Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old October 5th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: The Book of Kaemon Awa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Yeah, power creep is when new units start making all the old stuff obsolete (in terms of rankings, new stuff would be A- to A+, pushing down previous units down). That isn't happening. We are just getting less C or less units than we used to because of the awesome work of the design team.
Agree with this line of reasoning to a degree. Power creep is definitely not whats happening here. Every wave released so far seems to have a solid mix of higher ranking "competitive" units and slower ranking niche / "casual" units. I think this is planed by the designers and has been well executed so far.

But it's a mistake to limit your view of these figures to simply how they stack up on the power rankings. Remember that that system of evaluation is based on a long list of very strict assumptions about the game play. It's very easy to find roles and game types that can catapult C or lower units to A++ status in a hurry.

In this case though, for the purposes of discussing power creep in general, I think using the power rankings is about as good a way to gauge "the creep factor" as any. In that particualr light I think it's fairly obvious that "the creep factor" is essentially non-existent. Combine that with some amazingly cool and unique figures for dungeon and scenario play and I honestly believe that this year has been the best in terms product releases yet.

To bring this back on topic (this is a BOOK after-all) I'd have to say that at 120 I still think of KA as one of the best choices. Like other have said here, the only real difference is that there are a lot of good choices now at the 120 range. The good news is that of the three "big guys" at that range (Siege, Hydra and ol' KA) are all very different figures, filling different roles and requiring different support staff to get the best mileage out of each one. One is a tank figure, requiring greater OM strategy than the others, one is a damage dealer, that wants to avoid taking attacks whenever possible and one is a ranger, sporting a two-hit ranged SA and a high base range of 7. All at the same point cost... I love this game!

While I think one of the worst ways to gauge a figures "value" against another is by looking at how a head-to-head match up would play out, I think in this case it would be KA that wins out against either of these two. While both siege and the hydra have better offensive potential, both are relatively slow moving (hydra suffers from the mobility issues of all 2-hex-5-move figures, siege only has 3 move in "Crag Mode"). On even a small map with only a little height I can see KA effectively kiting either figure for at least 1 damage before they finally closed the distance. Even then KA has counterstrike to fall back on, which is particularly devastating to high defense figures...

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

It doesn't get any more classic than this: The C3V project

Last edited by Dredd Stev; October 5th, 2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd Stev View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Yeah, power creep is when new units start making all the old stuff obsolete (in terms of rankings, new stuff would be A- to A+, pushing down previous units down). That isn't happening. We are just getting less C or less units than we used to because of the awesome work of the design team.
Agree with this line of reasoning to a degree. Power creep is definitely not whats happening here. Every wave released so far seems to have a solid mix of higher ranking "competitive" units and slower ranking niche / "casual" units. I think this is planed by the designers and has been well executed so far.

But it's a mistake to limit your view of these figures to simply how they stack up on the power rankings. Remember that that system of evaluation is based on a long list of very strict assumptions about the game play. It's very easy to find roles and game types that can catapult C or lower units to A++ status in a hurry.

In this case though, for the purposes of discussing power creep in general, I think using the power rankings is about as good a way to gauge "the creep factor" as any. In that particualr light I think it's fairly obvious that "the creep factor" is essentially non-existent. Combine that with some amazingly cool and unique figures for dungeon and scenario play and I honestly believe that this year has been the best in terms product releases yet.
You are completely right - I was using it in a limited "standard tourny" method only. Scenario play can enable pretty much any unit to shine!

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old October 5th, 2010, 11:01 AM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
The good news is that of the three "big guys" at that range (Siege, Hydra and ol' KA)
You just made Agent Skahen very sad.
Old October 5th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
Quote:
The good news is that of the three "big guys" at that range (Siege, Hydra and ol' KA)
You just made Agent Skahen very sad.
HAH! One of the TWO figures I don't own and I went and forgot about her! I'd put her in this list in a second, and think she fits right in as a fourth 120 hero that doesn't really play like any of the others (closest to KA I guess...). She definitely requires a different support staff to get the most out of her though!

EDIT:

Good catch frylock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Frylock again.

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

Old October 5th, 2010, 07:11 PM

simfis Woo who?

This is my first post (!!!)

Im from Germany and when I have any grammer or other kinds of mistakes, please notice it. It trains my english

To Kaemon Awa:
I really love this guy. With an attak and defense of 4, even with a range of 7, is he over the average and that only for 120 points. When I played with him, he always killed more points then he costs. I always use him against squads and heros with weak attak and defense like Khosumet the Darklord or Me- Burq- Sa. It worked very well for my.
Old October 5th, 2010, 07:12 PM

simfis Woo who?

It worked very well for my.

Sorry I mean me!!!!
Old October 5th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Welcome to the boards, simfis. You are spot on-Kaemon Awa is definitely well worth his points. You'll often see him referred to as "Kaemon Awasome" around here, since it's well-established that he is, in fact, totally awesome.

And don't worry about asking people to correct your grammar-we have some posters that are very enthusiastic about "helping" other posters with that.

One pointer-if you have something to correct in a post, you can click the pink "EDIT" button in the bottom right corner of your post, and then you can change whatever you need to, instead of making another post.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old October 6th, 2010, 12:22 AM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I suppose one 120 pointer we are forgetting is our lovable orginal troll Krug.

How can we forget our angry green large fellow?

However, like the others he functions much differently then the others in the 120 point class. Plus he has a very orcish support team.

So then we have:
Kaemon Awa
Skahen
Krug
Seige
Fen Hydra

Anyone of those have a chance to excel if the situation is right for them. Kaemon would probably be the most verstile of the bunch. If I was going to take only one into a dungeon, it would be the Samurai.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Rocket View Post
I suppose one 120 pointer we are forgetting is our lovable orginal troll Krug.

How can we forget our angry green large fellow?

However, like the others he functions much differently then the others in the 120 point class. Plus he has a very orcish support team.

So then we have:
Kaemon Awa
Skahen
Krug
Seige
Fen Hydra

Anyone of those have a chance to excel if the situation is right for them. Kaemon would probably be the most versatile of the bunch. If I was going to take only one into a dungeon, it would be the Samurai.
If I could take ONLY ONE of them into a dungeon... then yea it would probably be KA. If I already had say... Syv in the party then I think Siege looks a lot better. The two Utgar baddies see lots of dungeon play already, but in an evil sort of way.

Old October 6th, 2010, 04:17 PM

simfis Woo who?

@Killometer

Thank you for the tipp

Last edited by simfis; October 6th, 2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:42 AM

Overlord Hikash is surprisingly tart

Had my Kaemon Awa, placed next to a jungle tree on elevation, take out both Q9 and Q10 in a high-point game. The man plays possessed, almost every single time. He's usually one of my first two or three picks.
Old August 10th, 2011, 11:32 AM

Juniour is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord Hikash View Post
Had my Kaemon Awa, placed next to a jungle tree on elevation, take out both Q9 and Q10 in a high-point game. The man plays possessed, almost every single time. He's usually one of my first two or three picks.
I used him in a 3-pack draft event at Gen Con, one game I wound up with him and Q10 against the hive, 2x stingers, and Raelin (SOTM) and Q10 killed 1 stinger before dying (the stinger wound up coming back, thanks to hive rebirth) and I got Kaemon next to a jungle bush with height, he was indestructible. There was a lot of jungle on the map so I was also able to move him around the map while staying near bushes and I was rolling at least 5 defense each time, needless to say he went on a one man wrecking crew killing my opponent's entire team.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units