Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old December 6th, 2007, 09:13 AM

tyguy94920 is surprisingly tart
The Lineage of the Samurai

The Lineage of the Samurai

Samurai are without a doubt the coolest figures in Heroscape. The high attack and move of the Kozoke Samurai; to the low defense of the Ashigaru. Each has their place in an army, and each does it with honor and sacrifice to their lord (you!). The most pronounced flaw of the Samurai is the fact that you can’t use all of them unless you start getting into major battles of 1000+. One of each squad cost 695 (5 point samurai anyone), and that doesn’t include doubles or more of the commons to make them worth their point value.

When I play with the Samurai I normaly draft a great range figure such as the Airborne Elite to rid the opponent of their range, as range is anyone’s nightmare, but the Samurai can be great squads without them.

PROS

Counterstrike
The big one, the reason for the Samurai is the fact that they can attack while being attacked, and should be bosted whenever possible, with Taro or Raelin

High Attacks
Most of the Samurai have higher attacks than that of their class, Izumi, Tawaga Archers, and Taro only have an attack of two, the Harquebus with an attack of three with wait and fire, while the Kozoke have an attack of five, Tawaga- possible six, and the Yari with the special of six

High Defense
Why the Samurai are good, for they are hard to kill, and counterstrike will make your opponent think twice about attacking

CONS

Lack of Bonding
This keeps the Samurai hard to field at the moment because keeping all the Samurai together, where they are most effective, is hard to do. But this will change with Kato

Lets examine the stats of the Samurai

Izumi Samurai

Move- 6
Range- 1
Attack- 2
Defense- 5
Cost- 60
Counterstrike

These are the bodyguards of the Samurai army, as 5 defense plus counter strike is a recipe for success. When using them put them on a glyph, or protecting a hero you plan on using, or a cheerleading figure such as Hatamoro Taro, or Raelin. Their Strategy Guide

Kozoke Samurai

Move- 5
Range- 1
Attack- 5
Defense- 3
Cost- 100
Counterstrike
Charging Assault

While the Kozoke have a low defense of three, an attack of five is more than many squads wish to have. Charging Assault changes their low move of five to an unpreceded move of eight, which can catch an unwary opponent off guard. This is the squad that you send right off the bat to do as much destruction as possible to the enemy before they can react.

Tawaga Samurai

Move 6
Range 1
Attack- 3
Defense- 5
Cost- 120
Counterstrike
Bloodlust

The next release of the samurai, the Tawaga, is the all around hitters of the Samurai. Let them guard in front of the Izumi until they get some counterstrike hits to get some bloodlust going, then go on a rampage to destroy their points worth. Three attacks of six will cut through heavy hitters such a Su-Bak-Na, and their defense of five will let them take some heavy hits, and possibly do some more counterstrike damage.

Tawaga Samurai Archers

Move- 5
Range- 6
Attack- 2
Defense- 3
Cost- 65
Counterstrike

The ranged Samurai, these guys are made to cover your other samurai for when they are charging towards your enemy’s main forces providing fire when needed. Or protecting your base (Hatamoro, Raelin, ect…) for when it’s being attacked. For more depth check out their strategy guide

Kaemon Awa

Move- 5
Range- 7
Attack- 4
Defense- 4
Counterstrike
Quick Release Special Attack

This guy is Great, ‘Nuff Said!

Hatamoro Taro

Move- 6
Range- 1
Attack- 2
Defense- 2
Cost- 130
Heroic Defensive Aura (Counterstrike enhancements)
Adjacent Tough 1

Considered the worst flagbearer, Taro helps with the flaw of rolling defense dice, the probabilities. With him you have the same probability of blocking five attack dice with five defense dice over needing six or seven. For more depth check out his strategy guide

Ashigaru Harquebus

Move- 5
Range- 6
Attack 2
Defense 1
Cost- 60
Wait then Fire

Ashigaru Yari

Move- 5
Range- 1
Attack- 2
Defense- 1
Cost- 40

The Ashigaru are often passed by their one defense and their abilities, which have been used before on the Zombies of Morridian, and the 4th Mass. Line. But you have to remember, IT’S EINAR, he can do stuff like that! These guys should be your last line of defense when your attacker is out of ranged figures. By this time most of both your, and your opponents army should be mostly eliminated. Save them, along with your Izumi, and when your opponent moves towards you tie them up with the Izumi and Rain lead from above with possibly four attack, then surround them with the Yari and mop them up.

Gurei-Oni

Move- 1
Range- 1
Attack- 4
Defense- 4
Cost- 100
Evil Eye Defense
Tetsubo Special Attack

Ranged Counterstrike, and the stats of Kaemon Awa, sweetness!

Kato Katsura

Move-
Range- 1
Attack- 4
Defense- 4
Cost 200
Kato’s Command

Never worry about order markers again!

Ninjas of the Northern Wind

Move- 6
Range- 1
Attack- 4
Defense- 3
Cost- 110
Disappearing Ninja 12
Ghost Walk

Four attack and a forty percent chance of dodging normal attacks. I almost always send these guys out first to remove ranged threats, because they can move behind the enemies’ front line and get the heavy hitters before they know what hit them, and because Taro’s Aura doesn’t affect them, there is no need to worry about careful placement. Rush in, do damage, and if still alive, get the heck out!

Isamu

Move- 6
Range- 1
Attack- 3
Defense- 1
Cost- 10
Disappearing Ninja 9
Ghost Walk

Another Ninja, and could be described as better than the Ninjas of the Northern Wind, for his Vanish 9 works on ALL attacks and is easier to get, but his one defense won’t get him anywhere. He best works on Jandar figures because of his +2 attack. Use him early game for a heavy Jandar figure such as Nifflim. Or late game to get some last hits on your enemy.

Charos

Move- 5
Range- 1
Attack- 5
Defense- 5
Cost- 210
Counterstrike

Though Charos isn’t a Samurai, or even belong to Einar, I believe that he should be mentioned here, for the fact that he has counterstrike, like most Samurai. His Life of nine and defense of five, he has more survivability than that of other dragons. His attack of five also bears mentioning for being higher than average, but it is lower than that of the other dragons. Charos is a mid-game figure after you have removed your opponents range, or most of his stronger ranged figures. His life and counterstrike guarantee that he will live a while.

Stratigies

Hook, Line, and Sinker
This works well with the Tawaga Samurai Archers and the Kozoke Samurai, though the Tawaga Samurai can be substituted for the Kozoke. March your squads towards your enemy, the Archers in front, fireing arrow vollies at them until the Samurai are ready for their charging assault. When in range, rush in with the Samurai and hit them while they are down.

The Waiting Game

On a game without glyphs this can be a useful tactic. Find a well fortified position and move all your Samurai on it. Harquebus on the back line with hight mandatory, then the Archers Slightly in front, Yari in front of the Archers, and the Izumi or unbloodlusted Tawaga in front of them, Taro in a position to place his Aura on all of them, and the Kozoke on the sidelines for protection. This is great for a bottleneck where your enemy can only go through one wave of your defenses at a time.

Surgical Strike

This strategy can use all forms of the Samurai, but written in mind for the Izumi, Kozoke, and Tawaga Samurai and Kato will make this maneuver even easier. It should be used when you have an opponent that has figures grouped around a figure like Raelin. It is essentially a flanking maneuver, to get into the crunchy Raelin center in the middle (much like a Snickers Bar). First move in the Izumi to tie up the group as much as possible, or create a roadblock, then you can move in your Kozoke and Tawaga on the side or wherever you can get the best point of attack. Depending on the group your attacking and the crunchy goodness is the middle, or if your Tawagas are bloodlusted or not you will have to change up the strategy a bit. For example I will use, Raelin surrounded by four Tarns and two Airborne Elite, while I still had unbloodlusted Tawagas. I would first send in the Kozoke to remove the bumped up Tarns and AE, then when a spot opens up rush in the Tawaga to attack Raelin.

The Ninja Shuffle (Thanks to Jexik)

Idea I saw from Jexik on the topic of the Isamu shuffle. It will never make competitive play. What it is, is while instead of wasting attacks while moving your figures into an attacking area, is to use those attacks on your Ninjas where they can disappear and move four spaces towards where you might need them later. Units with low attacks, like the Harquebus (without height and moving) can use these figures as body guards, and while if you miss a disappear roll, you still have a chance of keeping your figures.

Armies

Tawaga Based Armies (Thanks to Browncoat at http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=14026)

500 Points

Kaemon Awa
Tagawa Samurai
Tagawa Samurai Archers (x2)
Ashigaru Harquebus (x2)
= 490

600 Points

Kaemon Awa
Hatamoto Taro
Tagawa Samurai
Tagawa Samurai Archers
Ashigaru Harquebus (x2)
Ashigaru Yari
= 595

- Kaemon Awa
- Hatamoto Taro
- Harquebus/Yari (x1)
- Tagawa Samurai
- Tagawa Samurai Archers (x2)
=600

700 Points

Kaemon Awa
Hatamoto Taro
Tagawa Samurai
Ashigaru Harquebus (x2)
Ashigaru Yari (x2)
= 700

Kaemon Awa
Hatamoto Taro
Tagawa Samurai
Ninjas of the Norther Wind
Raelin
=700

800 Points
Kato Katsura
Hatamoto Taro
Kaemon Awa
Tawaga Samurai
Ashigaru Harquebus
Ashigaru Yari
=800

Credit goes out to the Strategy Writers, Necroblade, Browncoat, and Rocktroll

Click Above for My Sig Link
Old December 6th, 2007, 09:13 AM

It’s not done yet but I am working on it.

I would like to know how to link the words to the books so when you click on Tawaga Samurai it goes to the book.

Any tips or strategies will be appreciated

Old December 6th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death!
Have you considered adding Shiori and Isamu?

Old December 6th, 2007, 03:28 PM

RickyDMMontoya has disabled reputation
Ninjas are not Samurai.

And pirates are not ninjas.
Old December 6th, 2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker
Have you considered adding Shiori and Isamu?
I forgot about them, thanks. But I have never used Shiori so I couldn't get a very accurate statigy for her

Quote:
Ninjas are not Samurai.

And pirates are not ninjas.
But they are just as cool and still fit in a themed army.

Old December 6th, 2007, 05:29 PM

Scath is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
-------------
While the Kozoke have a low defense of three, an attack of five is more than many squads wish to have. Charging Assault changes their low move of four to an unpreceded move of eight, which can catch an unwary opponent off guard. This is the squad that you send right off the bat to do as much destruction as possible to the enemy before they can react.
-------------

Should be:
...low move of five to an unpreceded move of eight...
Old December 6th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scath
-------------
While the Kozoke have a low defense of three, an attack of five is more than many squads wish to have. Charging Assault changes their low move of four to an unpreceded move of eight, which can catch an unwary opponent off guard. This is the squad that you send right off the bat to do as much destruction as possible to the enemy before they can react.
-------------

Should be:
...low move of five to an unpreceded move of eight...
Fixed, thanks

Old December 6th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
The Tagawa Samurai Archers' move is 5, not 6.
Old December 6th, 2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arp12
I knew that didn't look right, fixed.

Does anyone have any stratigies for me?

Old December 6th, 2007, 09:07 PM

Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyguy94920
Quote:

Check out the Strategy Guide Index sticky. Read the guide for the Izumi, Tagawa Archers, and any others that appeal to you.

Old December 6th, 2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Check out the Strategy Guide Index sticky. Read the guide for the Izumi, Tagawa Archers, and any others that appeal to you.
The Guides are good on the samurai on the point of some subtle things you can do with them, but not any manuvers or that sort as some of the other guides do.

Old December 6th, 2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The Guides are good on the samurai on the point of some subtle things you can do with them, but not any manuvers or that sort as some of the other guides do.
You might want to use the Izumi as bodyguards for Hatamoto Taro. They can give him Adjacent Tough and allow him to avoid being swarmed by too many figures. Also, Kato Katsuro can activate them to take on anyone who comes too near the flagbearer.

I would use the other Samurai to take out Dund when he gets too near Kato. The Harquebus are also good in this regard. Also, if Dund or the Fiorlag Spiders are in your opponent's army, consider leaving an order marker not the X) on one of your non-Kato army cards.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles