Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Closed Thread

Old March 25th, 2008, 11:26 AM

RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby!
Intellectual property is my business, and let me assure you "pictures on the internet" are still copyright protected.

If Marvel wanted, they could track down and issue cease and desist letters to anyone using marvel character pics w/o permission. In that case, though, it'd be bad marketing and tedious. Still, it's their right.

But to point out how serious this is taken by big players - I've heard of websites getting blacklisted by Google for copyright infringement - and even cases where the content thief got to keep their site but the creator got blacklisted - that means their site stopped appearing in search results - if that were to happen to Heroscapers.com, just think of how much heroscape-related information would be lost.

Still, here we have the copyright owner, Hahn, pursuing action against the violator. This isn't a one-time "mistake." Private warnings and rebukes from several sources were given previously. I'm glad the admins are backing Hahn. And I appreciate the heads up.

Plagiarism, intellectual property theft, copyright infringement - these get you kicked out of school, fired, wiped out of Google's databases, fined and arrested. What makes those of you defending jcb think this "is no big deal?" This is a big deal, a serious offense, and repeated pattern of such from a particular individual.
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:32 AM

ullardefeatsall2 has disabled reputation
Why all the hate.

p.s. you know what we need Scapegold. o0oooo0oo000o aaaAaaa

I'm happy if your happy.
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:35 AM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth
I think blazing the boards was exactly the way to go. This is a part of a history of dishonesty on the part of JCB. I think public recourse is absolutely appropriate for the situation.
There is no history of dishonesty on my part. Outside of this photo mess, I don't know quite what you are referring to. It's not exactly fair to make those kind of accusations without proof on your part. That's libel, and I have a right to defend myself against false accusations. I admit to posting the pics Hahn talks about...and even if I didn't the proof is right there on the BGG website links he provided, for all to see....there's no argument there. I assume you have such proof of these other made-up actions? If you are referring to Hahn's claim of me somehow magically cheating the Gencon folks, that is a complete and outright lie that doesn't even make any sense. If he wishes to provide me with some sort of proof of this claim, I'm eager to hear it.

Or are we allowed to just make crap up about folks now? If this thread is to be about the photo postings, keep it about the photo postings unless you have solid evidence of other wrongdoing on my part. There is none.
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:35 AM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnarama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Hot Hatch
If the pictures were posted in a "publicly accessible" place like heroscapers, I'm not sure that you can claim to have copyrights or not. If you wanted copy rights to your pictures, you should have taken the necessary steps. Consult a copy rights lawyers before you declare war. Did you intend to make profit from the pictures? Why did you post them for free in a publicly accessible website? Your claim and your actions are not consistent, but I'm not a lawyer. It just does not make sense. The whole thing is ridiculous IMO.
Not sure if you have any clue how BBG.com works, and for those of you who don't, it's like this. When you submit articles, reviews, or PICTURES you are paid with "Geek Gold" It's the coin of the realm over there. You then use it to upgrade your account.

I'm not saying I owned the right to the Scape stuff in the pictures. It's the fact that he is PROFITING from my work. That's called theft plain and simple.

The wave 7 cards that Truth had posted months before they hit the stores? Guess what he posted those to as his own work. On BGG if you like something you see or read you can reward the user buy giving him more of the aforementioned geek gold.

I've already gotten a reply from the admins on BGG. The pics have been removed and actions are being taken.

I could care less about having a super account over there. I go there for research for the most part. The burn comes from him claiming my work as his own. The original pics had my watermark on them. It was cut out buy him before he posted as his own.
I did no cutting to those pics, of any sort. They came right off of the internets as is. If they were trimmed it was not by me.

I did not think this was a big deal. I didn't claim to have taken the pics, and I care nothing for the Geekgold. As previously stated I have all of it in my account still, last I checked. If you want credit, take it...if you want the Geekgold, take that too. The fact that those pictures were put up back before Wave Three came out and this is just becoming an issue now....that's just strange. There were nearly two and a half years where this could have been discussed and amicably dealt with, so if it seems as if I am unrepentant that's why. A simple PM informing me of Hahn's concerns and this would all have been a non-issue that could have been fixed within hours. Instead his first response is a public dogpile. If that's what he wants, fine...enjoy the blood. If what he really wanted was for the photo postings to be dealt with and Geekgold redistributed, we all know that could have been handled in a much easier fashion.
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:44 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
"I'll just take whatever I want without permission and if someone has a problem with it later, I'll just buy them off with something" is a GREAT attitude.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
317-149
C3V Brainstorm
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Admin & Site Supporter

mrbistro knows what's in an order marker mrbistro knows what's in an order marker mrbistro knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb231
The fact that those pictures were put up back before Wave Three came out and this is just becoming an issue now....that's just strange. There were nearly two and a half years where this could have been discussed and amicably dealt with, so if it seems as if I am unrepentant that's why.
He just found out. I fail to see why that means you shouldn't feel repentant. Perhaps you are weary from owing apologies to so many different people?
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:00 PM
stop starring at my burrito

AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker
Hey, sorry I'm late, where are they passing out the Torches and Pitchforks?

