Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

Old December 7th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Grishnakh's Custom Terrain

Wow. Good Pig!
Old December 7th, 2017, 08:02 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Pig View Post
Those are some pretty epic game pictures!!! As others have mentioned, I love the museum art and banners. Looks fantastic.

I recently picked up the colossal Giant-Man figure that you have in pictures. Did you have any tricks with balancing him on a double-spaced base? His pose makes him a little tough to mount without toppling over.

Also, do you recall where you found those Roman statues that you have on that map?

Thanks!
I left my Giant-Man on his base and simply carved it into a peanut shape. Damn that took a lot of work! But he stands pretty well. He tends to want to lean forward so keep him towards the back of the base. During our game he only fell over once. I'll plug my superhero cards and just say he's a lot of fun to play with our Ant-Man card.

The Roman statues came from the flea market of a historical miniatures model show I went to. He had boxes of them. I believe they were readily bought kids toy figures from the 70s. There were WW2 soldiers, Wild West cowboys, that kinda stuff. I simply have no idea what they are exactly. Chas may know.
Old December 8th, 2017, 07:51 AM

Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Pig View Post
Those are some pretty epic game pictures!!! As others have mentioned, I love the museum art and banners. Looks fantastic.

I recently picked up the colossal Giant-Man figure that you have in pictures. Did you have any tricks with balancing him on a double-spaced base? His pose makes him a little tough to mount without toppling over.

Also, do you recall where you found those Roman statues that you have on that map?

Thanks!
I left my Giant-Man on his base and simply carved it into a peanut shape. Damn that took a lot of work! But he stands pretty well. He tends to want to lean forward so keep him towards the back of the base. During our game he only fell over once. I'll plug my superhero cards and just say he's a lot of fun to play with our Ant-Man card.

The Roman statues came from the flea market of a historical miniatures model show I went to. He had boxes of them. I believe they were readily bought kids toy figures from the 70s. There were WW2 soldiers, Wild West cowboys, that kinda stuff. I simply have no idea what they are exactly. Chas may know.
Hey, thanks for the tips. I'm going to pick up a routing tool later today to use with modifying some of the plastic bits I've accumulated for my city. I think the routing tool would be worth a shot for cutting down that base into a peanut shape. I'm assuming you kept those foot pegs on the base intact.

I also picked up a tumbler style Batmobile after seeing your pictures. I'm assuming it's a bit bigger, the scale is 1/32. Next to the 1/43 vehicles it looks pretty good though.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jada-Batman...item3af70d382c

On a similar note, this water tank with stand works really well for a rooftop destructible object.
https://www.ebay.com/i/142398555357?chn=ps

I really need to share some photos once I've got mods done and everything is painted.
Old December 8th, 2017, 10:42 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

I used a Dremel (maybe this is what GP means by "routing tool"??) to modify the base of a Star Wars minis AT-ST into a peanut. It worked pretty well, especially on the second one I did.

The unmodified base is a large circle:

I cut the base of the figure on the left first. I centered a large peanut base on the underside of the AT-ST's base, right below the feet, then traced and cut. The AT-ST figure is fairly top heavy. The figure on the left is stable, but tends to fall forward on its face if bumped too hard. So when I cut the second base, I biased the peanut base towards the toes as much as I could while tracing it. This one is much more stable. You can see that the edge of the base comes right up to the heel of the foot in the background of the figure on the right and very close to the heel of the foot in the foreground.

Old December 8th, 2017, 04:23 PM

Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Yeah, I meant to say rotary tool, not routing. My work sells one that's similar to a Dremel and has really good reviews and price. This is what happens when you post too early in the morning.

Thanks for sharing the pics Porkins.
Old March 1st, 2021, 12:26 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Based on some recent, renewed interest in our buildings and our terrain rules perhaps it's finally time to revisit our custom creations and rules.

Some history: Our Interactive Terrain Features rules (as well as our building rules) were created back in 2011. To create them took countless hours of experimentation and countless hours of play testing by our gaming group here on Long Island. It went through a tremendous amount of revisions and rewrites to get it to the state it currently is in. The version posted here is actually the 9th version created!

Overall it's held up extremely well over the years. I've played so many games using these rules I've simply lost count. We tend to get positive feedback whenever we introduce it to new players at conventions, and at our local game store. With that said however, it can't please everyone. What one gamer likes, another dislikes.

So, after all these years, here's both our thoughts going forward. And while the positive comments we've received tend to outweigh the negative ones, we still listen to what players tell us about their experience with the rules. We're certainly not above tweaking anything to make it better.

• As I've mentioned in other threads the rules themselves are fairly simple. However, they really need to be edited down. When we originally wrote them we really wanted them to appeal to a wide range of players, so we made sure to cover every situation that our rules might find themselves being used in. The biggest concern was how to use muliti-space objects, especially in uneven terrain. The rules that we came up with work, they just give you a headache reading them. In practice we tend to play these rules on a flat, city street map anyway, so none of this ever really mattered. Still, the rules work well when, for example, you're smashing a truck on top of a building where the truck overhangs the edge.

We are also planning to eventually separate the rules from the back pages that give tips on what and where to purchase the terrain we've searched out and used. Plus some of our rules are a bit scattered through the other booklets on buildings. Things like half hexes and elevators. We'd like to consolidate all of that into one rule booklet and one terrain booklet.

• Secondly is object presentation. We originally went with cards for each type of object. That proved to be a problem and tended to slow the game down. The set up is so big table space is at a premium. Players barely have room for their army cards, let alone multiple ITF cards. With the cards, for example, players kept asking where the Fire Hydrant card was, and could they see it. That started a search for the card, which slowed the game down. So we migrated over to a single chart that every player could have access to. This really sped the game up. However, I'm still searching for a solution here. I think the chart turned some people off. Perhaps there's another way to represent these objects. Perhaps a page or two of objects, presented in a smaller version of the Heroscape cards? Similar to the pages of square cards others on this site have done.

• Next is the way the rules affect the style of play. We've found that most Heroscape players that are introduced to these rules for the first time go crazy picking up and throwing objects until there's nothing left on the battlefield to use. Only then do they close with their opponent to attack. It tends to break theme, and we hear a lot of negative comments because of this. Battlefields in Heroscape are pretty static. Once the battlefield comes alive with objects that can be tactically used it changes the game radically. Some like this, some don't. What a more experienced player starts to realize is not only can you use the terrain to attack with, but you can also deny your opponent from using it. Destroying a tanker truck at range not only does just that, it can also cause surrounding figures to take damage as well.

That brings me to mention a bit about strategy. If you throw an object at a safe distance you avoid close combat. However, if your opponent catches that same thrown item you have just given him a way to attack you back. You really have to choose who you throw objects at! If you smash with an object it causes a lot more damage, but it puts you in closer combat with your enemy. That was always the overall strategy built into the rules. On a deeper level holding an object lowers your ability to defend so a smart player can use that to their advantage. Plus, as I mentioned, destroying an object at range can hurt enemy figures as well.

Then you have players that ignore all of this terrain stuff and just charge into battle normally. This can also be used to deny a figure from using the terrain object, making them take a leaving engagement to get to the object for example. Things can get kinda wild strategically, especially in the middle of a street crowded with figures and objects. (Hulk smashes Thanos with a car, which also clips a tanker truck, which fails it's defense roll and is destroyed, blowing up in the process and hurting all nearby figures, including the Hulk. It's happen many times in our games.)

• Last, and this is the big one, is the amount of damage a thrown object and an object used in a smash attack does. Adjusting Range factors into this as well.

So here's the thing, you either factor the damage the object does on the attack of the figure using the object, or you make the attack number static for all objects, regardless of who uses it. The first example makes the Hulk a lot more dangerous, the second one makes weaker figures more dangerous. Both have their issues.

Some players have told us that our rules were way too powerful. Objects cause way too much damage. (Sometimes this is a factor of whose cards you are using. For example our custom supers tend to be a bit more powerful that those who have tried to more closely match the point spread of classic Scape, plus our custom figures can typically absorb a bit more damage) Regardless, we've recently experimented with toning them down and using static attack numbers. Here's the list:

Small - Range: 10, Attack: 1
Medium - Range: 8, Attack: 3
Large - Range: 6, Attack: 5
Huge - Range: 4, Attack: 7

What we found when we weakened the attacks was that players tended not to even use the objects. Plus it just seemed weird thematically when an angered Hulk smashes with a car and does the same amount of damage that Spiderman would do with the same car.

So we're back to the way things were originally created, attacks are based on the attack of the figure using it, modified by the size of the object being used. (We did adjust numbers a bit when we went from our cards to our chart. Not sure anyone noticed that or not but we attempted to standardize things a bit. Mainly to help make numbers easier to remember.)

So the final question to those of you that have played, or are trying these rules out for the first time is simple. How would you adjust the damage, as well as the range on these objects? (And I'm using the numbers on the chart, not the older cards.) Or, is it perfect the way it is? I'm sure we'll get a wide range of responses here, but it does make for an interesting game theory question. And who knows, one of you may see a better, different way to represent the power of these objects being utilized.

Hulk SMASH!
I just remembered this discussion recently and went back to see where it ended. After re reading through the two threads where we discussed you possibly were looking to Revamp your ITF rules I realized why I didn't know what happened. I had a sever car accident that pretty much had me out of touch here from the back end of 2016 until summer of 2017...which is why I never responded.

So not sure how active you are these days but I am curious if you did make any changes here. I go back and forth on the standard base attack and modifier to figures attack. One thing I've thought of but haven't actually tested yet was a combo but it's kind of a break from standard Heroscape rules. For example...

The attack roll would be a modifier of the figures attack, but it wouldn't be standard Attacker's skulls - Defender's shields. But more a base number of unblockable wounds per item size. Basically Attacker's Skulls > Defender's Shields, Medium sized objects (mailboxes, trash cans, etc) do 1 damage.

So the number of attack dice to hit is higher for Hulk than Spidey so he's more likely to hit but the damage is the same. Hulk will throw that mailbox harder/faster than Spidey so it's harder to avoid/absorb but in the end it's still a mailbox and it can only do so much damage before it disintegrates.

Anyways, just interested in if you put anymore thought in here.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old March 1st, 2021, 08:29 AM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Also very interested. Really enjoyed the rules when we played them at Gen Con.
Old March 1st, 2021, 10:28 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
I just remembered this discussion recently and went back to see where it ended. After re reading through the two threads where we discussed you possibly were looking to Revamp your ITF rules I realized why I didn't know what happened. I had a sever car accident that pretty much had me out of touch here from the back end of 2016 until summer of 2017...which is why I never responded.

So not sure how active you are these days but I am curious if you did make any changes here. I go back and forth on the standard base attack and modifier to figures attack. One thing I've thought of but haven't actually tested yet was a combo but it's kind of a break from standard Heroscape rules. For example...

The attack roll would be a modifier of the figures attack, but it wouldn't be standard Attacker's skulls - Defender's shields. But more a base number of unblockable wounds per item size. Basically Attacker's Skulls > Defender's Shields, Medium sized objects (mailboxes, trash cans, etc) do 1 damage.

So the number of attack dice to hit is higher for Hulk than Spidey so he's more likely to hit but the damage is the same. Hulk will throw that mailbox harder/faster than Spidey so it's harder to avoid/absorb but in the end it's still a mailbox and it can only do so much damage before it disintegrates.

Anyways, just interested in if you put anymore thought in here.
Japes - First of all I'm glad you are alright! A severe car accident? That sounds pretty bad. You never know what life is going to throw at you and I'm happy you are OK. Hopefully it hasn't left you with any long term issues.

But anyway, you are right, I'm not active here anymore. Trust me, long story, but it's all water under the bridge. I do get notices when someone quotes me, thus the reason I've stopped back in. Glad to see the community still thriving!

I did play around with simplifying what I was trying to model with my ITF rules in one of my last posted projects here, my Star Wars customs. I took what I had originally done for supers and modified them for my Force rules. I'm sure my Star Wars thread is still around here somewhere. I was going to take those ideas and perhaps adapt them back into my supers game but I never got back to it.

Regardless, as for me I went back to my first love which is RPGs. And I've been playing a ton of those types of game over these past several years. Covid actually made me reach out to friends and family that are scattered all over the US and helped me reconnect with many of them through gaming. At least one good thing has come out of this horrible pandemic I guess. Heck, with my customs I was moving Heroscape more towards a role playing game anyway and I finally just decided to stop pushing the system and just went back to playing RPGs. I'm glad a few people here appreciated what I was doing, however I realized that many just wanted Heroscape to stay firmly as a board game so I don't think what I was doing was overall well received.

Anyway, if you do take anything I've done and work out a good way to pick up and throw stuff in a game be sure and let me know! I have been thinking about all those superhero miniatures I own and all those buildings I've made. Perhaps I'll pull it all out again someday soon and give it another go, just for old times sake!Be well! -Grishnakh
Old March 1st, 2021, 10:28 PM
Titleless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Also very interested. Really enjoyed the rules when we played them at Gen Con.
It was fun wasn't it Tornado!
Old March 1st, 2021, 10:53 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Ah the Star Wars thread. That's why I couldn't find it. I forgot about that one.

As for me, I'm surviving. It was a brain injury so it's never fully gone but for the most part it's just like getting older. Such as Reflexes, fine motor, and memory are worse than they were. Good to hear you are making the best of a bad situation there. Also glad to hear that you are here less because you are just enjoying another hobby and not that anything happened. I also branched out and created an online version of a sports card game to connect with people all over the place on TableTop Simulator. It is great we have so many ways to stay sane and connected to people in times like this. Stay well.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old March 2nd, 2021, 01:32 AM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
I'm not active here anymore. Trust me, long story, but it's all water under the bridge. I do get notices when someone quotes me, thus the reason I've stopped back in. Glad to see the community still thriving!
For what it's worth Grish. We miss ya, it's contributions like yours to the site and the community that are much of what made this place great. Never be a stranger!

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old March 2nd, 2021, 08:01 AM

Agreed. Stay in touch.
What RPGs do you play?
Been playing my own system on the regular lately. RPGs are my first love as well. We added a new young gamer to the group. Always nice to inject some youth and get new perspective.

Would love to play on your city map again someday.
C3G finally finished and released a couple buildings of our own. You were a huge influence and that game we played always stuck with me.
Thank you.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles