Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Notices

Old November 7th, 2011, 12:44 AM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun
Mechanicon Post-Event Thread

What a fantastic weekend - I had a blast and I hope everyone else did too. Too much stuff to mention right now, but I wanted to at least get a few pics posted and let everyone know that there are more at the MechaniCon facebook page. (There's a Heroscape album but there are some other shots throughout the daily albums as well.) Big props to the following:
  • The MechaniCon crew, for hosting us and providing a really stellar experience. Two great big thumbs up!
  • All of the folks that provided prize support, including Rÿchean for NHSD, BoxedUpFun.com, The War Store, The Games Keep, and several very generous folks from the MARS group. Thanks a lot for your support.
  • Tom, in particular, for providing half of our maps for the weekend.
  • Peteparkerh and Spidysox, for getting our tshirts printed - they're awesome.
  • Filthy the Clown, for flying up from Florida to game with us for a few days. I hope it was worth the trip!
  • New faces - we had a number of first-time attendees at this event; it was a pleasure meeting you and I hope to see you guys again.
  • And, of course, all of the folks who regularly come out to play in our events - we've got such an amazing Heroscape scene here with a group of players that I always enjoy hanging out with. Thanks for being there, and I hope you had as great a time as I did.

A few pics of the weekend:
Spoiler Alert!

I'll add full results in the next day or so to this post. If anyone has a pic of the great trophies that Johngee made for us, I'd love to show those as well. Let me know what you'd like to see for next year - we're quite a ways out from that but I'd like to hear any feedback while it's fresh in your mind. Thanks again - more updates soon.

Assassin's Guild
Spoiler Alert!

General Wars
Spoiler Alert!

MARS Throwdown
Spoiler Alert!

Heroes Only
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by mad_wookiee; December 21st, 2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:11 AM

Arcus rolls all skulls baby! Arcus rolls all skulls baby! Arcus rolls all skulls baby! Arcus rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Mechanicon Post-Event Thread

Scott, I just wanted to say thanks once again for putting this all together. The dice gods were not kind to me this weekend, but I had a great time and it was really good to see everyone.

Flithy, you can come up from Florida and join us anytime! It was really cool meeting you and hopefully we can meet up at GenCon 2012.

Congratulations to Spidysox, Northgate, and Tom for taking the lion's share of the prizes this week! Bravo gentlemen, bravo.

Hopefully I we see some of you at Spidysox's event in December, but if not, Happy Holidays to you all.

My Maps
Upcoming M.A.R.S. (Mid-Atlantic Regional 'Scapers - PA/MD/NJ) Events Thread
Old November 7th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

It was definitely worth the trip. Thanks for the hospitality and a fun, fun weekend of scape and other games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcus View Post
The dice gods were not kind to me this weekend
Let's see:
  • Rolled < 4 for 4 Stinger drains in a row
  • 1 skull on a 9-attacking Krug
  • Whiffed twice with Captain America from height
  • 2 consecutive turns of Ice Shard whiffs (it really WAS the fault of the dice [and user error!])
Yep, the dice gods don't like me either.

It was a pleasure meeting all of you, and I am looking forward to hopefully seeing you guys at some future events.PS-The cards were good entertainment on the plane.

Last edited by Filthy the Clown; November 7th, 2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Battle reports
Old November 7th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I had a great time and I know Xanth did as well.

Thanks again to Scott for putting this all together for us!

Johngee, thanks for sharing your room with us. I wouldn't have been able to be there for the whole weekend otherwise.

Had a blast with Tom saturday night playing Survive. Nom, nom, nom, babies!

Thanks to all my opponents for giving me great games, and thanks for those in the later rounds of heroes only for putting up with me. I was a little over emotional after having my %$# handed to me all event.

It was a 7 - 11 weekend for me, with my best finish being 3 - 1 in General Wars. (With the Hive, I might add)

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Mayor of Scape City

peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sounds like I missed a great one. Glad you guys had a great time.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE 2013 "BEAT BY XANTH" CLUB
and Minas Tirith Campaign from Lord of the Rings today.
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

You sure did, Pete, but I'm told you have an excellent excuse, and congratulations to you, sir.

I seem to have misplaced one or two pages with my handwritten notes. I suppose they are gone, but if they are with all the other crap I left there then I look forward to getting them in the mail.

I'd like to hold off on writing my tourney report until I have them, but if they don't come then I'll do the best I can from mad_wookiee's report, when he gets to it.

We had a great time and it was a real pleasure having my butt kicked by a whole new group of 'Scaping fellers.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 8th, 2011, 09:31 AM
PA/MD/NJ Tourney Promoter - Evil!

tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Big thanks to Mad_wookiee for running an absolutely awesome weekend. I spent the entire time hanging out with friends playing one of my favorite games. Can't wait to do it all again next year!
Old November 8th, 2011, 11:28 PM

Shooter McGavin has disabled reputation

We had a great time at our first HS tournament. Thanks to everyone who put this together. You ran an awesome event. We're looking forward to more scaping with you all in the future. It was a blast!
Old November 8th, 2011, 11:52 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Yes it was an absolute-ly awesome weekend... I had a fantastic time and did not do sooo badly either - usually coming in around the middle of the pack. It was great to "hang-out" with all ya'all for three whole days and even to get in a session of another game I enjoy: "Shadows Over Camelot." THANK YOU SCOTT for hosting these events and for all the hard work that went into pulling it all together.

Unfortunately, each of my armies were failrly competitive so I usually went the whole distance time wise and that doesn't provide me the opportunity I need to jot down some notes to prepare a decent After-Action-Report, therefore the 17 games that I played are now just a blur in my quickly fading memory banks. Here are some of the HIGHLIGHTS that I do recall . . .

ASSASSIN'S GUILD 450 PTS- I went with Isamu @ 10 pts. as my Glyph carrying hero, 1x squad of Fyorlag Spiders @ 40 pts., and 4x Wyverns @ 100 pts. each. It was easy Order Marker Management, since they were all on the Spiders more than 90% of the time, because it allowed me to take a turn with any Wyverns without concern for the color coding. My plan was to use them to fly over terrain and other units and go straight after my opponents' heroes in his/her Start Zone. And then they could also seize the Glyph. BUT they usually got bogged down in a defensive battle and could not get near their intended prey, except once I got a wound in on one. Although Isamu could Vanish, as a delaying tactic, he was always eventually caught when the Dice Gods decided enough is enough.

GENERAL WARS @ 400 pts. - I've often witnessed how powerful an army the Dwarves can be (and also ince I'm quite an Hobbit & Tolkien fan), so I chose an all Aquilla Army composed of only Mogrimm Forgehammer @ 120, and 4x squads of Axegrinders @ 280 pts. Although it doesn't have any Range ability, except MF's leader Strike, this is a hard hitting melee force that can get into your opponent's territory quickly when you don't bond with the hero and move SIX hexes. All of my games were exciting, highly contested, see-saw battles that finally ended in narrow victories for one or the other.

MARS THROW DOWN @ 520 pts. - Being basicly too lazy to walk out to my mini-van fully loaded with 'Scape Stuff and come up with a totally different combination of figures (...and also confident that my Dwarf Army might do even better with an additional hero to bond with), I simply added: Migol Ironwill @ 110 and Isamu @ 10 pts. to the army I used during the morning tournament. Again every game went full time and was very challenging and unpredictable, with the final outcome being decided by that last roll of the dice. I won some and lost some and hope that M_W will post ALL of the standings for each event.

HEROES ONLY w/MARVEL allowed @ 550 pts. - Now this format was indeed different than any other tournament I've play in the Mid-Attlantic Region. It forced me to think outside my stereotypical box and try something new. I finally got a chance to try out that amazing Silver Surfer dude @ 320 pts. for the first time and he is a lot of FUN! Like an Apache Cobra helicopter, he could zoom in and hit with 4 Attack dice (5 if you have a height advantage) and ALSO zoom back out with Hyper-Speed to a safer location. OR... Cosmic Blast with 6 Attack Dice if you are confident that he won't take too much damage where he is. I chose to combine him with two Classic 'Scape powerhouses: Kaemon Awa @ 120, and RotV Sgt. Drake @ 110.
- My FIRST GAME was against Arcus - even though both SilverSurfer and the ol' Sarg got Moonstruck, I some how managed to take out Dr. Doom (not as scary as I had feared) and kept hammering away at the two big ugly Werewolves. I WON with only one life remaining on S.S.
- My SECOND GAME was against CivilWar_Dude, who also had a SilverSurfer, but with Jotun as his backup. I absolutely got slaughtered. Intending to only move K.A. and Sgt. D. out of the Start Zone to the nearest high ground and leave them there gave my opponent an opportunity to race his Surfer across the map and attack from an advantageous position taking out both of them... btw: I wiffed on K.A.'s Defense Roll and almost cried. Then it was SS vs SS and he had the high ground, we danced around a bit for three turns, but I had not a single Shield on 21 Defense Dice ( 3 x 7 ) ...OUCH! Zero points for me. I'm glad it was over quickly, because it was not a pretty sight.
- GAME #3 was against the Xanth. His Spiderman, just would NOT DIE. It kept escaping and then web swinging to better positions, so I gave up on killing it and went after the "Q - brothers," but had suffered some serious damage and couldn't survive. It was pitiful to see the huge Number Nine on very high ground Quiglixing down on poor little Isamu, who just couldn't vanish forever.
- GAME #4 was against Mason who came after me relentlessly with Charos, but I refused to give him the satisfaction of a Counter-Strike by using S.S.'s Stealth Flying and Hyper-Speed to attack it with 4 or 5, run-away and hit it again next turn, over and over and over. That dragon (with nine lives) just wouldn't die. It became annoying to hit repeatedly and only get one wound in each time. Finally I gave up and went after his other figures which did not have any Order Markers on them yet, since I knew that they would eventually become a problem if I didn't. Yes I destroyed the Fen Hydra and Krug, while he took out Kaemon and Drake, but I came back to slay the beast and won another one with only one life remaining on the Surfer. A very close battle. I wonder if his parents have been reading him Clauswitz, Jomini, and Sun Tzu at bedtime instead of Dr. Suess and Mother Goose? He is quite a competitive player for his age and stature.

Thanks again everyone for a pleasurable weekend of FUN and games.
Have A Nic eDay; - D
~ John G. Over & Out

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:14 AM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!

Edit: because for some reason my post came out twice.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous

Last edited by spidysox; November 11th, 2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:20 AM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!

This was a great 2 days. Thanks Mad_Wookiee for putting on such a great event. Playing games with friends is always great fun and this was no exception.

I brought to General Wars:
DWK 9000
DWK 8000
Rats x 3
Isamu

I beat Shooter McGavin in the first round before losing to Northgate, Filthy the Clown and Civil War Dude to finish 1-3.

I was pretty disapointed by my performance in day 1, but I lost to the eventual tourny winner (Northgate) and 2 other very good players. All my opponents were a lot of fun to play so overall, despite my poor record it was still a lot of fun.

For the M.A.R.S. throwdown, our defacto "championship event, I brought:
Raelin (RoTV)
Kaemon Awa
Stingers x 5
Marcu

I had arguably my best event to date as I went 5-0 to take the event. I played a lot of good players who all won at least 3 games in the tourny. I played Northgate, Shooter McGavin, Filthy the Clown, Justine and Tom.

Heroes Only
I brought:
Thanos
Spiderman
Isamu
Marcu

I love this format. Heroes are just soooo much fun to play. Coming off of my tourny win I was just looking for a lot of fun win or lose. I had a ton of fun and managed a 4-1 record and the tourny win.
I had wins against Northgate, Filthy the Clown, Mad_Wookiee and Jay. I lost to Tom.
A critical moment in the tourny was against Tom. He had killed my Thanos fairly easily, but on the 2nd or third try he came back. Tom killed spidy, marcu and isamu leaving me with just the Titan. Hulk was down to 1 life and Tom's black wyrmlings were on the move. With Thanos on the verge of death I had a choice to make. I could try and take out the Hulk or kill a wyrmling (who I thought he may have an order marker on). I decided that Hulk was a bigger threat and managed to take him out. The wyrmlings went next and killed Thanos. The choice to kill Hulk was the right one as it gave me the points I needed to break the 4-1 tie with Tom for the tourny win.
Thanos came back in every game he died! Each time with a roll of 20 and it never took more than 3 tries! My d20 was white hot the whole tournament, except oddly enough for spidys spider sense.

All in all I went 10-4 for the weekend and claimed 2 tournament wins. Win or lose it was a great event and was great to see some old friends and meet some new ones.

Grats to Northgate on his 2 wins on the weekend and thanks to all who were there and all of my opponents for the weekend who helped make it so fun.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old November 9th, 2011, 11:23 AM

Northgate knows what's in an order marker Northgate knows what's in an order marker

I agree with all of the above posters, that it was a great few days of events. I though do need to apologize to the HS community, for skipping out on the award ceremonies for the last 2 events. I have a personal issue going on, and it was at the time of the awards ceremony both days that I had to deal with the situation.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events