Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old November 29th, 2009, 09:14 PM

Khenemutankh is surprisingly tart
Khenemutankh's Custom Obstacles

Hello all,

Let me start by saying that these little creations of mine will in no way compete with the amazing custom terrain and obstacles that many of you here make. Unfortunately, I am not really in a position to spend money on the materials needed to make the higher quality pieces, so I decided to make do with what I have. That is, as it says in the title, duct tape and card board.

Here are my creations:

This is the first piece I made. I needed some more LOS blockage (all I have is the 2 ruins from RotV) and it seemed like a good idea to make a fortress type structure.

And from the inside...

Note: For structural stability, this piece does include a few skewer sticks. I cheated.

The next piece is actually entirely duct tape and card board. It's a bridge, because I needed one.

To illustrate my arch!

And finally, to illustrate my poorly painted hexes.

That's it for now. I've got a few other things in the works, like some duct tape grass and some more wall-like objects... I'll upload pictures if they turn out half way decent.

I'm always open to advice and tips. Especially painting tips... the only tutorials I could find included dry brushing, and these things are mostly flat sides so that doesn't help a whole lot.

Note: I know my "cobble stone" effect is terrible... I'm trying to improve my painting ability.

Today I went to the dollar tree. I love that store. I picked up two LED flickering tealights, as well as some red ribbon shreds. I was going to try to make it in to a campfire type feature, but the candles are a bit too tall (probably a height of 4 before the flame.)

I also picked up about 15 feet of this wreath/christmas tree type stuff. It's the green stuff that's on the wire, looks like grass a bit. I cut it up and attached it to hex bases (made of card board and duct tape) and tada, I had some trees.

They're messier than I wanted... but I think they look alright. I also looked at the christmas mini town trees and bushes, but they seemed too sparse to me (the branches and stuff weren't close enough together.)

Pictures:

I love these because it took maybe 10 minutes to make all three. Definitely a quick and easy (and cheap... 15 feet of this stuff for a dollar) solution for those of us that don't have any trees.

I bought some florist's foam and an x-acto. This is what ensued.

Random rock-like LOS blockers!

Here you see all three. They are detached from eachother but sit nicely together. I notice a bit of the green showing through on the pictures, thanks to the flash. And the dry brushing on the far one seems to have failed to an epic extent, the dark charcoal color making it look more like the foam you find in a tool case or something. The middle one is an LED flickering tealight thing, bought two of them in a pack for a dollar at the dollar tree and wanted to incorporate them in to something. Hot glued in after carving the foam.

And to set the mood...

I just might have to change the name of this thread!

Thanks,

-Khen

Last edited by Khenemutankh; December 8th, 2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Khenemutankh's Cardboard And Duct Tape Customs

Images...tooo....hi-res.....browser...dieing......

Not too bad though for cardboard and duct tape. In the future, I would suggest painting over the whole of the duct tape. Like, just take a good shade of something and just cover the whole thing in that color.

Last edited by Warlord Alpha; December 7th, 2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: The images aren't as high-res anymore, anyone reading this post can disregard that first line.
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:18 PM

bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Not a bad start! These are instantly awesome because they are made of Duct Tape .

If you wanted to just use cardboard and duct tape as a base and then detail it with other stuff, you could do a lot more cool stuff. I can see wires going around the skewers on the fortress as a fence.

Could you make the pics a bit smaller, though? 800 pixels wide is fine.

MSE: Easy Heroscape Card Creation
V2.5 Expanded Glyphs
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
Images...tooo....hi-res.....browser...dieing......
I think my computer just lost 20 hours of its life right there.
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:26 PM

The Walrus King is surprisingly tart

Duct Tape is like The Force- it has a light side and a dark side and holds the universe together!

But seriously- good job man! I like seeing terrain being made in new ingenious ways. I think the first fortress-thingy. The skewers work nicely for an added effect. To me, it looks like some steel-reinforced concrete columns that broke. Very nice

LOSE THE GAME
RULE 1: You are playing the game.
RULE 2: Whenever you think about the game, you lose.
RULE 3: Loss must be announced.

Congrats. You just lost game.
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:38 PM

Sorry about the resolution, and thanks for the kind comments.

I actually do paint these entirely. The bridge looks a little duct tapey because the grey that I chose was very close to the duct tape's original color.

I cover them in a base coat of black acrylic, then a coat of elmer's glue (I feel like it adds some rigidity and keeps the duct tape from peeling off), then I spray paint it a uniform color followed by another coat of paint. May be a bit redundant, but I'll refine the process as I learn.

-Khen.
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenemutankh View Post
No problem, we're just messing with you. You'll find that many of us here like to joke around a tad bit too much.

As for the customs, that fortress is amazing. The re-bar sticking out of the top really adds to the realism.
Old November 29th, 2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Migraine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenemutankh View Post
No problem, we're just messing with you. You'll find that many of us here like to joke around a tad bit too much.

As for the customs, that fortress is amazing. The re-bar sticking out of the top really adds to the realism.
Apparently whoever negative repped me wasn't joking.

I'll be sure to take care of the resolution issue when I get the chance.

Thanks a ton... I hadn't even thought of that as re-bar, but that does make sense.

-E.
Old November 30th, 2009, 04:48 AM

pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby!

With a topic title like that, how could I not click??

Customs ain't half bad either, by the way.
Old November 30th, 2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
With a topic title like that, how could I not click??

Customs ain't half bad either, by the way.
Thanks!

I saved the images at a smaller file size and re-uploaded them. Hope that's better for everyone.

-Khen.
Old November 30th, 2009, 06:34 PM
<>character<>

LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Yah Duct Tape
Old November 30th, 2009, 07:07 PM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!

I actually really like the bridge. I think it would look good over a moat to get to a glyph hidden in the ruins on an island.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles