Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old May 5th, 2008, 06:13 PM

exolegopower is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Need help to beat Q9!

We all know major Q9 is a great character, if not the best, in all of heroscape. I play aganist my friend all the time and he always uses Q9 and I always lose.

I need a good strategy to beat Q9. Can you give some suggestions? If you can also give a good army to go along with your startegy.

My friend's basic team is this:

Q9-180
Venoc Warlord-120
2x Venoc Vipers-80
Raelin-80
Marcu Esenwein-20
Total- 480 points

He crushes me with that. I know it may not be the best team ever, but it beats whatever he uses it. I try a number of different teams and never win.

Can you give me a good strategy to beat this team? And a army build?

Thanks!
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:21 PM

Star Wolf is surprisingly tart
Re: Need help to beat Q9!

Get a Q9 for yourself to counter him.

Star Wolf's scenarios

Q9-"I'm poor, I need more points. Please won't you help me?"

Taelord-"BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.........................NO!"
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:39 PM

ludethescaper has disabled reputation

I would take the following army:

Charos - 210
Isamu - 10
Sonlen - 160
Retiarius - 90

Total - 470

Put all your markers on Isamu first and kill Raelin.
Follow that up with Sonlen and Retiarius whose specials can bypass Q9's Defence
Leave Charos to mop up.

Taking out raelin and Q9 should be fairly easy with this setup
The rest of his army has exactly NO chance to take out Charos unless the dice gods hate you.
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:43 PM

Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby!

Raelin - 80
Krav Maga - 180
Nilfheim - 365
Stingers x2 - 485
Isamu - 495

Nilfheim himself is a great Q9 Counter. His ability to get in close and attack with 6, or 7 with a height advantage. Plus his 6 lives and squad killer special attack makes him a pretty great unit for his point cost. Next, the Krav Maga cannot be taken down by Q9 easily, especially if they have 5 defense from Raelin's Defensive Aura. The stingers can provide as an excellent ranged squad to take him down as well. Height advantage + Stinger Drain = 3 attacks of 5 against Q9, which can be pretty lethal.
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Craploads of Blastatrons and Gladiatrons with a defense booster like Raelin should be able to overwhelm Q9 with multiple turns and tons of attack and defense die boosts.

R~

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:57 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post
Craploads of Blastatrons and Gladiatrons with a defense booster like Raelin should be able to overwhelm Q9 with multiple turns and tons of attack and defense die boosts.

R~
Sounds Familiar?
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
Quote:

R~
Sounds Familiar?
That would never work, especially in a competitive setting.

I'd also like to give a nod to an Arrow Gruts/Swog/Krug/Raelin army as well. The Gruts should be able to handle the Vipers fine, and put a dent in Raelin, then Krug can make use of that giant can-opener he's carrying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:17 PM

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:

R~
Sounds Familiar?
Well it's not like that was the first time I've seen anyone use them but it was the first time I played against them. I also know that Q9 can put the hurt on the blast/glads too but has to take a lot of turns over and over and hope to defend a lot. Now against a Q9/Braxas combo they probably wouldn't be very happy especially on a map they have to do a lot of climbing on. But I digress.... Q9 isn't that hard to take down if you make it defend a LOT eventually it should fail to get enough skulls.

R~

Old May 5th, 2008, 08:13 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Now against a Q9/Braxas combo they probably wouldn't be very happy especially on a map they have to do a lot of climbing on.
R~
Now this sounds very familiar....first round of the main event last year at Gencon, my opponent fielded a 500 pt army consisting of Q-9/Braxas/Laglor.
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Now against a Q9/Braxas combo they probably wouldn't be very happy especially on a map they have to do a lot of climbing on.
R~
Now this sounds very familiar....first round of the main event last year at Gencon, my opponent fielded a 500 pt army consisting of Q-9/Braxas/Laglor.
Ouch, that sounds painful.

R~

Old May 5th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Jotun. This is pretty reliable. Sure, you're spending 225 points to take out 180, but Jotun probably will survive to take of more figures.

2 squads of shades. You're bound to eventually soul devour Q9. Yes, you lose 20 points, but hey, it's not like Q9 is truly worth 180 anyways. And then you can turn Q9 back at your opponent.

Krug and a squad(s) of rats. Use the rats to as a shield so Krug can get to Q9, then Krug smash him. Not to mention the rats could easily kill some vipers too.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by exolegopower View Post
Q9-180
Venoc Warlord-120
2x Venoc Vipers-80
Raelin-80
Marcu Esenwein-20
Total- 480 points
This army's main weakness is that it is full of heroes. When you attack a squad figure, you can never deal more than one wound, but heroes can take multiple wounds at once. What you want is an army with more than one good way to roll big handfuls of attack dice all at once, racking up multiple-wound hits on Q9, Raelin, etc. Then back those hero-killers up with a smaller element that can make 3 or more attacks per turn; this will erase those vipers.

Nilfheim fills both roles at once. He is anti-hero and anti-squad. Major Q10 can hit Raelin with two attacks of four or buzzsaw vipers with four of two. Superheroes can definitely thrive against this army, as long as they have someone to help them against the vipers. Here are some Marvel-driven ideas:

150 Venom
240 Stingers x4
110 Airborne Elite

Venom's 6 attack will work well against Raelin and Q9, and he usually stays alive long enough to use it. Stingers and Airborne are omnivores who will hurt vipers and heroes alike.

245 Dr. Doom
185 Nilfheim
050 Marro Warriors
020 Marcu

Doom and Nilf both have strong hero-killing power, and Nilf and the MWs have quantity attacks as well if needed. Make sure Doom never wastes a chance at Mind Exchange-- you have targets galore!

240 Iron Man
140 Aubriens x2
120 rats x3

I really like Aubriens, but they aren't great at hero-killing and they need protection. Tony and the rats offer both.

220 Captain America
160 Gladiatrons x2
120 Blastatrons x2

I love this army. You never waste order markers moving fresh troops in from the start zone. The whole thing floods forward all at once.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles