Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

View Poll Results: Which Master Set do you like the best?
Rise of the Valkyrie (1st one) 564 89.52%
Swarm of the Marro (2nd one) 66 10.48%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 30th, 2008, 12:31 AM

Minnion has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz
I like the idea of both commons and uniques in a MS. I didn't care for the SOTM ms just because there is already a lot od morrow and alot of utgar however i would like to see a ms for Aquilla just to get them up to speed. Other then that I would like to see something more like ROTV for a ms.
Even if all the squads in an MS are commons perhaps not have three different kinds of commons with two of each....

Main points
Diverse group of unique heroes that represent a varity of timelines, something like:
1 Big King kong style gorilla hero from Marr
1 1920s Mob boss
1 Elven swordsman(Previous two mastersets had a master archer and an Archmage so why not?)
1 Cilval War Era Solder hero
1 Kyre
1 mounted samurai Warrior(People wanted mounted samurai and this fills out the second large hero nicely
1 Orc Shaman with a vengeful spirit power(Think like the warriors spirit powers but instead of beefing up your uniques it weakens a stat on your opponents uniques)

Unique squads
1 Squad of Maridian Lizard people(This would be great as it would give us actual Meridians and fill in that "Ok Valgards arm came from the same race that created soulborgs on Alpha Prime")
1 Zetian Scouts: Two unit Squad, give it movement bonding that would let you take a free move with any two unique soulborg figures that follow Utgar(Thus giving the deathwalkers something to bond with as well as the corresponding Zetian Guards)

Common Squads:
2 squads of scorpions for Aquila
1 Squad of pirates
1 squad of Ninjas

Glyphs
1 Fog glyph that cripples line of sight
2 Volcaran Glyphs(Might have spelled it wrong but these glyphs have the same rules as Lava when landed on and would make an excelent trap glyph)
2 Negation trap glyphs(Negates the specail powers of the figure to land on it if unique, destroys it if common)
1 attack bonus glyph
1 defense bonus Glyph
1 Luckey dice Glyph
1 move bonus glyph
1 wind glyph
2 and of course the two artifact glyphs

Los Blockers

1-2 trees or small ruins if trees have a bush to go with them...

"We are all mad here" ~Cheshire Cat

It is the domain of a geek to seek out meaning in that which seems trivial...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doWOd...elated&search=
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:39 AM

tyguy94920 is surprisingly tart
I don't mind commons, just make them only commons and don't mix commons and uniques. This way when you buy more MS's for Terrain you don't get extra figures.

And make the figures more diverse than SotM

Click Above for My Sig Link
Old January 31st, 2008, 10:08 AM

idgit has disabled reputation
My interest in heroscape was the first master set because it had alot of terrain, and it had ruins which are very cool, but the appeal of the game for me was that it embodied fantasy, science-fiction, and history in one box.

I dont understand the arguements for the common/unique squads, i have 24 knights, 24 greeks, and 20 romans, for people who dabble in history, large scale wars is what you are going to get, bring your unique figure so i can make them martyrs, they need more commons like greek archers, and weston archers, i even think the vipers, and minions need archers.

But more uniques are ok too, i would like to see romans, greeks, weston knights, and samurai on mounts.

But as for other common groups...NINJA, and more NINJA of all colors, and different types of native american like the souj, or apache, but i would want some savage indians with war paint as well.

And something else that could be done as a smart move could be to create figures such as nature (elemental) spirits, you can have them for all terrain types, rock, sand, water, swamp water, fire/lava, snow, ice, and maybe even air, but figures like these would create more demand for the snow, and lava sets.
Old January 31st, 2008, 10:38 AM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by idgit
I dont understand the arguements for the common/unique squads, i have 24 knights, 24 greeks, and 20 romans,
The unique vs. common debate is about the squads that come in the two master sets, not about the ones that come in the booster packs. Trust me, we all know the value of multiple common squads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Did you lose your saving throw vs. Fabulous?
B.U.D.
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:49 PM

Kuprin has disabled reputation
Lots of terrain. Having a "cheap source of bulk terrain" expansion would make me very happy, and more likely to buy direct rather than dig around in the secondary market.

Games are in my blood, and in my mind. It's just what I do.
Old January 31st, 2008, 05:06 PM

Minnion has disabled reputation
Since this is wizards of the cost we could have such a thing as an unhinged addition master set, which comes with units and heros that are just too "Far out" or are "In jokes" within the staff and community.

Figure ideas:

Craig: The Creator of HS himself as a little plastic guy, could possibly be the most powerful figure in the game and the first one to reach or exceed 500 points for a single figure.

Penguins with Machine guns: No unhinged version of heroscape would be complete without it.

Hippys: Far too peace lovering to fight, they would have 0 attack and perhaps the same smoke powder as the Nikita agents.

A Gingerbread man: Fastest unit in the game, dies if he moves onto any water space though.

Large goldfish hero: Can swim but takes damage if not on a normal water space.

Anything else the creators can think of that would make no sense in classic or any other licensed HS.

Introduces Barbie pink terrain tiles, as well as giant lolly pop and candy cane Line of sight blockers.

Glyphs: These glyphs are for the purpose of getting players to do ridiculous things while playing. Ranging from singing the alphabet song before rolling the dice to moving figures while petting your opponents head..

"We are all mad here" ~Cheshire Cat

It is the domain of a geek to seek out meaning in that which seems trivial...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doWOd...elated&search=
Old January 31st, 2008, 05:18 PM

Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnion
Since this is wizards of the cost we could have such a thing as an unhinged addition master set, which comes with units and heros that are just too "Far out" or are "In jokes" within the staff and community.

Figure ideas:

Craig: The Creator of HS himself as a little plastic guy, could possibly be the most powerful figure in the game and the first one to reach or exceed 500 points for a single figure.

Penguins with Machine guns: No unhinged version of heroscape would be complete without it.

Hippys: Far too peace lovering to fight, they would have 0 attack and perhaps the same smoke powder as the Nikita agents.

A Gingerbread man: Fastest unit in the game, dies if he moves onto any water space though.

Large goldfish hero: Can swim but takes damage if not on a normal water space.

Anything else the creators can think of that would make no sense in classic or any other licensed HS.

Introduces Barbie pink terrain tiles, as well as giant lolly pop and candy cane Line of sight blockers.

Glyphs: These glyphs are for the purpose of getting players to do ridiculous things while playing. Ranging from singing the alphabet song before rolling the dice to moving figures while petting your opponents head..
Makes me think of the possibility of a Calvinball HS scenario.

"If you are attacked in a Sing Zone, you must sing the Very Sorry Song."

"If a rule is declared, it must be obeyed."

"No female characters allowed."

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons, even death may die.

Heroes of StarWars 'Scape / North Carolina 'Scapers
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:40 PM

KevinWC Woo who?
I voted with the majority choosing RoTV as my favorite master set. I thoroughly enjoyed the theme, adventure, and new terrain of SoTM, but I thought it was not exactly right to call it a master set when it had so little variety. My solution is this.

A new master set should be moddled after the RoTV with a few modifications drawn from the strengths of SoTM (ie: common figures).
This master set should have some staying power (no new master set for a while).

Basically the terrain follows the RoTV pattern with mostly grass and rock. I think it would be appropriate to have at least one 24 hex sand piece and more water than the previous set. If extra room was present a 24 hex snow tile would be cool as well as some road. New line of site blockers are a must and could be something like fallen columns or a destroyed gateway.

As for figures I would like to see at least two sets of two common squads (There was a post, I think on page 3, about making them "uncommon" so that a limit of 2 or three could be drafted. This is a good idea if the designers wanted to keep the "all unique" element of the original master set) A single unique squad would also be a good add so that there was a definite distinction between the commons and the "chosen" squads. The remaining figure slots should be filled with heroes. I think at least 3 double hex figures should be in the game and I think additional common heroes would be an excellent add on.

A new color for order markers (Purple/Gold or Red/Black would be great as well as an updated rule book with cool new scenarios and more story elements.

I have read that small gaming stores won't be able to carry master sets because there is no way to make money off of them. Without the essentials a master set provides (ie: dice, markers, rules) new players will have a difficult time getting into the game. There are two ways I think this can be solved.

1) Make a "starter set" featuring rules, dice, order markers and a few unique heroes and squads that can be purchased by a new player. The player can then buy one of the new terrain packs that WoTC are planning to create for the small game stores (ie: desert and jungle tree are the ones I have heard of).

2) Instead of the terrain expansions a number of "campaign sets" could be produced. They would be about the size of a heroscape marvel box and would contain themed terrain and figures similar. It would be like swarm of the marrow in a smaller box. It would also come with dice, rules, markers and scenarios.

Sorry for the length of the post, I just had a lot of ideas to get out there. Thanks for listening. I am looking foward to what happens.

eddit: Sorry, one thing I forgot to add was that I would like to see the units in the master set fill the games that heroscape has left us with (ie: Ullar/Vydar kyrie squads and heroes, raptorians, dreadgulls, Ulrick, etc)
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:55 PM

knuds64 has disabled reputation
I liked the original. The swamp master set would have been better if the rules engaged us to enjoy using the swamp pieces more. Like 2 movement pints to travel throught swamp. And rolling 20d to see if your figure gets stuck in the swamp and can not continue it's move. Hasbro didn't think things through before they put it on the market.

What I would like to see in future master sets...
- multipal pieces for water
- maybe river pieces (like rapids)
- lake terrain (deep water)
- how about a "well-spring"
- has anyone thought of the Generals for new figures. Make them 400 points each and each general has one great special ability (and not attack), that makes them very difficult to destroy.

Later,
Knuds64
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun
Okay so I have to agree on the fact that more common heroes and squads in a Master set would be nice to have since many people end up with sooooooo many master sets. Even if Mimring looks cool, how many do you really need?

I think terrain wise each master set should come with a new type of terrain for sure. Swamp was a good idea in theory, it just got overkilled by the plethora of Marro. If there was a Ullar swamp monster and other things that beyond the Marro in the set that might have made things better. Personally I'd be all for sand and rock formations, non ruin buildings (townhouse, barn, hording, etc), statues, trees, plants, etc.

I also think this topic is one that continually needs to be updated and asked every year.

R~

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:24 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but I truly hope we do not see a new master set every year. The thought of a new master set coming out "later this year" just seems way too soon to me. Although if I can pick it up on Amazon for $12 again, I guess I won't complain.

Or perhaps they meant that they would simply begin the preliminary plans for a new master set later this year. That makes more sense.
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:11 PM

Sci-fi Messiah has disabled reputation
I only have one thing to say (and I'm sure it's a repeat of someone's post in the last 15 pages, but I'm honestly too lazy to read them all), more units that aren't Jandar and Utgar. Not to say it shouldn't include any, just one of each so they know how the other Generals feel.

I picked RotV, maybe it just carries that bit of nostalgia. I just remember the superb blend of Samurai, Agents, Soldiers, Vikings, Dragons, Robots, and a T-Rex(with an Orc Rider). It seemed so crazy that it had to be awesome. Of course, I say nothing ill of SotM, I just like the first one better. I think variety, but keeping an overall "theme" is the point here. I suppose I lied when I said "I only have one thing to say", but I get carried away sometimes.

"Thought he, life is wicked in all meridians. I'll die a pagan."

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion