Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old May 21st, 2006, 11:18 PM

Odysseus has disabled reputation
Heroscape Campaign

I'm looking for some brainstorming ideas from you guys.

Ok so here's the quick and dirty: My wife and I get together with a couple of friends once a week to game and Heroscape has pretty much taken over. (Sorry Trivial Pursuit) And being the overly geeky type of gentleman that I am. I have started to think big. Here what I am thinking:

Continental map:
I have no clue what i'm going to do here. Maybe poster board or marker board. But i'll have it sectioned off into territories. Say Risk style, or Romance of the 3 kingdoms. The territories have links to others, be it a river, or road.

Territories:
Every territory has a bonus it grants, i'll get most of the abilities from the glyphs. And at the beginning of each battle a team gets to choose the bonus they wish to have active for the entire battle. (Kinda like Clone Wars) Where you can pick one, and only one ability from any territory you control.

Battles:
Each map for each territory will be pre-designed, and will have special scenario rules. Each map will also have a specific attacking a defending side to start on.

That's the jist. I'll edit this post as I get more ideas and fine tune the rules. Anyone want to throw some ideas at me on how to make this work?

--= Signature Beta v0.1 =--
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:37 AM

Teamski is surprisingly tart
Sounds neat. There was a map created for just a "risk" type thing quite a while ago that might fit what you were looking for. It was broken up into sections, each section a different terrain type, divided by roads.....

-Ski
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:11 AM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun
That would be very cool, I would love to try that. mini battle fields scattered around the house, I love it
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:29 AM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Dang, that's a great idea! I've been kicking around a few campaign ideas and that's a pretty good one. Here's some of the concepts I've been toying with.

Advantage, Winner: For every battle you win, you may add a certain point value to your army. That will make the battles bigger as the game carries on.

Drafting: You begin the campaign with, say, 800 points worth of units. No two players have the same units. A given battle may only call for 400 points (or more or less depending on the scenario) and you draft from your overall army.

Trading: I'd allow trading between the various armies. Or you could 'release' units into the remaining pool and draft a 'free agent'. Maybe 1 per battle or measure-of-time you choose to maintain for the campaign to keep people from swapping out their whole army every time.

That's a couple of my ideas so far. I really like the overall map idea. If you had enough players, you could form alliances with their own time limits and rules.

I wonder if there's enough figures out at this point to only allow players to play with only one general. Probably too early for that: Jandar and Utgar would have a lot to choose from.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velenne
Advantage, Winner: For every battle you win, you may add a certain point value to your army. That will make the battles bigger as the game carries on.
That's a good idea. You're talking overall right? Maybe every 3 battles each army can retire one and draft one unit. I'm thinking different regions will have different point values.

Quote:
Drafting: You begin the campaign with, say, 800 points worth of units. No two players have the same units. A given battle may only call for 400 points (or more or less depending on the scenario) and you draft from your overall army.
Brilliant. I love it

Quote:
Trading: I'd allow trading between the various armies. Or you could 'release' units into the remaining pool and draft a 'free agent'. Maybe 1 per battle or measure-of-time you choose to maintain for the campaign to keep people from swapping out their whole army every time.
See the first response. I think every 3 battles will make people have to balance out their armies as opposed to making an uber water friendly one for an island type battlefield and then switching over to a lava friendly army.

------------------------------------------------------------

I'm also thinking Lore would be appropriate from this. I may start on some of that as well.

This is almost officially a project for me.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:52 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Lore?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:54 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Have you checked out the second issue of the Codex? That has a campaign system in it.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:17 PM

Lore = Story lines behind the action.

Quote:
Have you checked out the second issue of the Codex? That has a campaign system in it.
No I haven't, got a link?

Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:18 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
www.hscodex.com
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:33 PM

That's awesome. A lot of the mechanics i'm going to use but I think i'll still develop a visual map and all the set territories.

Thanks Infinitymax

Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:03 PM

I found those to be too complex for my tastes. I'm not interested in resource management.

I'm working on my own campaign rules now. I'll post them for peer review when finished.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I found those to be too complex for my tastes. I'm not interested in resource management.

I'm working on my own campaign rules now. I'll post them for peer review when finished.
Agreed, that's too much work IMO. And i'm probably doing away with the 1/5 bar to show defense. I want this to be more like linking battles together than making another game.

I'm going to be brainstorming with my brother tonight about ways to do this, i'll post what we come up with as well.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios