Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old May 11th, 2007, 08:18 PM
LtBardolph

House Rule: Auction Draft.

Auction Draft

After rolling for the first draft pick, the winner selects any army card and names a price. The price may be higher than, lower than, or equal to the printed cost on the card, but must be at least 5 points. All players may then bid on that army card, with the highest bid drafting the card at the named price. The auctioned unit then becomes the first draft pick, and the draft continues to the high bidder’s left as normal. All other army cards are drafted normally at the printed value. If the auctioned army card is a common card, then all copies of that card sell at the bid price for the entire draft.

If you play often with the Auction Draft rule, you will find "fair" values for cards that are normally considered overpriced/underpriced.

Thoughts?
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I think it's a really clever way to get some rare figs into play at cheap prices and to force popular units to be pricier. Still, the guy who goes first is at a monumental advantage because not only does he get to force the first card to someone, but he also gets the first "normally priced" pick.

Q9 makes for a great example of this - the first player to draft knows that they can either force someone else to take Q9 for a higher price than that listed OR get Q9 for the listed price themselves. Naturally, Q9 is NOT their choice, rather they would likely pick a typically unloved card like Dund or Taelord looking for a bargain on the one hand or the opportunity to force them on someone else at an unacceptable price. Then, if anyone else brings up Q9 you make 'em pay more than the going rate. If no one else does bring up Q9 you get them at the top of round 2.

~Aldin, who still likes the idea quite a bit

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:18 PM
LtBardolph

Hmm, you have a good point. I was actually thinking about a multi player game (4 or more players), and didn't consider the ramifications of using the auction to shove a crappy character onto your opponent.

Another variation would be to have a second roll to determine the draft order after the auction is completed.

Also, I'm not sure if I was clear about how the auction works. Only ONE army card goes up for auction for the entire draft. All other army cards are at normal price. The reason for this is that, after the first card is bought, the buyer has spent points and the market is distorted.
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Grindmaster

allskulls has disabled reputation
I like this idea.

Why not have the auctioned card go to the auctioneer if no one bids? That way he will be forced to be a bit fair. He can chance putting an "overpriced" unit up for cheap, in hopes of getting it at a value, or a "underpriced" unit for a little lower than face value to bait the other players into going "Ebay" crazy.

Another idea is to have each players' first pick go up for auction.
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:55 PM

Glitch has disabled reputation
great idea and i see your point because other wise one player may end up with charos and 2 sets romans or somthing because he would get stuck with'em if you auction all the figs. and i imagine that most figures would be auctioned for a higher price yes/no?
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:30 AM
LtBardolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by allskulls
Why not have the auctioned card go to the auctioneer if no one bids?
Yes, that was my intention. I suppose I didn't state it clearly enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allskulls
Another idea is to have each players' first pick go up for auction.
That wouldn't work, because once the first unit is auctioned, the market will be distorted by the fact that one player has already spent points on a known unit, and won't be able to fully participate in the auction. Also, as Aldin pointed out, it's important that the draft order is unknown during the auction; otherwise tricky players can manipulate that knowledge to their advantage.

Here it is again, revised for clarity:

Auction Draft

Before rolling for the first draft pick, all players roll the 20-sided die. The high roller may then choose any army card and name any price. The price may be higher than, lower than, or equal to the printed cost on the card, but must be at least 5 points. All players may then bid on that army card, with the highest bid drafting the card at the named price. If no one bids, then the auctioneer must purchase the army card at the starting price. If the auctioned army card is a common card, then the high bidder may purchase as many copies of that card as he or she wishes, at the bid price; and if any copies remain, they are returned to the draft pool and may be drafted by any player at the bid price.

After the auction, all players roll the 20-sided die and conduct the rest of the draft as normal, with the high roller drafting first.
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness
It would take a lot longer to run, but it could be to draft entirely by auction, randomly choosing what cards are going to come up.
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:26 PM
LtBardolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarissimus
It would take a lot longer to run, but it could be to draft entirely by auction, randomly choosing what cards are going to come up.
What happens when everyone only has a few points left, and Braxas auctions for 15 pts?
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:27 PM

DoesntCompute has disabled reputation
We did something like this via email once. Everyone had 1000 points (four players). The order of the units up for auction was random and unknown ahead of time. The bids started at 10 points below the value stated on the card. If you won a common, you could get as many of that common as you wanted at that price.

Amazing grace how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me
I once was blind but now I see
Old June 3rd, 2007, 06:33 PM

jenadke has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBardolph
Auction Draft

Before rolling for the first draft pick, all players roll the 20-sided die. The high roller may then choose any army card and name any price. The price may be higher than, lower than, or equal to the printed cost on the card, but must be at least 5 points. All players may then bid on that army card, with the highest bid drafting the card at the named price. If no one bids, then the auctioneer must purchase the army card at the starting price. If the auctioned army card is a common card, then the high bidder may purchase as many copies of that card as he or she wishes, at the bid price; and if any copies remain, they are returned to the draft pool and may be drafted by any player at the bid price.

After the auction, all players roll the 20-sided die and conduct the rest of the draft as normal, with the high roller drafting first.

One massive problem:
On one hand, you need to set point limits or the whole draft thing is useless.

On the other hand, there's nothing stopping one player from drafting nobody, and waiting for the other players to fill up, and then drafting all the remaining heroes for 10 pts each. The other players can't just bid even though they can't afford it, or that'd be unfair.

You'd have to institute some sort of minimum point value, and a bid increment. Min would be half the characters worth, and increment 1/10th of their worth. Still, that doesn't totally fix the above tactics.

You can't add too many rules, or people won't adopt it. It'd make the draft process longer.

I like the selection process another guy uses on the board: Dice are rolled and everyone picks, but then from there the lowest point person picks first. Although this has problems as well.

I'll just stick with the standard ABCCBA method for now.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 07:50 PM
LtBardolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenadke
One massive problem:
On one hand, you need to set point limits or the whole draft thing is useless.

On the other hand, there's nothing stopping one player from drafting nobody, and waiting for the other players to fill up, and then drafting all the remaining heroes for 10 pts each. The other players can't just bid even though they can't afford it, or that'd be unfair.

You'd have to institute some sort of minimum point value, and a bid increment. Min would be half the characters worth, and increment 1/10th of their worth. Still, that doesn't totally fix the above tactics.
You're misunderstanding the whole scenario. Under the Auction Draft, only ONE ARMY CARD gets auctioned, period. Whoever gets it, gets it. All other army cards are drafted AT THEIR PRINTED COST. The rest of the draft runs using the standard ABCCBA draft order, at PRINTED cost.

The only exception to this is if the ONE ARMY CARD is a common unit, in which case the auction winner can purchase as many copies of that card as wanted, at the bid price.

The whole point of this exercise is to find more balanced cost levels for overused or underused units. Since only ONE ARMY CARD per game deviates from the standard price, it becomes a decent way to test whether or not the auctioned unit is more "balanced" at a higher or lower price.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion