Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old December 19th, 2009, 06:29 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Book of The Deepwyrm Drow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
The most the figure can receive from that attack is one wound.
Wow, that was completely not how I saw that going. That's the answer, I guess.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old December 19th, 2009, 08:00 PM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker

I posted this in the pre-release discussion, but I like:

Braxas for squads
4x Drow for heros
Otonashi for a color-themed army
Old December 19th, 2009, 08:10 PM

Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker

I would argue that if the Drow attacked with 3 skulls and Migol defended with 1. 3-1=2. Migol's special ability would only allow him to take 1 wound from the attack. Then, becuase the drow inflicted a wound they would roll for their poison ability and if successful they would add an aditional wound, which means migol takes 2 damage.

Last edited by Chardris1287; December 19th, 2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old December 19th, 2009, 08:19 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

That's what Spite and I, and some others, argued as well, but the ruling has been made.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old December 19th, 2009, 08:25 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Reluctantly admitting defeat and adding it to the Book.

EDIT: Actually, I can't put a good clarification into words because I don't personally understand the ruling, but it's posted anyway.

Last edited by spiteofthedice; December 19th, 2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old December 19th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Don't worry, Warlord can help! (sort of?)

Q. Poison Weapons vs. Figures with One-Shield Defense
Is a figure with One-Shield Defense (Migol Ironwill or Crixus) subject to the Drow's Poison Weapons?

A. If the Deepwyrm Drow are rolling for Poison Weapons because of the result of an attack and the figure with One-Shield Defense rolls at least one defense die, the figure with One-Shield Defense will still only take one wound.

If the figure with One-Shield Defense is taking a leaving engagement attack the figure with One-Shield Defense will take both wounds.
Old December 19th, 2009, 08:52 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiteofthedice View Post
Reluctantly admitting defeat and adding it to the Book.

EDIT: Actually, I can't put a good clarification into words because I don't personally understand the ruling, but it's posted anyway.
Why not just adapt what's in the Book of Sujoah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book of Sujoah
Special Case: For a power like Crixus & Migol's One Shield Defense, if you inflicted at least 1 wound on the initial attack roll, even though that's the MOST you could hit them with, inflicting the wound, will still trigger the poison roll. If you roll a 10-19, you can't inflict the wound, so you can't re-roll, but if you roll a 20, the defending figure would STILL be destroyed! (Hasbro FAQ)
Old December 19th, 2009, 09:04 PM

Wow, I completely misunderstood where you were going with the reference to the Book of Sujoah, and didn't even see the "special case" section of the rule above the one I quoted. Yeah, this situation was definitely already covered, so at least this is consistent with previous rulings.

Old December 19th, 2009, 09:28 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

No worries, I should've just quoted it in the first place and saved a lot of confusion.
Old December 20th, 2009, 09:16 AM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Done. Thanks SD and Warlord.

I'll say a final word on this since I was so adamantly against the ruling. I noticed that the card does NOT say "you may roll the d20." It just says "roll." I suppose the idea is that the Drow simply have an attack that is capable of causing 2 wounds, and even though it uses the d20, it is not meant as a separate ability but as an extension of their normal attack.

That's how I choose to make myself feel better. Thank you to everyone who got involved in answering a very good question for the Book.
Old December 20th, 2009, 12:13 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

spite, I think you should clarify the ruling in two ways:
  1. Make it clear that Migol/Crixus can be poisoned if they fail to roll any shields.
  2. For the same reason, make it clear that they can be poisoned on leaving engagement attacks.
Old December 20th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

I think these guys are underrated. 3/3 is a fine base and six move makes them on the fast side (not a huge advantage but strong enough stats). Their poison is a nice touch for wounding heroes and locking them down with a bonus disengage hit. It doesn't really help them in squadscape, and it's common for people to overlook their other ability by this ability focusing on just heroes.

Their hiding ability is helped by certain terrain, but still works without that terrain which I overlooked when I first read it. Terrain attached figures are usually not very good in tournaments because they do not fare well on maps without their terrain. Recently, our current group of designers and playtesters have fixed this problem by simply giving the terrain-units enough other strengths to last on any terrain type map. The Drow are really defensive on dungeon and shadow maps but are still hard to kill on the maps we have now. A 16 or higher is not that hard to roll for a complete save (and you still get to roll defense dice!). On a Shadow space they're a 10 or higher to save and 4 defense, a Dungeon space 13 or higher save and 3 defense dice, and anything else a 16 or higher save and 3 defense. Deepwyrm Drow are one less than the Microcorp Agents but are only 70pt. (less of a loss if you miss the dice) and can increase their save. This goes the same for Darrak Ambershard; 2 defense/ 4 life is weak but the shadow dodge makes him able to last and come in with his 6 attack, hence being a sneak attack (he's also bonding and only 60pt.).

Pelloth with the Drow is probably a powerful combo (on a map with dungeon/shadow terrain or not), I would just look out for Pelloth. If it is on a dungeon map, stick Pelloth on a shadow space and go from there. Versing the Drow against good common squads isn't a bad matchup for the Drow. They're not especially good offensively but they are hard to crack.

A lot of the new figures work with the dungeon terrain and 'crawl'. It's easy to say they won't work competitively because of that. Right now there are really no maps containing the dungeon terrain (dungeon hexes, shadow tiles, and rock outcrops). In time there will be dungeon-terrain maps in tournaments and these figures will be great then. But until then we can sort of only look at who they are minus any abilities based around the dungeon. And still, most of these figures seem nasty-fun in tournaments. . Will these maps be here in time for GenCon? Maybe some.....it really depends on how active map-builders are and possibly how active the BoV is. I'm sure they want to show off the new sets at GenCon and sport the dungeon in some of the tournaments.

Last edited by Cleon; December 20th, 2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Wrong numbers.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units