Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

View Poll Results: Which faction has the best common squads?
Utgar 35 46.05%
Jandar 15 19.74%
Einar 16 21.05%
Vydar 6 7.89%
Aquilla 1 1.32%
Valkrill 2 2.63%
Ullar 1 1.32%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 16th, 2012, 05:52 PM

Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Which Faction has the best common squads?

I'm a huge fan of KoW and 4th Mass (who isn't?), but I'm also a fan of the MacDirks, and, to a lesser extent, the SoJ.

If you have an idea for a signature, let me know. Until then, this stays here
My Trade List
My Custom Map Thread
Old April 16th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rÿchean View Post
Deathreavers, Marro Dividers, Marro Stingers, Blade Gruts, Heavy Gruts, Arrow Gruts, Phantom Knights, Zombies, Minions, etc....

Utgar has more commons sqauds and about half of them are pretty darn solid.
My thoughts exactly. The Zombies are also the best themed design IMO.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old April 16th, 2012, 06:30 PM
the above

William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Dude Warforged Soldiers any day of the week! Though that is closely followed by Capuan Gladiators, Zombies of Morindan and Marro Dividers but I'm gonna vote for vydar.

Customs here
Master Set IV/Assault in the Mournlands.
William099 is Lord of Blades...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old April 16th, 2012, 06:54 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Here is the results, if you take the common squads from each general and average there power rankings.

1. Vydar
2. Valkrill
3. Aquilla
4. Jandar
5. Utgar
6. Ullar
7. Einar

Here is the results if you use the top 4 common squad power ranking from each general (because Valkrill has only 4 common squads).

1. Utgar, same as poll.
2. Jandar, same as poll.
3. Vydar, one above poll.
4. Einar, one below poll.
5t. Valkrill, one above poll.
5t. Ullar, two above poll.
7. Aqullia, two below poll.

Utgar is a 1/3 letter grade above Jandar.

Last edited by infectedsloth; April 17th, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old April 16th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Pound for pound or point for point, Vydar is the best, hero and\or squads. If I have to run a random army from any one general I am going Vydar all the way every day.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old April 16th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

I chose Einar, but every General has at least 1-3 very good common squads, those being listed below:

Utgar: Phantom Knights, Deathreavers, Heavy Gruts

Jandar: Knights of Weston, 4th Mass

Einar: Romans, 10th Reg, Capuan Gladiators

Vydar: Gladiatrons, Blastatrons, Warforged Soldiers

Aquilla: Mohicans, Dwarves

Valkrill: Death Chasers, Horned Skull Brutes (only in conjunction with Goblin Cutters)

Ullar: Greenscale Warriors (of course), Aubrien Archers, and to a lesser extent, Venoc Vipers. If you start playing Vipers x7, it's going to get ugly for expensive enemy squad figures. It's difficult to deny the use of 3 attacks of 3 for only 40 points (with the Warlord, it's often 3 attacks of 4, I mean honestly, in what melee situation do 9 move Vipers not get height?)

All in all, I say that when you apply the term factions, it should be defined as, in terms of 'Scape, Agents, or Soldiers, Warriors, Orcs, Marro, etc. Synergies are spread across the generals, and this was especially true in the soldier build until we got Brits in Wave 8. Still, armies using MDG, WF Soldier, and 4th Mass (cheaper than Brits) can still be interesting.

But I'm a sucker for the lines of Romans clutching swords, spears, and the classic shield. In Honorem Roma!
Old April 16th, 2012, 09:33 PM

Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
But I'm a sucker for the lines of Romans clutching swords, spears, and the classic shield. In Honorem Roma!
I'll be the first to admit that I own more Romans than any other common squad (a pathetic 3 ). However, not even I know if that's due to availability or the fact that I like them the most. however, I don't own/play enough 10th Reg/Caps to know how much i would like them, whereas I have 2 squads of KoW, and can very easily borrow a 3rd set, in addition to a 2nd MacDirk Warriors and a 2nd 4th Mass from a very close friend who lives down the block. I stick with my decision of Jandar.

My Trade List
My Custom Map Thread
Old April 16th, 2012, 09:37 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
I chose Einar, but every General has at least 1-3 very good common squads, those being listed below:

Utgar: Phantom Knights, Deathreavers, Heavy Gruts
???
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_poison View Post
A+
Deathreavers (40*)

A
4th Mass. Line (70*)
Blastatrons (60*)
Gladiatrons (80*)
Heavy Gruts (70*)
Knights of Weston(70*)
Marro Stingers (60*)

A-
10th Regiment of Foot (75*)
The Axegrinders of Burning Forge (70*)
Death Chasers of Thesk (55*)
Greenscale Warriors (60*)
Marro Dividers (50*)
Minions of Utgar (110*)
Phantom Knights (70*)
Sentinels of Jandar (110*)

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old April 16th, 2012, 11:37 PM

The Romans are up there, regardless of that chart (I know thats not the point you were trying to make Rÿchean, but still)

My Trade List
My Custom Map Thread
Old April 16th, 2012, 11:41 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth

Yeah, just a lot of favorite type posts. I know it is all opinion.

I mean my favs are Einar and Vydar but Utgar has so many options and so many key abilities when it comes to common squads that I had to give Utgar the nod for best.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old April 17th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

This time Utgar wins both the quantity AND the quality competitions, hands down.

Sure, if we want a one general army we could probably do some damage with the 4th Mass or KoW, but I'll take stingers instead of the 4th Mass, heavy gruts instead of the KoW, and then there is no answer for the deathreavers.

All ye people who are voting for Einar, why? Is it all 10th reg? Is there that much gladiator love out there??
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Kroc,

It's probably the Legionnaires + 10th that have Einar doing as well as they are. Both are very capable squads, if a bit trickier to utilize well than the KoW + 4th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rÿchean View Post
Yeah, just a lot of favorite type posts. I know it is all opinion.

I mean my favs are Einar and Vydar but Utgar has so many options and so many key abilities when it comes to common squads that I had to give Utgar the nod for best.
One thing I like about "best" is that it can be interpreted as a popularity contest - as long as you can defend what it is about a squad that makes them the best.

For example, the best common squad is clearly the... Deathstalkers. Coolest sculpts in the game. Aesthetically they are the best squad. Or I might point out that the best two squads are clearly the... Venoc Vipers and Aubrien Archers. Taking another turn is the best power in the game and totally fits my playstyle (you sense your friendly Admin may be stretching the truth a bit here to make a point). But really, the best common squads in the game are the Gladiatron/Blastatron combo. If you're looking for an easy button and a consistent tourney winner you need look no further. Except that the best squad in the game is the Axegrinders of the Burning Forge and their amazing synergy with the spectacular Dwarf heroes.

Heh - that was fun. Anyone else want to give some love to Einar, Jandar and Valkrill?

~Aldin, humming the Karate Kid theme

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units