Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software
Software Software created for enhancing HeroScape

Old June 24th, 2013, 12:48 AM

Thegodmouse Woo who?
Possible HS video game...

Hello everyone! I am new to heroscapers, but am a long-time heroscape fan.
I have been thinking alot about starting a kickstarter campaign to maybe buy the rights to heroscape or getting special permission from WotC to create a heroscape game (possibly using the virtualscape tile editor for the map engine) And just would really like some criticism and or feedback as to what everyone else in the heroscape community thinks about that.
This is just an idea and think it could be ALOT of fun if done properly.
I will be on tomorrow at around 5-6 PM central time if anyone replies
Old June 24th, 2013, 09:31 AM

Psymanski Woo who?
Re: Possible HS video game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegodmouse View Post
This is just an idea and think it could be ALOT of fun if done properly.
Agreed
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

The best thing Wizards could do would be to have a 3rd party developer come along and ask for rights. They could make an iPad/iPhone app with asynchronous play, and they would get a piece of each sale.

Then, with all the money flowing in from the app, they'd see there's plenty of demand for classic scape (read: F!@# D&DScape) and they'd consider unshelving it.

In my dreams, at least.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:52 AM

Thegodmouse Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
The best thing Wizards could do would be to have a 3rd party developer come along and ask for rights. They could make an iPad/iPhone app with asynchronous play, and they would get a piece of each sale.

Then, with all the money flowing in from the app, they'd see there's plenty of demand for classic scape (read: F!@# D&DScape) and they'd consider unshelving it.

In my dreams, at least.
That's what I was thinking!
Maybe put some android/OUYA support in there and suddenly heroscape becomes more than just a Table-top game a few thousand players have enjoyed. Think of the potential for online matchmaking?
This is all assuming either I could gather team of programmers/coders or get a third party company into it. And that WotC would part with the license or grant special permission to others to allow for it
And that a kickstarter campaign for something like this would go over well... So there's ALOT of variables and things that could go wrong

Also, think how easy custom making would be at that point?
It wouldn't be "custom" anymore because the rights would be in the hand of the players
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Welcome to the site godmouse!

Well, you guys know that you can play Heroscape online against real life opponents? http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=39769

May not be as neat as your idea, but you can still have fun!
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:22 AM

Thegodmouse Woo who?

Thank you!
I had heard about that, and it was actually that which gave me the idea for an actual video game version. I figured since people will play it online by sending images of a static map back and forth with pieces moved, that everyone would definitely play what i had planned
just ALOT of hurdles to overcome before something like this could become a reality
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Can not ignore himself because of typo - Online HS Season 2 Champion

awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
I figured since people will play it online by sending images of a static map back and forth with pieces moved, that everyone would definitely play what i had planned
Whoah! That was the very oldest version of the system. The current online system is completely live, and even has a time-tracking system. Not quite video-game quality, but it's to the point where playing online is (for me) just about as fun and easy as playing on a physical map.

Probably the first thing you would want to do is see if WotC was interested in selling video game rights to a third party at any (reasonable) price. Then you'd need to find an interested third party.

Old June 24th, 2013, 12:06 PM

Thegodmouse Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeunleashed View Post
Quote:
I figured since people will play it online by sending images of a static map back and forth with pieces moved, that everyone would definitely play what i had planned
Whoah! That was the very oldest version of the system. The current online system is completely live, and even has a time-tracking system. Not quite video-game quality, but it's to the point where playing online is (for me) just about as fun and easy as playing on a physical map.

Probably the first thing you would want to do is see if WotC was interested in selling video game rights to a third party at any (reasonable) price. Then you'd need to find an interested third party.
With this news, the heroscape video game seems to be closer yet!
if we (the heroscape community) already have online games that take place live, have a 3d maptile editor, and fully constructed databases with stats, hero cards, and figures, then someone (or group) needs to just assemble the pieces into a cohesive whole, (and add 3d models for the figures)
I would greatly enjoy something that continues the legacy, story, and ingenuity of heroscape, because manufacturing them again isn't a viable option.
*EDIT*
I have been searching the dusty archives of this site since before i posted this thread, and while i understand that some people enjoy the human element that comes with all table-top games, the only option IMO for heroscape to ever pick back up again would be through it's metamorphosis into a video game. It has an Engrossing, Rich, and ORIGINAL storyline that could easily be adapted into a linear sequence of events to progress through. A Kickstarter campaign run by a determined enough group of individuals could fund a purchase for the copyright or permission to produce a video game for heroscape. I am simply coming forth with a new way to bring this awesome idea to life!
It could be a direct copy of the heroscape rules (Die rolls behind the scenes with a *HIT= 1,2,3, etc*, or *MISSED* if no atk die were rolled or *BLOCKED* if the defending figure blocked it) 3D walk-about, Attacking, Blocking, Taking damage, Wounded, or dead graphics, New terrains, New units, New Archkyries (AND TO FINISH AQUILLA). And think about it... If we could get Craig Van Ness and Rob Daviau to either help us out or to at very least impart with us an ending or conclusion to the heroscape storyline so we could once and for all know who ended up winning all the wellsprings and if there are anymore.

Last edited by Thegodmouse; June 24th, 2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Further research into the older threads of this site
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:34 PM

bobinchese knows what's in an order marker bobinchese knows what's in an order marker bobinchese knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeunleashed View Post
Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I love online 'scape. But the problem with it is you have to really know what you're doing and love the game for it to be fun. Not a problem for anyone on this site, but a more traditional video game would give the gift of heroscape to a much broader marker (ie anyone with a dollar to spend on an iPhone app).

So Mister mouse-deity man I say go for it and may the dice gods be with you!

bobinchese is Otonashi...
in the Immortal Cave...
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:27 PM
One time at band camp...

Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death!

Do you have any programming experience or anything? Do you know people who could help develop it? I think those are the biggest hurdles at the moment. Once you get a team that could actually do it, then getting the cash and the rights might be easier if you show them you guys are competent.

This would be really awesome, though, so keep at it!
Old June 25th, 2013, 01:32 AM
C-Wedgie

cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness

If this gets started, I would probably pitch in on Kickstarter.

Though numerous pronunciation attempts have been made, I have recently spurned my moniker. Feel free to refer to me as BowTieJones instead.
Old July 19th, 2013, 11:03 AM

Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby!

If they can port X-Com to the I-pad, I don't see why they couldn't
make a similar playing Heroscape game

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software