Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old May 31st, 2007, 03:41 PM
Arbiter of Peace

Ketch is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Man, for some reason reading about this is very interesting.
I almost want to try this myself..

::Nathan Hoel::
Old May 31st, 2007, 04:24 PM

player_of_volleyball Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketch
seconded

i alomost got this one thing before, it was like a little fish tank but it has a tadpole or two in it and you just watch them grow up into frogs.

I think that this is cooler though.

Yes, finally new and better elves to improve my already thick ranks of elves.

Elves shall prevail!
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:22 PM

GForce3062 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by player_of_football
Quote:
seconded

i alomost got this one thing before, it was like a little fish tank but it has a tadpole or two in it and you just watch them grow up into frogs.

I think that this is cooler though.
Yeah, reading this makes me want to get an ant farm.

Old May 31st, 2007, 06:29 PM
Arbiter of Peace

I tried telling a co-worker about this, and when I started with "This guy has an ant farm.." he laughed at me.

If they read this though, I know they would be interested as well.

Old May 31st, 2007, 07:16 PM
Messy Eater

Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby!
Keep the updates coming, this is very cool and very well-written. Thanks for sharing this.

I gotta get one of these now!! LOL
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:34 PM
Assuming the Missionary Position

Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby!
Sadly I want one too. God I can see it already... "Hey Ketch I'll trade you my Southern American Fire Ant for you Eastern European Razor Ant!"

*All ants were made up for personal use in this fictitious future scenario*

Drumline3469 is Doc Brown...
aboard <<<Oblivion>>> ...
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:54 PM
Arbiter of Peace

Hahaha... For me, it would probably evolve... or.. devolve into making two ant colonies war on eachother like someone had suggested earlier.

The one thing that bugs me about this is the gel. It seems like a large interesting part of watching ants has been taken away because their entire home is their food and water. They don't HAVE to go anywhere.

I would like to use dirt, but I was wondering how I would give them water. Food is easy, but how would you give them water?

Old June 1st, 2007, 03:29 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
The one thing that bugs me about this is the gel.

That's pretty funny...
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:11 PM

monkeyfish has disabled reputation
I would like to get one, but my cat would kill them being the hunter she is.

Captain Qwark for President 08'
Old June 2nd, 2007, 03:16 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Update

The new fledgling colony seems well. The young new queen has her own chamber where she is tended by the few ants that came along the journey with her. These few have managed to expand the main tunnels to accomodate her girth and add several more avenues to the surface.

I can't tell if she's laying eggs at this point. My research has said that when a new queen burrows for the first time, she lays enough eggs for herself to care for and then expands each subsequent brood as labor provides. It is estimated that less than 1% of new queens make it. I'm hoping a controlled environment is enough to overcome this, but so far I'm oh-fer-one.

Nothing much else to report beyond that. The ants exclusively stick to one tank (B, the one with the entrance below the connecting tube). Assuming she began laying eggs immediately, the new eggs should reach pupae stage (little, white booger things) in another 2-3 days. From there it's two more weeks until they're larvae (legless, white ants). About another week after that and I'll have my first mature ant born in captivity.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:55 PM

jenadke has disabled reputation
I was interested and did some googling and the general consensus is that this gel stuff is honey, multivitamins, water, and store gelatin boiled together. Get those dissolving vitamin capsules that you can break open. Follow the gelatin instructions, but add the multivitamin capsules and the honey to the boiling water.

You could possibly add preservatives to keep it from molding longer, dunno how that does to the ant diet...

If you're particularly cruel/curious, you can pour the mixture as it starts to gel back into the tank so that it solidifies with ants in place. Watch them eat their way out (can they?).
Old June 4th, 2007, 06:48 PM

Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby!
Very interesting, Velenne. I've never heard of anyone succeeding with fire ants in an Ant Farm of any kind. I tried a few times when I was a kid, but they never worked anywhere near as well as the less.. uh... dangerous ones that you can mail order.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General