Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old October 13th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: The Book of Kurrok the Elementalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
The best chance for the Arrow Grut player is to try to surround Kurrok so that he can't summon.
Kurrok can place summoned elementals up to three hexes away.
Heh - that does take a lot of Arrow Gruts, doesn't it?

~Aldin, in for a penny in for a pound

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:37 AM

dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marv_art View Post
Is there a limit to how many times Kurrok can summon his elementals? Played a game last night and my opponent become frustrated when all that was left was his Orc Archers and my Kurrock sat back and summoned over and over, in the end I had summoned my elementals 10 times!! Finally taking the win. I figured there was no limit. He'd just like it clarified.
I can't imagine how Kurrok finally won the battle.
  • He can only try to summon 1 elemental per turn, and has only 50% to succeed.
  • He can only use his 3 dice adjacent normal attack if he chooses to summon.
  • The summoned elemental can't do any damage immediatly.
  • Kurrok has only 3 def.
How did he managed to survive to multiple ranged attackers ?
Just guessing, but it takes a long time to whittle down Kurrok's 3 defense/5 life using three attacks of 1 - especially if you're also trying to kill 4 defense elementals as they're created. The best chance for the Arrow Grut player is to try to surround Kurrok so that he can't summon.

~Aldin, who once lost Q9 to an attack by a Rat but understands that's a bit unusual
Of course ! My bad ! Attacks of 1 !
Thanks.
Old October 13th, 2010, 03:32 AM

marv_art has disabled reputation

He only had 3 Arrow Gruts left, and I had Raelin backing Kurrock up too. He just kept killing my elementals, I'd resummon, wait for him to come down from the hills and attack with Kurrock and try to summon another elemental too. He held a glyph that added 1 to common attack but, I just ran forward and backward on my turns slowly wittling his Orcs down, being sure not to become engaged to multiple units. It was fun. His problem is he didn't pursue, he wanted to keep the glyph. I think Kurrock had 3 wounds in the end Raelin had 4. In the game previous, me and my opponent BOTH had Kurrock and Elemental armies, 3 glyphs. He landed on Massive Curse and +1 defense. I landed on the glyph that negated an army card, not sure of the name. Since he only had Kurrock as a unique, I chose that fig and completely ruined his summoning startegy and elemental movements. It was all down hill from there for him. Poor opponent.
Old October 14th, 2010, 12:07 PM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker

A colleague of mine hated the Fire Elemental because he had to kill it 3 times... largely due to Kurrok's summon prowes.
Old October 15th, 2010, 10:22 PM

AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahosaphat View Post
My second question is, Can you move the same elemental three times, or does it have to be a different elemental.
I was wondering the same thing, but wasn't satisfied with the answers given in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Your Pie View Post
You cannon use the same elemental three times, just as Ulginesh cannot use Mind Link to control the same elf wizard twice in one turn; he must choose two seperate ones.
Ulginesh's Army Card specifically says "up to 2 different Elf Wizards" whereas Kurrok's Card makes no such statement. Perhaps we can get a clarification on this in the FAQ?

On a differnt note:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencerjared View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marv_art View Post
Is there a limit to how many times Kurrok can summon his elementals?
Well, CRC is right that there isn't a limit to how many times you can summon elementals, or even a particular elemental, except that you may not have more elementals on the board at one time than you started the game with. That clarification is a given if you read the card, but it wasn't clear to me that was understood so I wanted to mention it.
The italicized part through me. Just to clarify, Kurrok can only summon "previously destroyed" Elementals. The way you made it sound it looked like he could summon any type of Elemental as long as the total count didn't exceed the battle's beginning quota.
Old October 15th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

You may take a turn with up to 3 elementals, which would infer 3 different figures.

Guess I'm getting back into Scape
Old October 29th, 2010, 04:16 PM

Crazybob is surprisingly tart

Guard suggestions for Kurrok anyone???
Old October 29th, 2010, 04:52 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybob View Post
Guard suggestions for Kurrok anyone???
I'm going to try a squad of HSB when I get the chance.

