Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

View Poll Results: Which Master Set do you like the best?
Rise of the Valkyrie (1st one) 564 89.52%
Swarm of the Marro (2nd one) 66 10.48%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:16 PM

MrBarkypants Woo who?
I for one want to vote for NOT having commons in the master set. I don't care much about terrain, so I look at it as costing me $40 to buy 2 squads of stingers, nagrubs and drudge.

As I reread this I see that I would have spent $36 buying the second 3rd and fourth set of squads seperately. Although I really only want 3 squads of each.

Therefore.....

If common squads are included in the master set, I would like to see the commmons available as expansion packs released at the same time the master set goes out.

I'm Mr. Barkypants, and I'm a mix of ol schoo and new schoo....
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:16 PM
Has Bigger Cockles

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Some good points there, Dryden, though I'd be annoyed to have to buy three Master sets to get three sets of a particular common. Hopefully if they did things this way, the commons would be a bit higher in the point range and work well with 2/3, instead of really requiring 3 to shine and more than that to work really well (I'd hate to see Drones, Venocs, Deathreavers, etc. types of units packaged in sets of one in a Master set).

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:23 PM

Dryden has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler
Duplicate Common squads were NEEDED in SotM because of the mechanics of the Hive. They wanted to put out a set that did not REQUIRE new players to buy a new MS. Therefore they had to include commons and duplicates at that.

I would have been very turned off if the first master set used the common squad as a incentive to buy an additional master set. Buying additional master sets should be because of terrain or LOS blockers, not because of commons.

I imagine potential new customers would be turned off by a need to buy additional MS by having only one common. But if you include two commons squads in a MS, you loose too much variety.

Keep commons out of MS.
But if you only have one, what difference does it make whether its common or unique? It would have no bearing on a new player, either. Just because its common doesn't mean you have to have two, you can still use only one if all you purchase is just one master set. It is a nice carrot to entice a buyer to purchase a second, and it's a good reward for those that purchase three or four or more.

For those arguing the cost, consider this: If there were six common squads in the master set, that's the equivilent of three common boosters in a wave (two squads per booster). Either way ... that's $40. In the master set, you'd be getting all the terrain for free when you buy those second and third common sets.

Besides ... You'd buy it anyway, and you all know it! :P
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!
I think Riggler does have a good point about the Hive though. It's a lot less useful when all someone would have to do is kill 3 guys and negate the effectiveness of your Hive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:29 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Quote:
Originally Posted by caravaggio
ps... i notice that a lot of you like to see common squads in mastersets and want to see a poll to this effect. i would guess that a poll on this site would skew towards those wanting mulitple commons. but people, we are the converted. we dont need to be enticed to buy more heroscape. we will buy just about anything they make. the master set needs to entice new recruits and if you think back to what it was about the original masterset that got you to pick it up it was the VARIETY!!!! then you went BACK for the TERRAIN!!! right?
Let me answer your question with this - imagine if RotV had included 2 squads of Zettian Guards and Tarn Viking Warriors as commons... hmm?
It would be sad if the inclusion of those units kept me from ever experiencing the joy of the airborne elite and the izumi samurai. Heck, if the samurai weren't in the master set I would have never gotten into heroscape in the first place.

VARIETY!
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:30 PM

Dryden has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik
I think Riggler does have a good point about the Hive though. It's a lot less useful when all someone would have to do is kill 3 guys and negate the effectiveness of your Hive.
And what if someone kills two of your Krav or a couple of your Tarn in RotV.

If you only have one of the squad, it makes no difference whether its common or unique. They're functionally indentical to a newbie.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:34 PM

MrBarkypants Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman
...most of us are so addicted to this "plastic crack" that we'd buy Craig's driveway gravel if it came with an official card.
That is both very funny and very sad....

:banana:

I'm Mr. Barkypants, and I'm a mix of ol schoo and new schoo....
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik
And what if someone kills two of your Krav or a couple of your Tarn in RotV.

If you only have one of the squad, it makes no difference whether its common or unique. They're functionally indentical to a newbie.
I'm definitely with you on the one of each common or even a completely Unique MS, I think that's for the best, because it allows for so much variety. That's why RotV is more popular than SotM. See my earlier post with flashy valkyrie symbols and suggested units.

I'm just saying that the way the Marro Hive works, it almost requires 2x commons to be effective, and the rules specifically call for commons. It also ended up making for a very boring MS for those who don't want more Marro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:39 PM

bad_calvin is surprisingly tart
I was giving this more thought.

To be honest I would not really care what miniatures they put in it, as long as their are two balanced armies I am good.

The terrain is what I am more concerned about. I would like a variety of terrain. A much as they can fit into it.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Has Bigger Cockles

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Oh, I think that, regardless, we can all agree that variety in both figures and terrain is key. I think that's the number one thing that's been mentioned here.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:51 PM

Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby!
I like having common figures in SOTM, in fact that may be the only thing I liked about it, 2 sets are perfect for those wanting to get introduced to the game, and having a few squads and heroes form different generals will please everyone as long as the terrain is diverse.

DWARVES!
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:03 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!
LOS blockers, lots of 'em.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion