Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old September 27th, 2009, 04:19 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Edit: Map-Making Theory Thread

Edit: I've decided to remake this thread into a map-making theory thread (hence the title). Just post different things that you've noticed about making maps, such as height, castle types, waterways, ect.

I've just realized a new (possibly) map-making technique. I'm testing it right now. What you do is you make different sections (ie, a mountain, a river, a castle, ect.), not thinking about what it will all look like in the end. It's still being tested by me, but I think it should work well. I know that there are variations of this, such as two people making a separate side of it, or taking turns adding a single piece, but this should work. I'm open to constructive critisism. Thanks!

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work

Last edited by 'Scaper94; October 12th, 2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old September 27th, 2009, 04:31 PM

ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby!
Re: New (maybe) Map Making Technique

I think you need to elaborate more on this... Do you mean with multiple peopl, just give each person an assigned area to build and then fit them all together? Or just making different sections of a map to have unique physical featurs? If it's the latter, then many maps have that--all of them, if you ant to be nitpicky. You could check out Ormus's new map Slamdance Cosmopolis for an excellent example of this.

Proto's Custom Maps and Units!
Old September 27th, 2009, 04:52 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Maybe it would make more sense if there was a poll
Old September 27th, 2009, 05:01 PM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!

If I understand right, MegaSilver thought of a similar thing with the half map contest. I've always wanted to try it, but someone may bring an uneven sided map. If you can make true rules for it, Ie. You can have it 20 spaces wide, 30 front to back, then you may disperse 15 spaces above ground, then add one object.

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.
Old September 27th, 2009, 05:57 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

What I meant was just one person building a map, but not thinking about what the final product will look like. Just build separate physical features, then once you feel like you have enough, put them together to make one map. So, for example, you could make a castle part, a mountain, a swamp, a forest, and a lava field thing. Then find some way to combine each section.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old September 27th, 2009, 06:15 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
What I meant was just one person building a map, but not thinking about what the final product will look like. Just build separate physical features, then once you feel like you have enough, put them together to make one map. So, for example, you could make a castle part, a mountain, a swamp, a forest, and a lava field thing. Then find some way to combine each section.

So basically you build a map.
Old September 27th, 2009, 06:22 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Quote:

Yeah but in order to build a map, first you have to build a map.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old September 27th, 2009, 06:24 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Hmmm...there's always a catch. So I can't build a map unless I can first build a map?
Old September 27th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Maybe he is thinking in terms of MOPs? It sounds to me like he is building various parts, like a MOP, and then assembling it to make the larger map, like a MOP.
Old September 27th, 2009, 06:38 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
Maybe he is thinking in terms of MOPs? It sounds to me like he is building various parts, like a MOP, and then assembling it to make the larger map, like a MOP.
So you're saying it's like a mop..but its not a mop? Is it a Swifer Wet Jet?
Old September 27th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
So you're saying it's like a mop..but its not a mop? Is it a Swifer Wet Jet?
No, I meant like, he is talking about MOPs without saying MOP. Or, that is how it seems to me. If you are right, which you very well might be, he is talking about cleaning products.
Old September 27th, 2009, 07:11 PM

White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Quote:
Quote:

But in order to build a map from scratch, you must first create the universe...

If you want to get really technical, each piece is a map in its own right. Granted, they're not big enough to do much on their own, but playable maps are actually made up of lots of really small single hex maps connected and stacked together...

'Scaper 94, it's nice that you look for new ways of designing maps. I'm sure this one has been thought of by lots of people (great minds, huh?), but never really discussed. I myself have made maps in this manner before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
No matter your feelings towards D&D, it has divided us.
Something tells me that the cancellation, though tragic, may indeed mend that divide...

Last edited by White Noise; September 27th, 2009 at 07:18 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios