Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media
Other Media Books, Music, Movies, Television, Comics, etc.

Old January 18th, 2007, 09:53 PM

Havokscry has disabled reputation
TV Show Discussion - HBO Series - Rome (Mature Audiences)

I've only had HBO for around three or four months now. Up until now, I really haven't watched much of it. I was never a Sopranos fan and Carnivale has long been cancelled. That pretty much left me with Deadwood and Rome.

I started watching a Rome marathon about a week and a half ago and couldn't stop. It's sick, twisted, brutal, sad, and tragic.

Here is a brief description from Wikipedia....

"The series is a historical drama depicting the period of history surrounding the violent transformation of the Roman Republic into the Roman Empire; a change driven by the class struggle between Patrician and Plebeian (in Latin the patricii and the plebeii), the decay of political institutions, and the actions of ambitious men.

While showing the lives of the rich, powerful, and "historically significant", the show's perspective is centered around the lives, fortunes, families, and acquaintances of two Roman soldiers: Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo, two soldiers mentioned in Caesar's Commentarii de Bello Gallico.

The first season depicts Caesar's civil war and Julius Caesar's rise to absolute dictatorship over Rome, and his subsequent fall, between the end of his Gallic Wars (52 BC or 701 ab urbe condita) and his assassination on March 15, 44 BC (the infamous Ides of March). Against the backdrop of these cataclysmic events, we are also shown the young Octavian, growing up as the young man who is destined to become the first Emperor of Rome: Augustus."

On a side note, the Roman Legion reminded me so much of Heroscape.

Old January 18th, 2007, 10:00 PM
This week: Joah 2 Nwojedi 0

Joah has disabled reputation
Yeah, I love it.
I had to re-watch last week cause I missed a couple episoeds in the first season.
I also missed the first ep. of the 2nd season, so I'll check back when I've it.
Should be on again later tonight, or tomorrow for sure.
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:04 PM

Havokscry has disabled reputation
I feel dirty every time I watch it. The first episode is pretty darn jaw dropping. I think the friendship between Lucius and Titus has to be one of the greatest I've ever seen portrayed on television.

Old January 19th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
The next-to-last episode of season 1 has the absolute greatest fight scene ever filmed (in my humble-and-probably-wrong opinion). Now I just wish I could get in a brawl, so I could walk around with a fist in the air going:

THIRTEEN!! THIRTEEN!!

But yeah, I love that show. First episode of season 2 was great. Knowing how some of the political interplay works out just makes it more exciting.

And I love how Titus Pullo, this hapless, dopey, misguided soldier (who is, incidentally, one of the most dangerous men alive) manages to manipulate history at every turn - without ever trying, and without ever getting so much as an honorable mention.

The son of Caesar and Cleopatra? Titus Pullo's. The riot that lead to the fall of the Roman Republic? Titus Pullo's fault. The recovery of the gold stolen from Rome? Accidentally Titus Pullo, again.

Great freaking show. One of my favorite series' ever.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old January 19th, 2007, 02:18 AM

jdtenor knows what's in an order marker jdtenor knows what's in an order marker
THIRTEEN!! THIRTEEN!!
Best fight scene ever,didn't realize season 2 started I'll have to check it out!

Giggity, giggity, giggity, giggity!

You must be this beautiful to ride the Quagmire!

Lose the zero, get with the hero!

Dear diary: Jackpot!

Fat chicks need love too...they just have to PAY!
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:23 AM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker
In recently saw some commercials about this. It looks good, but I don't have HBO and I am not sure it is worth getting HBO just for this. Maybe I will check out the DVDs of season 1.
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I watched the first couple of episodes when the show started...back in the Summer of 05? Has it been that long?! Wow....anyways, I couldn't get into it then and stopped watching, perhaps I need to give it another go?
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:15 AM
This week: Joah 2 Nwojedi 0

Joah has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by netherspirit
I watched the first couple of episodes when the show started...back in the Summer of 05? Has it been that long?! Wow....anyways, I couldn't get into it then and stopped watching, perhaps I need to give it another go?
I think you would really like it Nether.
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
It's a great show. Really it is.

But havok, you should watch Carnivale.
Old January 19th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Carnivale is also excellent. I've found that I've been very happy with nearly every HBO show. I'm also watching Extras now, and it's hilarious.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old January 19th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax
Carnivale is also excellent. I've found that I've been very happy with nearly every HBO show. I'm also watching Extras now, and it's hilarious.
I am planning on checking out Extras. It has made my list of shows to watch, I just need to find time to watch it.
Old January 19th, 2007, 12:33 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
I love Rome! I don't have HBO, but I heard good things about the show and I got the first season on DVD from the library last month. Even my wife (definitely not a fan of the explicit violence and sex the show emphasizes) really likes this show. Lucius and Titus are just such powerful and engaging characters.

That fight you guys are talking about is giving me shivers just thinking about it. Unbelievable!

I also loved the lead up to the end of Season two's first episode. I heard the screams and yells and then the silence...I just smiled real big. That's gotta be Lucius and Titus.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media