Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old October 27th, 2018, 09:37 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!
Re: Lazy Orang's Classic Customs - Fiends of Folklore

I'm alone with the ghost of the swamp, somewhere near the weeping willows
~Steven Herrick

Alright, from this day on, it's only stuff that I haven't shown before, and it's all Spirits, all the time! I'm quite excited about this part, actually - the Spirits are a faction that's really captured my imagination.
Today, we have Bentley Bogbreath, an undead marsh spirit fairly obviously inspired by the likes of
Jenny Greenteeth Jenny Greenteeth
and
Nelly Longarms Nelly Longarms
from British folklore (wouldn't surprise me if I at some point did one of those themselves, but for this guy I wanted to go the more classically Classicscape route and create someone who's more of an 'expy'). His name also takes strong inspiration from them, as I tried to make it sound as though it fit in with them, with the notable shift of being alliterative as well. Is it a little silly? Perhaps, but I don't feel the need to take this guy too seriously. He's not that strong (he fulfills an assassin/cleanup role in a Spirit build, but Dreg Mera can usually do a similar job better), but he's nicely evocative - rising from the depths of the marsh, luring you towards him and grasping you with clammy fingers - so I'm pretty happy with how he turned out.

Card by @DanieLoche

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

~Lazy Orang, making acknowledgement to @Soundwarp SG-1 for the General and Homeworld, as per usual.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================

Last edited by Lazy Orang; October 28th, 2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old October 28th, 2018, 11:42 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Once again I've been a bit crap and couldn't find a fitting quote - I'm starting to think this quote thing may have been a bad idea as something to do every time...
~Lazy Orang

I love to broaden my frame of reference, particularly when it comes to history, mythology and folklore - especially those last two. That's part of the reason why I'm genuinely excited by the fact that three of the figures I've shown so far are based on legends I'd never even heard at the start of the year, namely the Malaysian
Penanggalan Penanggalan
(Paling Dahsyat) and the Japanese
Jubokko Jubokko
(Jubokko) and
Tanuki Tanuki
(Koji-Danuki). The myths and folklore of all sorts of cultures across the globe fascinates me, and, with today's unit, I wanted to look towards Native American folklore. I also wanted to do a Common Squad, because the Spirit faction doesn't have any of those yet.
The Pukwudgies of Native American legend (links
here here
and here) seem like fascinating creatures, and the result of importing them has been a unit that's remarkably versatile and interesting - the main thing you notice when fighting them is just how many tricks they have up their sleeves. As a two-man squad with a defence of two, they don't seem like much, but their other stats and powers allow them to be remarkably effective - disappearing from attacks, moving fast, making solid ranged attacks, rolling for poison damage, the ability to give up an attack to attempt a Mystic Wildfire (a power that's swingy, but potentially deadly and doesn't care how many defence dice you're rolling) and even occasionally messing with your opponents OMs all work together to make a unit that's worth more than the sum of its parts.

Card by @mac122

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

~Lazy Orang, making acknowledgement to @Soundwarp SG-1 for the General and Homeworld, once again. Two thirds of the way through, now!

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================

Last edited by Lazy Orang; October 28th, 2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old October 29th, 2018, 11:27 AM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

Bentley's cool - Rise from the Bog and Lure to the Grave are both kinds of powers that I really dig, so having them on one unit is cool. Is it intended that he can lure someone who's already adjacent?

My biggest problem with the design is probably the last line of Lure to the Grave - feels really easy to miss.

The Pukwudgies have a lot going on. I feel like I'd constantly be re-reading that card to remember how it all worked. Really cool mythology pull, though.
Old October 29th, 2018, 12:41 PM
Hard as ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Bentley's cool - Rise from the Bog and Lure to the Grave are both kinds of powers that I really dig, so having them on one unit is cool. Is it intended that he can lure someone who's already adjacent?

My biggest problem with the design is probably the last line of Lure to the Grave - feels really easy to miss.

The Pukwudgies have a lot going on. I feel like I'd constantly be re-reading that card to remember how it all worked. Really cool mythology pull, though.
Thanks, chap! Yep, he is intended to be able lure people who are adjacent - though admittedly in that case it's less 'luring' and more 'catching them off guard for the defensive penalty'. Didn't want to overly encourage luring more prey before he's finished with whoever he's already ensnared. I've never had any issues remembering the last line of LtG and it's always felt pretty clear to me, but I admit that as the designer I kind of have the advantage there!
Yeah, the Pukwudgies likely do take a few rereads to get right. After a couple of games though it becomes pretty easy to remember how they work, though - it helps that most of the complexity's in the disappearance thing, the other two powers are pretty simple with one of them being a reuse from the Deepwyrm Drow (admittedly with a different number). It's worth the added complexity for their fun, 'Swiss-army knife' playstyle as well, at least to m taste.

And without further ado:

"In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present."
~ Francis Bacon

Okay, we're down to our last three. Next up, Emelia Rhoderyk, a tormented ghost related to a certain heroic dragon rider (to find out how, see the bio). My original reason for designing this unit was because I saw the figure and thought it was beautiful. I ended up with one of the spirits I'm actually oddly happiest with.
Soul Weapon is, obviously, taken from the Death Knights, as I thought it would nicely represent her scythe. Spectral Phase is taken, word for word, from a custom called The Baron Otto von Griben by @justjohn , which is sadly no longer available on this site, though I fortunately was able to print a (tweaked) version before it went down. (Incidentally, on the off-chance @justjohn sees this or anyone has any of his customs saved, I would love to see his cards reposted and archived - he had some great stuff that I admired and pored over years ago when I was lurking and it's a crime that it's all just disappeared).
Moths To a Flame, though, is, in the end, obviously the main hook of the design. When designing this card, I knew that her lantern needed to be the thematic focal point, but it took me a while to figure out how. Lanterns and lights are commonly used to lure people in folklore, but I didn't want to do another generic luring/pulling ability - I already have Bentley and Annie, and it's likely they won't be the last figures in the Spirit faction with that sort of ability (a potential future
will-o'-the-wisp common hero springs to mind). As such, I did some research, and found that the lantern was also, unsurprisingly, used as a guiding symbol. I quickly devised a way I could represent it acting in both ways in one power, and thus, Moths To A Flame - by simultaneously luring opponents' figures and mobilising your own, Emelia does a good job of controlling a battlefield, but isn't too hard to take down. Forcing enemies to take leaving engagements can be quite deadly, though...
The last thing I'll add is just that I'm quite happy with the paint job I managed to give her.

Card by @mac122

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

~Lazy Orang, making the usual acknowledgements to @Soundwarp SG-1 . Tomorrow, a card I can't really claim credit for...

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================

Last edited by Lazy Orang; October 29th, 2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old October 29th, 2018, 12:53 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Digging the Wild Men. A little surprised I have never heard of them.
Old October 30th, 2018, 05:09 PM
Hard as ice

Only the reeds were rustling, but a mist lay on the streams
Like a sea-roke drawn far inland, like a shred of salt sea-dreams.

~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Alright, the penultimate figure of this update, and I'll be completely frank here and give credit where credit's due - this design isn't mine. Not even remotely. In actual fact, this figure is my Mum's design - turns out the Spirits are just the sort of thing that captures her imagination as well, and, as such, she picked out this figure and did something... pretty amazing with it. Though we brainstormed it together (as we do with a lot of units, mine included) and I helped out a bit with the proper Heroscape wording, the ideas, abilities, bio and the unit as a whole are all hers. Well, I did paint it... credit where credit's due, as I said.
My Mum ended up going in a direction I didn't expect for this unit. Obviously the unit was going to be sea and water based (we both love the sea), but she decided to put the focus of he unit on the idea of her summoning a sea roke, or sea fret - a (in this case, thick) fog that generally drifts in from the sea. The moisture in the air completely blocks vision - preventing ranged attacks - and chills people to the bone, reducing their defence, but she can only conjure it if she's in water herself. Notably, Spirits can see through the fog just fine, and they (along with Undead and figures with Ice Resistance) are unaffected by the cold it spreads, making her a solid factional piece. It's beautifully evocative to see these spirits striking while obscured by her sea roke.
It's also an exceptionally powerful aura, there's no denying that - however, this is made up for by the fact that Brishon's stats make Raelin look positively robust, and she'll end up falling to a stiff breeze if you can get to her. In addition, it's obviously quite factional (she's only really viable in Spirit builds or maybe the odd 'melee horde' Undead build such as Zombies of Morindan or Skeletons of Annelintia) due to the fact that it affects both sides equally - you have to work around its immunities to avoid being hurt by it. It's also worth noting that attacks and powers that only require clear sight rather than full line-of-sight (as well as powers that require neither, obviously) can bypass it, giving you some options for counters. Even against armies without one, it's not proven too much - she's a pain in the arse, certainly, and you're likely to pay getting through to her, but once you do, you have the advantage.
As a joyful coincidence, it should be noted that she pairs beautifully with Emelia Rhoderyk who I posted yesterday. This wasn't planned - they weren't designed with each other in mind any more than any other members of the Spirit faction - but it's a situation I'm very much happy with. They help with each other's weaknesses and can form a fairly strong formation - Emelia can muster your forces, including Brishon, setting up a screen for them both and keeping your Spirits on the front lines, while Brishon protects Emelia from being sniped from range and forces the enemy to close in with Sea Roke, just in range for Emelia to pull them in with Moths to a Flame and force LEAs against them thanks to the aforementioned screen. With some good units for screening (Myji Coven, Pukwudgie Wild Men and @TheAverageFan 's Spirit Husks of Ahnend would work well, as would the minions for tomorrow's entry - Annie or Jubokko might also be interesting due to popping up on the front lines without OMs, as well as Bentley Bogbreath thanks to his Clammy Fingers), this can be quite scary, but not unbeatable. Emelia and Brishon are pretty damn good combined 200.
One final note, that I feel is important - by official rules, as an Elemental, Brishon could be activated or resurrected by Kurrok. This is not intended, but we were well aware of it, and as such decided to house-rule Kurrok so that he only effects Small or Medium Elemental Common Heroes, rather than all Small or Medium Elementals. He was needlessly limiting to design space otherwise.

Card by @mac122

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

~Lazy Orang, making her usual acknowledgements to @Soundwarp SG-1 for Homeworld and General, and, of course, to my Mum for everything else save the paintjob (and even that was her idea - I just implemented it ). Just the last one to go... and this one's a big one.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old October 30th, 2018, 05:15 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Brishon is awesome. Sea Roke is a very cool power! May have to pilfer that someday.
Great work L_O's Mum!

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old October 31st, 2018, 01:03 AM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Glad to see Hekatiane forming a well-rounded faction with these Spirits.

If Kurrok bothers you, I could see Brishon as a Hag Species-wise. Although in all honesty she is very fragile and won't play nice with other small/medium Elementals so it probably wouldn't be too big of a problem as is.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old October 31st, 2018, 06:44 PM
Hard as ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Brishon is awesome. Sea Roke is a very cool power! May have to pilfer that someday.
Great work L_O's Mum!
Thanks, chap! We both appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Glad to see Hekatiane forming a well-rounded faction with these Spirits.

If Kurrok bothers you, I could see Brishon as a Hag Species-wise. Although in all honesty she is very fragile and won't play nice with other small/medium Elementals so it probably wouldn't be too big of a problem as is.

~TAF
Glad to see you digging them, chap! Yeah, I'm always happy when I can expand one of Soundwarp's Generals, and this is one of the first opportunities I've had to do a faction based on one of them. (I've also done the Centurions for Luselene - here, here, here and here, who admittedly aren't half as broad, diverse or interesting as the spirits, though I feel that's kind of justified as it fits in with Luselene's theme of crushing order and conformity.) Giving Hekatiane a proper army is starting to make them feel more like the proper part of the game I want them to be.
I can certainly see what you're saying about Kurrok, and I doubt he'd actually break Brishon - however, I still feel he's unnecessarily restrictive to the design space of future Small and Medium Elemental Heroes, a design space I wouldn't be shocked to explore more in the future at some stage, so I still prefer house-ruling it.
Anyway, enough talk - it's time for the grand finale!

"Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"."
~ Edgar Allan Poe

Yes, I know the quote's a tad cliché at this point, but come on, I had to!
Okay here it is, the final unit of this update, and one of the ones I'm happiest with, as well as another leader/hub/focal unit for the spirit faction, right next to Hanternos (and almost eclipsing him in my mind) - Ganimorr! (Anyone who works out how I got that name gets a slice of imaginary cake.)
Now, those who've looked at this thread's OP may have noticed that I've mentioned that I sometimes take other people's customs into account when designing my figures, as I do use a number of the creations on this site (a number that is increasing ). While this hasn't been the first time I've taken someone else's card into account, this is certainly the first time I've based an entire card around something another custom creator's designed. My Mum and I absolutely love ravens, so, several years ago, we ended up picking up a number of @Scytale 's brilliant Ravens of Ostriyich (is that a typo and meant to be Ostrivick, based on the region of Valhalla? I genuinely don't know, though I tweaked it to that when I printed them...) along with their leader, the elf Arianna. As I began to craft the Spirit faction, the mythical associations of Ravens began to draw me, and I knew I wanted to work them into the faction in some way. When I saw this Mage Knight figure, the Ravencloak Visionary, I knew this was the way.

I didn't want to end up copying or replacing Arianna, so I decided that the ideas of activating as many as six Ravens at a time or calling more to the battlefield, as evocative as they may be in isolation, were off limits. I decided to do something quite different for this Raven leader, and, with Carrion Birds, his main power, I think I managed it - them being drawn into battle whenever a Spirit makes a kill feels fitting to their mythological to their mythological associations with death, as well as their real life behaviour as... well, carrion birds, and felt suitably mythic to work. The idea of Ganimorr being rejuvenated by any kills made by his Ravens just felt right.
This power also made Ganimorr act as something of a leader to the Spirit faction, though of a significantly different type to Hanternos. Ganimorr is generally my personal preference (as I said, I love ravens...), but both work well, though I wouldn't suggest using both in the same army outside high-points games. He's also sufficiently different from Arianna as a leader for the Ravens - while Arianna puts the Ravens as the main focus for your attack when using them, swarming with them and sometimes calling more, Ganimorr uses them in a supplementary role to your main Spirit force, harassing the enemy army while the Spirits get the real fighting done. It works quite well.
So, here we go! The last of this update! I've very much enjoyed doing this and hope to update this thread at least somewhat more regularly in future. I already have some ideas lined up - hope you all like Classical History!

Card by @mac122

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

~Lazy Orang, making the usual acknowledgement to @Soundwarp SG-1 and thanking everyone who's taken time to comment on this little mini-wave - it's meant a lot. I'll get the books for these guys up in the fullness of time.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================

Last edited by Lazy Orang; October 31st, 2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old November 9th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Hard as ice

The Tome of Paling Dahsyat

The Tome of Paling Dahsyat

Custom Set Thirteen
Fiends of Folklore

(Card by @mac122 )
Homeworld: Grymworld
The figure used for this unit is a Pathfinder figure from the Maze of Death set.
Its model number and name are #24 / Penanggalan.

Card Text

Spoiler Alert!

Unit Bio
Spoiler Alert!

Rulings, Clarifications and Errata
Spoiler Alert!

Combinations and Synergies
Spoiler Alert!

Immunities, Benefits and Weaknesses
Spoiler Alert!

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================

Last edited by Lazy Orang; February 15th, 2020 at 05:52 PM.
Old November 9th, 2018, 10:31 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I LOVE that folklore monster. Such a bonkers interpretation of a vampire. Good to see someone use the figure!
Old November 13th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Hard as ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
I LOVE that folklore monster. Such a bonkers interpretation of a vampire. Good to see someone use the figure!
Thanks, chap! Yeah, the moment I stumbled across the mini and looked up what it was, there was nothing stopping me...

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards