with no other figures moving. That's a big price, and at times a risk, since your opponent can pick of the non-stone Gargoyle on its way out. But yes, they are excellent glyph-holders. Far from the champs in that category (the rats, of course), but very good.
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Tyrian the Kyrie Warrior by Paronychodon
Tyrian brings a lot of good things to the table as a candidate for inclusion in the 'Scape canon.

For one thing, he is simple. In this era of elaborate customs and even in the recent era of elaborate WotC official units, he is a breath of fresh air. Two abilities, easily understood and familiar from a host of other cards.

For another thing, he occupies his little metagame niche all alone, as far as I can tell. He's not that much *like* anybody else, and certainly nothing like anything else Jandar fields. So he is both familiar and fresh, in the best possible ways.

I did, after giving it a great deal of thought, identify one figure he compares to in the way he plays. I wonder if anybody else came up with the same hero.

Spoiler Alert!

Tyrian is fast and mobile with 7 move and flight and will, map permitting, often have height. So his attack of 3 and defense of 2 can be deceptive. That said, his range of 5 is relatively short for a hero, and even on height his defense of 3 and life of 4 gives him a proverbial glass jaw. A butterfly with a dangerous sting, is our Tyrian. A terrible glyph holder but, as in the story, a speedy assassin.

Bringing us to my playtests.

I played him lumped in with various armies that could benefit from a mobile ranged unit that could seek & destroy. It was my plan to use him, as nyys did, in an endgame situation. I normally found, though, that temptation was too great for me and somewhere in Round 2 or 3 I would load him up with OMs to chase after something that had crept into his considerable threat range.

The one occasion I organized my army and strategy such that I could use him in the endgame, and willed myself to be patient, my opponent slipped past my defenses and slaughtered him in the start zone, which is going to be a danger with such a delicate weapon.

He is very mobile, obviously, but with his short range he normally found himself quickly fired on from range or engaged to some melee unit, from which I would sometimes disengage him to keep going after the original target.

Courtesy of Mmirg:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmirg
Some excerpts from the Journal:

Quote:
Tyrian puts a finger to his lips and makes a hand gesture beckoning me to follow him. He weaves his way through dark halls, as I follow. Tyrian has always struck me as an odd sort of fellow. He trained under Ullar as one of his protectors, and still carries their unique style of crossbow at his side, however shortly after the rise of the Valkyrie he joined up with Jandar and has acted as a sort of messenger.
Quote:

Tyrian pulls back on the reins of his horse, he drops behind a grouping of Ullar’s Protectors and with a calm and deliberate look in his eyes he draws his weapon, points it squarely at the back of one of the Protectors, and fires. The crossbow bolt whistles through the air and finds its target with deadly precision. The Protector cries out in pain and then slumps over in his saddle. Confusion and chaos set in, horses whiney as they’re forced to turn sharply, their riders looking for the source of the attack. Before I can react with even a word of warning, because of a reloading mechanism in Tyrian’s crossbow, a second bolt is loosed as quickly as the first.
Quote:
Three of Ullar’s faithful Protectors lie scattered upon the ground and with them Jandar’s most trusted messenger, Tyrian the swift.
The amazing thing to me about playing Tyrian was how closely he fit the source material from the books. Yes, he's eventually *dead* in the books, but the Tyrian I was testing was taken from the part before he was killed. And he was always eventually dead in my games, too.

Anyway.

I found at his absolute best he was good for roughly his point value, whether taken out of Sir Gilbert's hide or Charos'. He could get height easily enough but could be caught & disposed of before doing too much damage.

The sculpt is one a great many of us already own, which is a big advantage. He doesn't appear to have any deadly synergies (Raelin, etc.) and overall I thought he was fun and fresh and balanced at 110 points.

I vote yes to induct Tyrian the Kyrie Warrior into the Soldiers of Valhalla.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 4th, 2011, 04:33 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Life is back to normal so I am now able to resume my duties as an SoV judge.

Tyrian the Kyrie Warrior by Paronychodon

OK, I was the one judge who voted NO to review Tyrian (technically, Killo did as well but stated later that he would have changed his vote if he had realized everything about the unit).

I originally voted no to review because I didn’t see much that Tyrian could bring to the table that we didn’t already have. Also, since I am big on theme, it seemed that more could have been done with the unit considering the character it was based on. He seemed generic rather than character based.

During testing I did appreciate the sheer simplicity of Tyrian. I enjoyed using him without ever having to look at the card. There was no rules lawyering or raised eyebrows, no wishing there was a FAQ to look at. Although I felt more could have been done with him thematically, I realized this would have ruined this admirable quality of the unit.

This, of course, isn’t enough to give him a yes to induct.

As nyys has already said, I believe, Tyrian was wonderful as an addition to a small army. He never became the keystone figure of the army but he pulled his weight just fine for his points. His speedy mobility gave him an advantage when army point totals limited the amount of squaddies on the map.

In higher point armies Tyrian doesn’t fare as well. His Life/Defense combo with his short range fails quickly when he is faced with a swarm. But of course, how many heroes can withstand a swarming onslaught?

In my testing he shined mostly as a clean-up unit. His mobility combined with his double attack made quick work of whatever the opponent had left, especially if I still had a few squaddies left for a screen.

Another plus is that I didn’t have to proxy him when I was playtesting him and won’t have to spend any more money to play him if he is inducted. I don’t have any “extra” squads of Protectors so I am doing what nyys mentioned- a blue sticker on the base and voila, Tyrian without losing a Protector.

So, I still think he doesn’t bring much new to the table, but, what he does bring is enjoyable and refreshing. My group has gotten into playing several lower point games rather than one large point game so I can see Tyrian getting some use in my group.

If you are looking for a simple unit that pulls his weight in a scenario based or low point game that you don’t have to worry about FAQs for, Tyrian is your man… errr, uh, Kyrie I mean.

I vote YES to induct Tyrian the Kyrie Warrior into the Soldiers of Valhalla.

Last edited by Lamaclown; August 4th, 2011 at 04:39 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs