Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Old July 29th, 2009, 01:33 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Wii Sports Resort

Has anyone else picked this up yet? I bought it last Sunday when it first came out (along with a new sensor bar - vacuuming accident.) It is really a nice collection of mini games that do a good job showing off the potential of the new Wii Motion Plus.

There are 12 categories of games, and all of the categories have two or three individual games.

So far my favorites are the swordplay games and ping pong. What I find interesting is that ping pong seems to hold controller calibration better than EA Sport's Grand Slam Tennis. I realize that in tennis you swing the controller much faster and harder than in ping pong, but I'm curious if that is the difference or not. But the ping pong controls are amazing. Top spins, side spins, lobs, and smashes all work exactly as you would expect them to work; Very intuitive.

In swordplay games you must recalibrate (center) the controller each round, but this is not an issue to me. You simply point the controller at a point on the TV and click the "A" button. The accuracy is very high here, and I can imagine a true fencing game that allows for parries and lunges.

Another fun activity is flying a plane around the island. You simply hold the controller as if it were an airplane and climb, dive, and turn by moving the controller in the appropriate direction. It reminds me of when I was a kid and I would fly model planes around the house. You have to actually try this to understand how cool it is. You can even do barrel rolls and loops. I'd love to see this implemented into a combat flight sim. Or a superhero kind of game where you fly through the air.

Bowling returns, as does golf. In bowling you have the option of playing with 100 pins. Golf is pretty good, but it is no match for Tiger Woods.

Basketball is HARD. You really need the right "touch" to sink the basket.

Archery is fun and does a good job of creating the sense that you are actually drawing a bow, and releasing the arrow. This is another function that would be really great in a more serious game, such as a bow hunting or combat game. I kind imagine an amazing version of a LOTR game that combines sword and bow combat. Even knife fights would work great with the motion plus. Or the nunchuck could control a shield while the Wii-mote controls the sword.

Anyway, in my opinion this is a must-buy for all Wii owners. And you probably want to have two motion plus controllers so you can sword fight with someone else

Now, I can only hope that developers will see the amazing potential of the motion plus and will begin to design games specifically for the Wii that make use of it rather than simply port games to the Wii and try to cram the motion-plus controls into the game.
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Shade Tree

Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Wii Sports Resort

Yep, I got it, plus an additional WM+. I'm alreaady up to Pro in all of the swordplay events, Ping-pong (both events), and Pick-up games (basketball). I don't really find basketball hard, it's a cinch for me to make baskets (both 2s and 3s), and slam dunks are just too natural for any difference to be noted. Ping-pong is amazing though; realistic, and fun. My only problem is that the paddle sometimes gets stuck in backhand while I play. I'm addicted to the swordplay games: I'm almost to 2500 in dueling, and at 1700-something in speed slice. They just make it seem as if you're swinging a real sword. Archery is also the most realistic archery mimickry I've seen, let alone used; I hope they do more with it in the future.

This game is great, and really shows what the WM+ can do. I really do hope that there are some qality games made for this in the future.

Also, an additional note on the WM+: If you're too lazy to take it off, you can just leave it on for other games. It doesn't affect it at all if it's not compatible. I find that rather convenient.

Sup3rS0n1c = Alexander the Great (August Cave) = Siege (Floating Archipelago)
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

That's not going to happen simply because the vast majority of games are hindered, not helped, by motion controls.

That's not to say they don't have their use, but motion controls simply hinder many games because its less precise and more complicated to do a motion than to press a button.

However I do love my boom blox and mario cart. Motion controls should not be used for every game developers. Only if it helps the game. Forcing them in just frustrates everyone.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:24 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
That's not going to happen simply because the vast majority of games are hindered, not helped, by motion controls.

That's not to say they don't have their use, but motion controls simply hinder many games because its less precise and more complicated to do a motion than to press a button.

However I do love my boom blox and mario cart. Motion controls should not be used for every game developers. Only if it helps the game. Forcing them in just frustrates everyone.
But motion controls do not hinder a game designed for motion controls. This game, as well as the ones you mentioned prove that.

The WM+ opens a new world of possibilties for games designed specifically for the Wii. I realize that most game designers like to do multi-platform games, but I think that a game company who was willing to take full advantage of the wm+ capabilities could do quite well with the right subject matter. Sports Resort is just a small taste of what hopefully will be coming soon. But time will tell if any game designers are willing to take that risk.
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Many games, even made for the Wii only, have motion controls for no reason. I love da Blob, but I hate jumping (an intergral part of the game) because I have to swing the silly thing around which annoying since I have to make precise jumps often.

Games can be made to fully take advantage of the controls. However most don't and even more are limited by the extremely weak Gamecube 2.0 processor. When done correctly, it's amazing. I just wish more would bother to do it correctly.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:49 PM

The Walrus King is surprisingly tart

I got it yesterday for my birthday.

So far i've played all 3 sword games, skydiving, island flyover, canoeing, golf, frisbee, and like half a hole of frisbee golf.

Sword games- FUN... the one where you fight through the hordes of ppl is fun, especially when they surround you and you unleash a wide swing. They all die KILLTROCITY... The biggest complaint with it is that as i swing the wiimote it seems to get more and more out of synch. i do a lot of re-synching during the waves.

Frisbee is fun. Not as good as the real thing tho

Canoeing is okay. I prob need more practice... but personally, i think real canoeing is easier

Golf- I need practice. Keep shooting off in odd directions. WM+ is reeeeally sensitive

Skydiving- GREAT IDEA. Better than i thought it could be. I loved the opening sequence with skydiving out the plane.

Island Flyover- BEST GAME I'VE PLAYED SO FAR. I love flying around the island. I like the "stall" feature by pressing B. Night is beastly to play in. I got like 62/80 Info spots in less than 24 hours. BEST FEATURE- Barrel roll! I can imagine Peppy Hare telling you "Do a Barrel Roll! Press A to shoot!".

Lastly, i like the "stamp" feature. Great idea. Though not as comprehensive as SSBB and the Xbox 360 Achivement system, it's a good addition. Some are too predictable though ("Get a Birdie on any hole in Golf", "Visit all the Info spots in Island Flyover")

One minor complaint- only came with 1 WM+. Need 2+ to do all the games (Dogfight, etc need 2 to play)

Will post rating after i've played the game more- great game though. Nintendo's done it again!

LOSE THE GAME
RULE 1: You are playing the game.
RULE 2: Whenever you think about the game, you lose.
RULE 3: Loss must be announced.

Congrats. You just lost game.
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:52 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Okay, I think this will be the next Wii game I pick up. I'm slowly working through Metroid: Corruption (a fine example of a game that really didn't need any motion control silliness).

I was going to pick up No More Heroes next, but maybe I'll get this instead...

Old July 30th, 2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
When done correctly, it's amazing. I just wish more would bother to do it correctly.
Exactly what I am saying and hoping for.

Currently there are several games that have done motion control correctly and are amazing:

Tiger Woods w/wm+
Grand Slam Tennis w/wm+
Boom Blox
World of Goo
Wii Sports
And now Wii Sports Resort w/wm+

I would also include EA Sports Active.

All of these are great games that really capture the feel of the real thing, despite the "weak Gamecube 2.0 processor."
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Dr Feelgood

Why would world of goo need motion controls? It just needs a pointer correct?

However, the problem is that of all the games you listed, 4 are sports games, and the other 2 are puzzle games. Sports Active is cool, but not really a game in any real sense of the word.

Some others, like Galaxy, which I want to play but haven't got a chance to yet probably have "motion" controls like Metroid or Zelda, IE, snapping my wrist which is nowhere as smooth or reliable as a simple button push.

I would, however, love to see a lightsaber game based on the WM+ technology where it actually uses your motions only.

Old July 30th, 2009, 08:50 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

This thing has FRISBEE GOLF?!??!?!!1111!?!?!1one!!1

I might have to go and get this today - right after work.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old August 8th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Shooters like The Conduit or the watered down (but still enjoyable) port of COD5 have good controls. RE4: Wii Edition is AMAZING with motion control aiming. Still though, the Conduit forces you to either use the Nunchuck or Remote for melee and grenades, which is annoying and gimmicky. Sometimes I'll reach to scratch my nose and accidentally throw a grenade.

Back on topic, am I the only one that likes the Cycling game?

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old August 8th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
Shooters like The Conduit or the watered down (but still enjoyable) port of COD5 have good controls. RE4: Wii Edition is AMAZING with motion control aiming. Still though, the Conduit forces you to either use the Nunchuck or Remote for melee and grenades, which is annoying and gimmicky. Sometimes I'll reach to scratch my nose and accidentally throw a grenade.

Back on topic, am I the only one that likes the Cycling game?
I think the cycling game is pretty good as well. Sure, you are pumping your arms instead of your feet, but I like the way the game forces you to conserve your energy and take advantage of drafting, so it's not just a "waggle-fest."

I continue to read the many reviews about this release. What I find most interesting is how so many people think that the sword play duels are just random shakings of the controller. Anyone who has taken time to really play the duels will know that this is not true. There is a great deal of strategy and skill involved in this game as you must anticipate your opponents strikes and blocks and react quickly when there is a brief opening. Even though I've worked my way up to pro (the 1400's so far), my youngest son will beat me almost every time.

Actually, my least favorite right now is the Wave Runner game, but I haven't played it that much yet. I am finding that the longer I play each of the games, the more I enjoy them. That's always a good thing.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games