Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Old March 25th, 2008, 02:36 PM

WestEnd has disabled reputation
GenCon Event (I hope...)

I need some suggestions from people on how to make sure this works out the way I would like to see it play out. Here is what I am trying to do.

Attack on a Kyrie Castle
Players: 8, 4 per side
Attacker: 7000 pts
Defender: 4400 pts

Description
The attacking army has a predefined selection of 7000 points from Utgar, Vydar, and Einar. The Defender gets 4400 points from Uller and Jandar. There will be at least three maps played in succession with losses carried to the next map, i.e. the loss of a unique unit is a permanent loss. Map one is your basic forest road with a few outpost defenses but not much. Map two is a bridge across a river with mountains/hills on the other side. The last map is the castle on the side of a mountain with several sections, this map I have yet to build so not sure how it will work out.

The Defender has to defend all of the maps, with 800 points on the first map 1200 points on the second and then 2400 on the last map. The defender is allowed to bring up troops from the next map. The attacker can use whatever he/she likes (with a limit of the number of figures that I have which is 2 of each common squad, more of some and 1 of each hero) but has to move it from one end of the map to the other with the ability to capture closer starting zones. Each map will have a reinforcement zone for the defender. Time will be kept from the very first turn and if the attackers can get to a certain point on the last map in about 25 turns they will get 2000 points of reinforcements for the last map. If the defender can hold out at least 6 turns on map one and 15 turns on map two they will get another 1500 points to defend the castle on the last map.

Special rules will be that for every 20 levels up it costs one hex of range and for every 20 levels down you get one hex of range provided you have a range of 4+, and special powers are never affected.

I think that each map and game will take a few hours so I setup a 5 hour block of time to do each battle on each of three days. This of course assumes that GenCon gives me a time slot. My big concern is that the defender says “screw it” and runs away at the first opportunity. I would rather not “force” time limits before they are allowed but I am wondering if I should.

Last question is what do people think of my idea? I will post the maps as soon as I can.

Thoughts, feelings, mindless drool and swamp water are all welcome…

-------------------------------------------
Well it looks like my events where scheduled

BGM01139 Assault on a Kyrie Castle
BGM01140 Heroscape, Assault on a Kyrie Castle Part 2
BGM01141 Heroscape, Assault on a Kyrie Castle Part 3

It should be fun.

I posted all of the maps in the downloads section.
Map 1
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...do=file&id=528

Map 2
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...do=file&id=526

Map 3
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...do=file&id=527

Last edited by WestEnd; June 6th, 2008 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Updated because events where scheduled
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:48 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
So you are going to have an event for 8 people at a convention that has several thousand people?
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:51 PM
so CUTE when he's bitter

Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
And with 7000 points, it would take, probably, the whole dang event.
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara
So you are going to have an event for 8 people at a convention that has several thousand people?
Well I am only one person and I am doing what I can with what I have to enjoy a game that I like. I would like to do other things also.

If Wizards wanted or would do things like this that would be great, but From what I have seen most if not all of what they are going to do in tournaments which I am not really inclined to play in.

Heck if Wizards wanted to do some big battles like this that are open to anyone I would gladly help setup and over see the games. I like large battles I find them interesting and enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroscape Elffy
And with 7000 points, it would take, probably, the whole dang event.
Hence the whole running it in 3 parts on three maps over 3 days.
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Good luck. Sounds like a blast!

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:13 AM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!
I want to play a large game with about 2000 myself... but 7000?! I don't think I even have 7000 points of figures... it would basically be every one playing their entire figure collections against each other.

I played a 1300 vs 1200 point game with my little cuzin, it took at least 8 hours to play. He takes FAST turns, since he does not think them out as much as a die hard scaper does. Also you want 8 people to take their turns... So your going to need to double the time for each turn, more than double how many turns the game will take, and then add in another 6 turns per round... the 8 hour game will quickly turn into a 4 day event... I doubt anyone would want to spend all 4 gencon days playing 1 game.

How many games have you played with more than 4 players?
How many games have you played with more than 1000 points per player?
How many games have you played with 1000 points per player, AND more than 4 players?

If you have not done ALL of the above I recomend you do so... We can always meet at Blue Dragon Games in Utica MI (Mound & M59), and try to play a super sized game. You can then see all the problems of such a large game first hand.

When hasbro/wotc make those large maps at gencon, it is mostly for display purposes, but the corners are usually used for individual 2 player game demos.

If you do this, it would HAVE to be settup like the epic scape rules on the scape site, were the players are split up in pairs, and the pairs are taking turns/playing at the same time, until the line is crossed then it is delt with, this will save about 10 hours of game play .

Do you maybe mean 700 and 440?
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious
I want to play a large game with about 2000 myself... but 7000?! I don't think I even have 7000 points of figures... it would basically be every one playing their entire figure collections against each other.

How many games have you played with more than 4 players?
How many games have you played with more than 1000 points per player?
How many games have you played with 1000 points per player, AND more than 4 players?

If you have not done ALL of the above I recomend you do so... We can always meet at Blue Dragon Games in Utica MI (Mound & M59), and try to play a super sized game. You can then see all the problems of such a large game first hand.

When hasbro/wotc make those large maps at gencon, it is mostly for display purposes, but the corners are usually used for individual 2 player game demos.

If you do this, it would HAVE to be settup like the epic scape rules on the scape site, were the players are split up in pairs, and the pairs are taking turns/playing at the same time, until the line is crossed then it is delt with, this will save about 10 hours of game play .

Do you maybe mean 700 and 440?
Please remember the idea is a TOTAL of 7000 points for ALL THREE maps and all players on the attacking side, and you will not have all 7000 points on at the same time. What you can have on the map at one time will be limited by the figures that I have. As for time I have requested from GenCon 5 hours per day with one map per day I think it can be done with out a problem.

I have done battles with 3500 points per side with three players per side.

I will deffinatly take you up on the Blue Dragon thing since I would like to test some of the maps to make sure they are going to work out.

I have to ask is the pic a shot of all of your HS stuff?
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:35 AM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!
That is mostly empty boxes... before I collapsed the boxes for recycling I piled up all the packages I had to take the photo. Some of the boxes are full tho... (was a thread on it somewhere). I was buying things on sale and parting them out to pay for my collection in the case, in my avatar.

I guess I would have to better understand the way the armies are placed on the multiple maps... it might take a chunk out of the time, yet it will still take a while to play... it sounds similar to my tournament concept were I want people to bring about 2000 points of figures... but they are only allowed to fielf 500 in the first game, and what dies cannot be used in the following games... if you lose 500 in all 4 of the first games, you wont have any figures left for the 5th game and thus your eliminated... it needs a lot of work though because there are lots of problems with the concept, like what if som eone has only Isamu left, against charos and braxas lol. Having them divided into sides as you have might be one solution to balancing it out more.

Also take note of the Ann Arbor tournament on April 5...
And I am not sure if Troy is going to start hosting the Thursday games again or not down at Pandamonium Games...
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious
I guess I would have to better understand the way the armies are placed on the multiple maps... it might take a chunk out of the time, yet it will still take a while to play...
The defender gets there points devided up per map and places figures how he likes anyware on the map. Like it says above, the first map the defender gets 800 points and can bring up more troops or retreat troops.

The attacker will start with in three or 4 hexes of one end and have to move accross the map to the other or eliminate all of the defenders to "take" the map and move to the next one.

I will be supplying a list of the troops that are available to each side.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con