Nakitas are expensive but Smoke Powder is the perfect cover and they've got 3 shots of 3.

The Incredible Hulk is REALLY expensive, but he'd probably work too.
Old October 29th, 2010, 05:10 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Good Kurrok companion choices:
  1. Raelin - well, duh. She doesn't need order markers, so you can just put the order markers on Kurrok and let the elementals do damage while Raelin keeps Kurrok alive.
  2. Deathreavers - duh, take two. Against certain opponents (Cyprien, most obviously) you can just surround Kurrok in rats so he won't get attacked. Against common-heavy opponents (especially ranged common squads), you want to rush out the rats to clog up your opponent and give the elementals a chance to get into place. Rats are cheap enough that killing a few with your own fire elementals isn't such a big deal. Rats+Kurrok+water elementals is also a good variant of the classic rats & range combo that would probably work pretty well.
  3. Marro Warriors - Either lead out with them to distract your opponent and take some pot shots while the elementals get into place, or save them for a cheap cleanup squad in the end.
  4. Krav/Q10/Q9 - these are all solid against the ranged commons that can give elementals some trouble. They would probably work well with air elementals, too.
  5. Goblin Cutters - I've been meaning to try this one; it looks fun. Cutters give you a cheap offensive force that fills up your startzone and is good against opposing commons.
Old October 31st, 2010, 08:29 PM
GenCon 2013 Main Event Champion

The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker

We just got a chance to try out an elemental army last night. Here it was.

Kurrok
Fire x 3
Air x 2
Earth x 2
Water x 2
Nilfheim

In the first battle, I was controlling the elementals going up against my brother who had

Microcorp x 2
Warforged x 3
Black Wyrmling x 2
Iron Golem

He sent the Microcorp out in waves, inflicting four wounds on Nilfheim, but the elements were able to take down the first three agents. Then during the time it took for the second three agents to get out, Kurrok summoned the lone Air Elemental who was killed back from the dead. Pulling Nilfheim back, I let the elements do the work again on these next three agents who put Kurrok up to four wounds before taking the last agent out. Then while the Warforged took time to come up, three elementals were summoned back putting me up to full capacity again.

The elemental army won with no help from Nilfheim.

The second time the army was controlled by another worthy Heroscaper who went up against my brother who had

Protectors x 3
Jotun
Omnicron Repulsors x 1

Yes I know we should have a squad of Deathreavers in there instead, but anyway....

It came down to a Fire Elemental versus one Protector and three Omnicron Repulsors. The elemental army lost and from what I understand, Nilfheim didn't do a whole lot in this game either. The battle was pretty much between the elementals and the Protectors who are a very excellent squad to have.

So one win and one loss for this army, but overall, this Kurrok/Elemental combination can truly pull its weight. I read some skepticism about the effectiveness, and as long as you can combat the lack of range somehow, I think it will be competitive.

Kudos on the mention of Nakitas as a possible defense for Kurrok. That's especially in light of the two battles above where ranged figures were trying to pick off Kurrok from the outside of the swarm of elementals.

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

The Orange Mailman
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:12 AM

CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraine69 View Post
You may take a turn with up to 3 elementals, which would infer 3 different figures.
This doesn't necessarily infer you have to take a turn with seperate elementals: it says you may take a turn with up to three. It infers player choice is involved, if it infers anything.

I've been playing it as three seperate elementals: I'd love a clarification, though.

CRC

CRC's Maps: please consider using one of my maps. I'd love the feedback.

Old November 1st, 2010, 06:28 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRedChops View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraine69 View Post
This doesn't necessarily infer you have to take a turn with seperate elementals: it says you may take a turn with up to three. It infers player choice is involved, if it infers anything.

I've been playing it as three seperate elementals: I'd love a clarification, though.

CRC
You don't need a clarification, it would say if you could take a turn with the same figure 3 times. Do what the cards say, not what they don't.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units