Please keep signatures short.
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Beautiful Colby

truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Quote:
I think blazing the boards was exactly the way to go. This is a part of a history of dishonesty on the part of JCB. I think public recourse is absolutely appropriate for the situation.
There is no history of dishonesty on my part. Outside of this photo mess, I don't know quite what you are referring to. It's not exactly fair to make those kind of accusations without proof on your part. That's libel, and I have a right to defend myself against false accusations. I admit to posting the pics Hahn talks about...and even if I didn't the proof is right there on the BGG website links he provided, for all to see....there's no argument there. I assume you have such proof of these other made-up actions? If you are referring to Hahn's claim of me somehow magically cheating the Gencon folks, that is a complete and outright lie that doesn't even make any sense. If he wishes to provide me with some sort of proof of this claim, I'm eager to hear it.

Or are we allowed to just make crap up about folks now? If this thread is to be about the photo postings, keep it about the photo postings unless you have solid evidence of other wrongdoing on my part. There is none.
If NOTHING else is true, those photo postings date back to '05 and continued on until more recently. That's history.
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:17 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If NOTHING else is true, those photo postings date back to '05 and continued on until more recently. That's history.
And I own up to that. But to play this as some larger conspiracy or legacy of theft on my part is absurd. The pictures were posted at a couple periods of time, beginning, as you say, in 2005. I received no complaints or warnings or anything of the sort. The closest thing to a warning was a misunderstanding between a Marvel poster and I, which was resolved in a thread on the subject and that was that. At no point in all this time, up to the present, did Hahn or anyone else come to me and say "those are my pictures, take them down and give me geekgold please."

Hahn has a right to be upset, certainly, but I also have a right to be upset that he did not contact me privately about this matter, nor make any attempt to directly communicate with me to resolve his grievance. If he just found out about the pictures now, that's fine, he could have mentioned something about it directly to me, but he chose not to.

Avoid your sarcasm, Necroblade. One can be too quick to enjoy piling on...that goes for the rest of you too. If you know nothing of this matter, don't run with falsehoods. Stick to the demonstrable facts.

I'm not buying anyone off, I'm not taking anything. I'm offering a way to settle Hahn's issue, which has just been brought to light now. That's really all I can do. It's not like I drove to Hahn's home and stole his personal effects and sold them for cash. I posted duplicates of snapshots of a board game onto another public board game site....that's the long and short of it, and making this into some giant ugly debacle serves no purpose and does nothing to resolve it.

And Mr Bistro, apologies are easier to come by when grievances are brought to light without false accusations, public bashing, rampant exaggeration and extrapolation, out-of-place levels of anger, and an unclear objective of just what the man wants done to resolve the matter.
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:24 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
I didn't claim to have taken the pics, and I care nothing for the Geekgold

Since you posted them and did not give him credit...you did, since those are the guidelines over at BGG.
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:46 PM

jsilvrs is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade
"I'll just take whatever I want without permission and if someone has a problem with it later, I'll just buy them off with something" is a GREAT attitude.
NecroBlade is right and you shouldn't be jumping on him. Your whole solution to the problem is to redistribute the GeekGold. Hahnarama has not once asked for a payoff and that is all you have offered up.

Great Traders: Huggable Zombie
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:54 PM
One time at band camp...

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnarama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Hot Hatch
If the pictures were posted in a "publicly accessible" place like heroscapers, I'm not sure that you can claim to have copyrights or not. If you wanted copy rights to your pictures, you should have taken the necessary steps. Consult a copy rights lawyers before you declare war. Did you intend to make profit from the pictures? Why did you post them for free in a publicly accessible website? Your claim and your actions are not consistent, but I'm not a lawyer. It just does not make sense. The whole thing is ridiculous IMO.
Not sure if you have any clue how BBG.com works, and for those of you who don't, it's like this. When you submit articles, reviews, or PICTURES you are paid with "Geek Gold" It's the coin of the realm over there. You then use it to upgrade your account.

I'm not saying I owned the right to the Scape stuff in the pictures. It's the fact that he is PROFITING from my work. That's called theft plain and simple.

The wave 7 cards that Truth had posted months before they hit the stores? Guess what he posted those to as his own work. On BGG if you like something you see or read you can reward the user buy giving him more of the aforementioned geek gold.

I've already gotten a reply from the admins on BGG. The pics have been removed and actions are being taken.

I could care less about having a super account over there. I go there for research for the most part. The burn comes from him claiming my work as his own. The original pics had my watermark on them. It was cut out buy him before he posted as his own.
I did no cutting to those pics, of any sort. They came right off of the internets as is. If they were trimmed it was not by me.
Well, where did you get them, then? It seems that finding who actually did this is one of the few ways to redeem yourself. I think that banning members is a waste, but it's not my site, so try looking for those original pics.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape News