Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old April 17th, 2021, 10:16 AM

That_American_Idiot is surprisingly tart
Custom Overwatch Figures

Hey all! Just had an itch to create some Army Cards for Heroscape and I knew exactly where to find some cool characters. Overwatch! I'm unsure if anyone has created custom Overwatch characters in the past, but this is my take on them! I chose Overwatch because its roster of characters are so diverse in their abilities. I figured translating them into Heroscape would make some really fun ideas. Now, Overwatch is quite different from Heroscape, and there were plenty of difficulties translating character powers, but I think what I ended up with just may work. I'm not really intending to use these in my games because I don't have any miniature figures in mind, so none of them will be play tested. I just wanted to write down some cool abilities and hopefully discuss with everyone on if they would conceptually work in Heroscape or not! I hope you enjoy.
Old April 17th, 2021, 11:02 AM

Re: Custom Overwatch Figures

I've just been doing this in alphabetical order, so I made the first six characters. It actually turned out being eight army cards so I really had a handful. I'm unsure if I'll continue making them for all the characters in Overwatch. It will depend on the feedback/my desire to actually make more! Without further ado, here is the first batch

Ana
Spoiler Alert!

Ashe
Spoiler Alert!

Baptiste
Spoiler Alert!

Bastion
Spoiler Alert!

Brigitte
Spoiler Alert!

D.Va
Spoiler Alert!

Doomfist
Spoiler Alert!

Echo
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by That_American_Idiot; April 21st, 2021 at 08:34 PM.
Old April 28th, 2021, 10:03 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

It's been a long time since I've played Overwatch unfortunately, but I like how you captured the core of a lot of these characters with relatively simple mechanics! Commenting on the ones that I recognize from the game:

Ana
Ana was one of my favorite heroes to play as in the game, so I'm glad to see that her card also looks really unique.

I love the stats here, though I feel like her class should probably be Sniper rather than Bounty Hunter (I'm not super familiar with the lore past the initial cinematics, though, so it could just be that I'm unfamiliar with where her story goes). I really like Biotic Rifle--the idea of rolling attack dice to heal is perfectly in line with her character, and the D20 roll is probably necessary given her range and healing capacity. I do fear that it'll make her a bit too unreliable to be satisfying, though, since there's so much chance involved with when the heal triggers. Another potential route could be to make it a Special Attack that can only target friendly figures, forcing her to sacrifice a whole OM to heal 1 or 2 wounds, which has a decent opportunity cost.

Sleep Dart is another fun ability for her, though I think that the -1 penalty for minimum spaces is a little less interesting with a max cap of only 5. I could see it being relatively the same mechanically if the range is just up to 5 spaces and the D20 roll is always ~17+, and that would simplify the card a good deal.

Bastion
This is by far the least frustrating version of Bastion that I've seen. I think that you've captured Bastion pretty well. Pretty much the only suggestion that I would have is that instead of pure stat changes, I feel like Sentry Mode should be multiple attacks per turn, but increasing the attack can still represent that without getting into frustrating territories.

D.Va
Is Defense Matrix intended to be not engaged or not adjacent? It will rarely matter in practical terms because few figures can target non-adjacent figures with SAs while engaged, but I think that it's worth clarifying.

For D.Va herself, I think that it would be fun to give her a power to get back into the Mech with enough luck. Something like "After taking a turn with D.Va, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 19 or higher..." to revive the mech would encourage taking frantic turns with her to try and get lucky, rather than just letting her sit around and absorb another attack or two after she breaks out of the mech.

Doomfist
This one is right from the tail end of my time with the game, but if I remember correctly, he had a weak shotgun on his knuckles, right? It could be cool to give his normal attack a short range and low attack, but make Rocket Punch boost it considerably if he begins his turn unengaged and is attacking an adjacent figure. Between that power and Meteor Strike, he's already often going to want to end his turns engaged, though, so it might get frustrating for his player when he doesn't kill things on the first attempt.

Overall, nice work on these customs! These take me back to when I used to play Overwatch a lot and make me want to boot up the game again sometime to see all of the heroes that I've missed. If only the days were longer.
Old April 28th, 2021, 01:00 PM

Thank you for all the comments! Yeah, I know these customs aren't the most well made and refined, but I think a lot of these characters have such cool abilities! Some would translate very well into Heroscape, others not so much. I think your changes to everything are honestly great! Especially the Sleep Dart, I think you're right on making it a flat 17+ roll. Bastion could definitely be implemented a multitude of ways and I think giving him a double attack instead of an attack boost would probably work better! Good catch on Defense Matrix. It should be non-adjacent! And I see your point about D.Va. It would make more sense to give her an ability to resummon the mech. I never really thought about it that way, but I think you're right. As is, once she leaves her mech the player would probably never put an order marker on her. And overall I just think Doomfist is a hard one to copy into Heroscape, so again I think you're changes are all valid. I don't know if I will update these sometime soon, heck I hardly have any free time it feels! But if I do I will definitely take these changes into account!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards