Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old March 30th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Battle at the Border III - Army Discussion

Battle at the Border III

This thread is intended to share army ideas for the unusual conditions of the event. For those not familiar there will be a series of scenarios. The army total is 780pts. However you will need to subdivide your army into multiples of 130pts. ie: one map may require 390pts form your pool while another map may require 260, or 520 etc..

Some of the scenarios favor squads, some favor heroes, and some will work well for either type of army build.

Here's an example;

130 pts Greater Ice elemental

260 pts Venoc Warlord, Aubrien Archers, Venoc Vipers, Eldgrim

390 pts 1x Wyvern, Brave Arrow, 2x Mohican River Tribe, Zetacron, Theracus

780 pts total

These are not fixed intervals either. If a map calls for 260pts you are able to draft any 260pts from your 780pts pool of units.
ie: At one 260pts map you can use VW, 2xAA and at the next 260 map play AA, MRT, BA, Theracus, Eldgrim. All depending on what you think will work better for that particular map.

Whats your army?

Last edited by Darkmage7a; March 30th, 2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:00 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: Battle at the Boarder III - Army Discussion

This might be a good place to also include the list of pre-existing figures that will be on some of the maps/scenarios.

Keep in mind, any pre-existing figures on a map/scenario cannot be drafted from your pool (if they are in it), regadless of unit type (unique, common, etc...).

Just something to think about.

Of the scenarios posted so far:
Wo-Sa-Ga
Marro Drones
Marro Drudge
Grok Riders
Kozuke Samurai
Shiori
Tarn Viking Warriors
Kelda
Eldgrim
Zombies
Fen Hydra
Elite Onyx Vipers
Sahuagin Raider
Greenscale Warriors
Charos
(more to come)

We'll make sure that all the figures in the pre-set armies only appear in one scenario or that you'll only play with the same figs in a pre-set army once.

Boston Marathon 4/15/13 3:39:41
Last Race: Naragansett Running Festival 7/21/13 - Half Marathon - 1:50:01
Next Race: KeyBank Vermont Marathon 5/25/14

Last edited by nyys; April 1st, 2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Is that true even if they're only on your opponent's list of pre-existing figures?
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:20 PM
The New York Yankees are the greatest baseball team ever!

Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby!

For my army thus far I'm thinking of running....

Ornak (100)
Marcu (20)
Isamu (10)
2x Greenscales (120)
Orthkurik (140)
Torrin (120 points)
Marro Warriors (50 points)
Guilty (30 points)
Migol (110 points)
Estivaria (80 points)

I'm still working out some kinks, I may switch Migol for Sharwin and add in another hero. I don't think I'm liking the Marro Warriors too much. So, my point totals could run thus...

130 points:
Ornak, Marcu, Isamu
or..
Torrin, Isamu
or..
Migol, Marcu
or...
Estivaria, Marcu, Guilty

260:
2x Greenscales, Orthkurik
or...
Ornak, Torrin, Marcu, Isamu
or...
Ornak, Torrin, Isamu, Guilty
or...
Ornak, Estivaria, Marcu, Isamu, Marro Warriors
or...
Migol, Torrin, Marcu, Isamu

And so on and so forth...

For Meg's army it's something entirely different...and this one I am still working on, since I want something a bit easy to work with, yet fun to play for a relative beginner...

She has:

Laglor (110 points)
Q10 (150 points)
Greater Ice Elemental (130 points)
Kaeman Awa (120 points)
Krav Maga Agents (100 points)
2x Stingers (120 points)
Agent Carr (100 points)
Otonashi (10 points)
Izumi Samurai (60 points)
Eldgrim (30 points)

Her point totals...

130 points:
Ice Elemental
or...
Kaeman Awa, Otonashi
or...
2x Stingers, Otonashi
or...
Agent Carr, Eldgrimm

260 points:
Agent Carr, Laglor, Eldgrim, Otonashi
or...
Laglor, Q10
or...
Greater Ice Elemental, Kaeman Awa, Otonashi
or...
Krav Maga, Agent Carr, Samurai
or...
Krav Maga, 2x Stingers, Otonashi
or...
Agent Carr, 2x Stingers, Otonashi

Etc, etc...

It sucks in terms of Meg's army in terms of point totals and stuff. I'm gunning to try and grab another two packs of the Greenscales, and if I'm lucky hopefully I can find 2 things of dwarfs. That might make things a bit easier to work with...

The cake is a lie.

-Insert Witty Signature Here-
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:26 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Darkmage7a, you spelled the thread title wrong.

One big piece of advice I would give you is to NOT restrict yourself to chunks of 130. Think more broadly than that - the best possible armies for this event probably won't break down that neatly. Just make sure you have enough filler figures that you can get at or near the 130 point increments.

My basic approach would be to sketch out three or four builds that seem like good fits for each scenario, then see if there's a 780 point pool that can encompass several of them.

For the first scenario posted (9 hexes, 390 points, treasure hunt, WSG is a freebie in your army) the first army that comes to mind is:

60 Marrden Nagrubs x2
150 Cyprien
180 Major Q9
390, 9 hexes

The other two scenarios posted allow for more typical 24-hex armies.
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:34 PM

Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post

One big piece of advice I would give you is to NOT restrict yourself to chunks of 130. Think more broadly than that - the best possible armies for this event probably won't break down that neatly. Just make sure you have enough filler figures that you can get at or near the 130 point increments.

My basic approach would be to sketch out three or four builds that seem like good fits for each scenario, then see if there's a 780 point pool that can encompass several of them.

For the first scenario posted (9 hexes, 390 points, treasure hunt, WSG is a freebie in your army) the first army that comes to mind is:

60 Marrden Nagrubs x2
150 Cyprien
180 Major Q9
390, 9 hexes

The other two scenarios posted allow for more typical 24-hex armies.
The biggest problem is we aren't going to be getting all of the details on all of the scenarios. Some of them we're only getting bits and pieces of information, and others we're getting no information at all.

The cake is a lie.

Old March 30th, 2010, 03:48 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

130:
120 Stingers x 2
10 Isamu

180 Major Q9
80 Raelin

180 Major Q9
80 Raelin
120 Stingers x 2
10 Isamu

180 Major Q9
80 Raelin
180 Stingers x 3
80 Rats x 2

Total Figures
180 Major Q9
80 Raelin
180 Stingers x 3
80 Rats x 2
10 Isamu
240 Hydra x 2
10 Otonashi

The basic Q9/Raelin/Stinger army can take care of most opponents. If you expect to run into an army that is tough for your base army (i.e. Heavy Gruts), replace figures with the Hydra's. I'd be very tempted to replace the Rats with Kelda. I'm not familiar with the format, but I would think that this would work.
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:50 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombo101 View Post
The biggest problem is we aren't going to be getting all of the details on all of the scenarios. Some of them we're only getting bits and pieces of information, and others we're getting no information at all.
OK, but all this means is that you can't make a hyperspecific build for each scenario. With a 780 point pool, that's probably not possible anyway. Just make sure you have a reasonably versatile build, or three, at each point level.

We had a 750 point draft scenario tournament in Colorado, where the point levels were 380, 450, 520, and 590. There were some heat of battle scenarios in the mix.

My main options were:

380: TKN, Grubsx3, Marro Warriors, Marcu OR Q9, Warriors of Ashrax2, Raelin, Marcu
450: TKN, Grubsx3, Marro Warriors, Raelin, Isamu OR Q9, Warriors of Ashrax2, Raelin, Marro Warriors, Marcu, Isamu (10 points light)
520: TKN, Grubsx3, Q9, Marcu, Isamu OR TKN, Grubsx3, Raelin, Warriors of Ashrax2, Marcu, Isamu
590: TKN, Grubsx3, Q9, Raelin, Marcu OR TKN, Grubsx3, Raelin, Warriors of Ashrax2, Marro Warriors, Marcu, Isamu (20 points light)

The flexibility was invaluable, but note that I didn't have any figure that cost exactly 70 points (the increment between point levels). I just had various filler options (100 points of WoA, 80 point Raelin, 50 point Marro Warriors, 20 point Marcu, 10 point Isamu) to go with my two big hitters.
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Oops, sorry everyone. Thanks Dok
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
The flexibility was invaluable, but note that I didn't have any figure that cost exactly 70 points (the increment between point levels). I just had various filler options (100 points of WoA, 80 point Raelin, 50 point Marro Warriors, 20 point Marcu, 10 point Isamu) to go with my two big hitters.
Yeah, I'm trying to do my best to do the same thing (hence my potential builds that I posted previously). The only thing which sucks is trying to make TWO competitive 780 point builds with what I have available (one for me, and one for my girlfriend). Luckily, I have friends who'll let me borrow pieces if push comes to shove.

The cake is a lie.

Old March 30th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Is The Skullmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Is that true even if they're only on your opponent's list of pre-existing figures?
Neither player can use the figs in the scenario Ollie. This is to prevent a lot of issues with figs disappearing/ shuffling around by the end of the day. Some of the scenario figs will be part of your army others may simply be a prop on the board.
I think there is one scenario that has figs which you can also draft right now the statues scenario by Bengi, mostly becuase he has a play to paint the figs like stone I think.

But even if something can't be drafted for one particular scenario you can still play it on all the other scenarios. I wouldn't worry too much about it. There should be around 10-12 scenarios by the time we're done.
Old March 30th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmage7a View Post
But even if something can't be drafted for one particular scenario you can still play it on all the other scenarios. I wouldn't worry too much about it. There should be around 10-12 scenarios by the time we're done.
I'm worried about it in the other direction---what if there is a scenario for which I can't field most of my units and maybe have to be well under thea allowed total? Unlikely I guess, it just seemed worth clearing up.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion