Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old January 1st, 2018, 03:34 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post

My wife actually does have competitiveness. I suspect that might be the reason that she doesnt like Pandemic. I don't think that cooperative is her thing. She needs to whoop up on someone.

I really do think that I will give Splendor a try sometime in the near future. Or should I go with Century Spice Road? I have heard it compared to Splendor many times. And for me, CSR looks and sounds more appealing. Do any of you have any experience with CSR? Which would you prefer? Splendor does have the advantage of being less expensive though.
I've played Century Spice Road a couple times and like it. I may like it a little more than Splendor. Actually, last Thursday, I played Majesty: For the Realm, by the same designer of Splendor. I liked it a good bit too. Something else you might want to look into. Check out videos of that, Splendor and Century Spice Road and have your wife give input on what she'd prefer. While they are all different enough to have all of them in a collection for big time game collectors like several of my friends, if you are only going to get one for now, you should probably have your wife help make the choice
I do love the medieval theme so I will definitely check out Majesty: For the Realm. And IF I can get my wife to help with the choice, I'll do just that. That is a big if though

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old January 1st, 2018, 08:20 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Played Splendor once. I liked it.

Played CSR many times, I now own it, and I still like it. The thing that CSR has going for it is that it is sooo easy to pick up and understand how to play. Plus it has an appeal to non-gamers as well as gamers. I know in my circles it's been a hit with the spouses and parents that do not game. My two cents.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old January 1st, 2018, 10:14 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Just completed Pandemic Legacy Season 1 February and March with the wife! After an extremely difficult January in which we barely won the 'late' game, it was nice to have two months go relatively smoothly, winning both on the first try. It'll be interesting to see how April goes with 0 Funding...

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old January 2nd, 2018, 10:08 AM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
My wife seems to have taken to Splendor so we will probably play that. She set the family resolution of weekly game nights and we alternate selecting games and she promised not to grumble so we will get her to play heroscape again...probably a lot of Hoss/Star Wars coming up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Glad your wife likes Splendor If my wife liked any games, I'd play them anytime she wanted, but she is total non-gamer.
I can relate to the wife situation. I have finally found a game that my wife likes too. I was off work this past week and had recently received Kingdom Builder in the mail. I talked her into playing it with me and she really liked it. We have played several games over the past few nights. And that's saying a lot considering she doesnt usually like any of my games. We tried Pandemic recently, for example, and she didn't care for it at all. There have been many others as well. I'm not sure what it is about Kingdom Builder that clicks with her but I'll take it.

I think that I better hurry and get some expansions for Kingdom Builder before she gets bored with it, and maybe I need to give Splendor a try too
-
-
-
I'm blessed to have a wife who really does enjoy games and is definitely competitive. We own both Splendor and Century: Spice Road and enjoy them both. They are often compared to each other, but I find they each do things differently enough to each have a place. They are both lighter, shorter games that are accessible, easy to teach and can appeal to gamers and non-gamers alike. They even come in the same size box, have a similar production quality, and the themes are equally "meh", but what they do, they do well and elegantly even, and if you like this weight of game, they are both very replayable.

When introducing games to someone I try to mix up the types of games until I find one that clicks with that person. My wife played a lot of Heroscape with me and was a good sport about it, even participating in tournaments with me, but it wasn't her favorite kind of game to play. When I would try similar games like X-Wing Miniatures Game or Summoner Wars she would play them, but she wasn't really engaged and never requested them. She has a knack for identifying and exploiting efficiencies in games and she is very good at and really enjoys engine building games from deck building like Dominion and Ascension to worker placement like Lords of Waterdeep and Viticulture. She also likes puzzles a lot and Patchwork and Karuba have been hits in our house.

I say all this just as an observation as I've put different games on the table for my family and friends and many hit and some don't. It's fun to see what different people get and enjoy. I've never played Kingdom Builder so I can't speak to what could be a similar next game to move to from there, but if you can figure out what your wife really likes about it, it could help in figuring out a next good game.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 10:46 AM

Dhaphaos rolls all skulls baby! Dhaphaos rolls all skulls baby! Dhaphaos rolls all skulls baby! Dhaphaos rolls all skulls baby!

Currently Arena of the Planeswalkers plus expansions (a little late I know). It was an unexpected xmas gift and kind of re-sparked my Heroscape interest.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 12:57 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Gaming 2017

I'm definitely an Ameritrash player to the core. I play a lot of card games because they are quicker typically than other games.

1. Pathfinder ACG - (63 plays) Still enjoying this after all these years.
2. Magic the Gathering - (46) My son likes playing. I still enjoy it but have found other games that scratch the same itch and I like better.
3. Spot it - (44) The family game of choice. My 5 year old loves this one.
4. Lotr LCG - (42) My go to solo game. This game is still great.
5. Ashes - (39) Just discovered this game this last year. I like it way better than magic and my oldest daughter really digs it.
6. Hero Realms - (38 ) I like the theme way better than Star Realms. Plus the solo campaign aspect is just awesome.
7. Apocrypha - (26) Another take on Pathfinder ACG but with a modern(ish) day approach.
8. Aventuria ACG - (22) Another take on the ACGs. I like this one because there is a slight RPG aspect.
9. Epic - (21) Another game I just discovered this year and like better than Magic.
10. Marvel Legendary (19) Never been a big fan because I feel like the game doesn't define some mechanics well but my son loves it and it is super heroes so...
10. Heroscape (19) The Greatest Game of All Time!!
12. Descent (17) The greatest dungeon crawl of all time.
13. Dragon Dice (15) 4 Time World Champion, that's right 4 time. This would see more play if there were more people that played it locally. All my guys are tired of losing...sigh....World Champion Problems

9 plays each
-Dragonfire - The jury is still out. Not a huge fan of the leveling system but I haven't played with any of the expansions yet. I'm hoping they help.

8 plays each
-One Deck Dungeon - Great quick little dungeon delving game
-Myth - An unpolished but still fun dungeon crawl / story game

6 plays each
-Arcadia Quest - My family enjoys this with the pets expansion. Biggest complaint is the set up and tear down time.

5 plays each
-Forbidden Island - My go to introduction to non-gamers game.
-Xenoshyft - Tower defense type game. Play it on the ipad a lot more.

4 plays each
-Batman Love Letter - Like Love Letter but with Batman!
-Sword and Sorcery - Really enjoying this dungeon crawl. Just a lot of set up and tear down involved.
-Massive Darkness - Killing monsters and looting in great fun. Unfortunately the campaign doesn't seem to work that well.
-Brave Rats - Fun little card game for 2 players.

3 plays each
-X-Wing - Sigh, Just did not like the direction the game was going with all the errata and FAQ. Plus I was going to have to sell a kidney to keep up with it price wise.
-Dominion - This surprised me, this is my wife's favorite game. But this year has been surprisingly busy.
-Kingdom Death Monster - I like the idea, but definitely not the art or theme
-Battle Masters - Childhood Nostalgia!
-Marvel Codenames - Good party style game.
-Legacy of Dragonholt - Choose your own adventure style game. RPG light. I'm actually enjoying it.

2 plays each
-Sheriff of Nottingham - Fun bluffing game. Needs to hit the table more often!
-Heroquest - The annual Father's Day gaming with the kids!
-Sorry - My kids like it.
-Space Hulk Death Angel - Captures the Space Hulk universe well. Good game too!
-Thunderstone - Still enjoy pulling this one out from time to time.
-Mistfall - Fun adventure card game but can get very mathy.
-Arkham Horror LCG - The game is almost to the point where I feel like I can make a few decent decks. I haven't played it much because I really don't like the quality of cards for some of the heroes.
-Unlock - Involves a lot of thinking.
-Dark Souls - Hard game and a bit long, but decent.
-Darkest Night - Just needs minis and it would be great.
-Lost Legends - This one got bad reviews and I thought the game was actually decent overall.

1 play each
-Chess - I usually play my brother once a year over the holidays.
-Tokaido - No thanks.
-Quicksand - Fun little race to the end game.
-Flash Point - Fireman Coop game.
-Dungeon Roll - Push your luck with a dungeon theme
-Gruff - A Goat card combat game. Pretty cool actually!
-Forbidden Desert - Similar to Forbidden Island but much harder.
-Carcassonne - Have some Euro neighbors...sigh
-Yggdrasil - I remember when I lost all the time in this game. Now I win all the time so it isn't a fun.
-Defenders of the Realm - Better than Pandemic.
-Claustrophobia - A great 2 player dungeon crawl.
-King of Tokyo - Another great gateway game.
-Too Many Bones - I think this is the one game that I'm kicking myself the most for not buying at Gen Con.
-Welcome to the Dungeon - Push your luck game.
-Colt Express - Fun screw your neighbor game.
-Qwirkle - The kids like it.
-Dresden Files Card Game - Played with Raider30. The game was fine but I never got into the Dresden files so the theme was lost on me.
-Devastation of Indines - I got walloped but it was fun.
-Cards of Cthulhu - I liked this game solo. Not sure how it would do with multiplayer.
-Hoplomachus - I liked the theme and mechanics quite a bit but I'm still not sold on the whole poker chip thing.
-Temple of Elemental Evil - DnD dungeon crawl. It was a lot harder than I remember from when I used to play these all the time.
-Mage Wars - Still love this game but it takes way too long. Ashes seems to scratch the same itch.
-Legend of the 5 Rings - Not a fan.
-Star Wars Minis - The annual daughter birthday game.
-Sentinels of the Multiverse - This is a very misleading number. I probably play this minimally 3 times a week on my ipad. Best superhero game out there IMHO.
-Imperial Assault - The app has breathed new life into this!

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; January 2nd, 2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 07:37 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Thank you @rym and @rudyvalentine for you imput.

I will try and see if she can express to me exactly why this game clicked with her and the others did not. I really want to find more games that she likes.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 07:38 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Gaming 2017

I'm definitely an Ameritrash player to the core. I play a lot of card games because they are quicker typically than other games.

1. Pathfinder ACG - (63 plays) Still enjoying this after all these years.
2. Magic the Gathering - (46) My son likes playing. I still enjoy it but have found other games that scratch the same itch and I like better.
3. Spot it - (44) The family game of choice. My 5 year old loves this one.
4. Lotr LCG - (42) My go to solo game. This game is still great.
5. Ashes - (39) Just discovered this game this last year. I like it way better than magic and my oldest daughter really digs it.
6. Hero Realms - (38 ) I like the theme way better than Star Realms. Plus the solo campaign aspect is just awesome.
7. Apocrypha - (26) Another take on Pathfinder ACG but with a modern(ish) day approach.
8. Aventuria ACG - (22) Another take on the ACGs. I like this one because there is a slight RPG aspect.
9. Epic - (21) Another game I just discovered this year and like better than Magic.
10. Marvel Legendary (19) Never been a big fan because I feel like the game doesn't define some mechanics well but my son loves it and it is super heroes so...
10. Heroscape (19) The Greatest Game of All Time!!
12. Descent (17) The greatest dungeon crawl of all time.
13. Dragon Dice (15) 4 Time World Champion, that's right 4 time. This would see more play if there were more people that played it locally. All my guys are tired of losing...sigh....World Champion Problems

9 plays each
-Dragonfire - The jury is still out. Not a huge fan of the leveling system but I haven't played with any of the expansions yet. I'm hoping they help.

8 plays each
-One Deck Dungeon - Great quick little dungeon delving game
-Myth - An unpolished but still fun dungeon crawl / story game

6 plays each
-Arcadia Quest - My family enjoys this with the pets expansion. Biggest complaint is the set up and tear down time.

5 plays each
-Forbidden Island - My go to introduction to non-gamers game.
-Xenoshyft - Tower defense type game. Play it on the ipad a lot more.

4 plays each
-Batman Love Letter - Like Love Letter but with Batman!
-Sword and Sorcery - Really enjoying this dungeon crawl. Just a lot of set up and tear down involved.
-Massive Darkness - Killing monsters and looting in great fun. Unfortunately the campaign doesn't seem to work that well.
-Brave Rats - Fun little card game for 2 players.

3 plays each
-X-Wing - Sigh, Just did not like the direction the game was going with all the errata and FAQ. Plus I was going to have to sell a kidney to keep up with it price wise.
-Dominion - This surprised me, this is my wife's favorite game. But this year has been surprisingly busy.
-Kingdom Death Monster - I like the idea, but definitely not the art or theme
-Battle Masters - Childhood Nostalgia!
-Marvel Codenames - Good party style game.
-Legacy of Dragonholt - Choose your own adventure style game. RPG light. I'm actually enjoying it.

2 plays each
-Sheriff of Nottingham - Fun bluffing game. Needs to hit the table more often!
-Heroquest - The annual Father's Day gaming with the kids!
-Sorry - My kids like it.
-Space Hulk Death Angel - Captures the Space Hulk universe well. Good game too!
-Thunderstone - Still enjoy pulling this one out from time to time.
-Mistfall - Fun adventure card game but can get very mathy.
-Arkham Horror LCG - The game is almost to the point where I feel like I can make a few decent decks. I haven't played it much because I really don't like the quality of cards for some of the heroes.
-Unlock - Involves a lot of thinking.
-Dark Souls - Hard game and a bit long, but decent.
-Darkest Night - Just needs minis and it would be great.
-Lost Legends - This one got bad reviews and I thought the game was actually decent overall.

1 play each
-Chess - I usually play my brother once a year over the holidays.
-Tokaido - No thanks.
-Quicksand - Fun little race to the end game.
-Flash Point - Fireman Coop game.
-Dungeon Roll - Push your luck with a dungeon theme
-Gruff - A Goat card combat game. Pretty cool actually!
-Forbidden Desert - Similar to Forbidden Island but much harder.
-Carcassonne - Have some Euro neighbors...sigh
-Yggdrasil - I remember when I lost all the time in this game. Now I win all the time so it isn't a fun.
-Defenders of the Realm - Better than Pandemic.
-Claustrophobia - A great 2 player dungeon crawl.
-King of Tokyo - Another great gateway game.
-Too Many Bones - I think this is the one game that I'm kicking myself the most for not buying at Gen Con.
-Welcome to the Dungeon - Push your luck game.
-Colt Express - Fun screw your neighbor game.
-Qwirkle - The kids like it.
-Dresden Files Card Game - Played with Raider30. The game was fine but I never got into the Dresden files so the theme was lost on me.
-Devastation of Indines - I got walloped but it was fun.
-Cards of Cthulhu - I liked this game solo. Not sure how it would do with multiplayer.
-Hoplomachus - I liked the theme and mechanics quite a bit but I'm still not sold on the whole poker chip thing.
-Temple of Elemental Evil - DnD dungeon crawl. It was a lot harder than I remember from when I used to play these all the time.
-Mage Wars - Still love this game but it takes way too long. Ashes seems to scratch the same itch.
-Legend of the 5 Rings - Not a fan.
-Star Wars Minis - The annual daughter birthday game.
-Sentinels of the Multiverse - This is a very misleading number. I probably play this minimally 3 times a week on my ipad. Best superhero game out there IMHO.
-Imperial Assault - The app has breathed new life into this!
Ya gotta get those Epic plays up! Forget Ashes!

Also, have you tried the Game of Thrones LCG? It's my (new) favorite card game.
Old January 5th, 2018, 11:12 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Hey, all. I'm looking for a recommendation for a very particular thing: a cooperative game that can be played online, multi-platform. Any suggestions?

As for what I've been playing lately, my father visited over the kids' Christmas break. I showed him Century, the Golem Edition, and he loved it. Over his visit we also played his old favorite Ticket to Ride, and also Bohnanza and something else at the tip of my brain but I can't remember what it was.

On our trip to New York I finally bought Sushi Go, which was a *huge* hit. We also played the heck out of Say Anything, because it's that kind of crowd, and AEG's Straw.

Anyway. Any suggestions for a cooperative 2 player game that can be played online and multi-platform?

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old January 5th, 2018, 11:32 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Smile Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Hey, all. I'm looking for a recommendation for a very particular thing: a cooperative game that can be played online, multi-platform. Any suggestions?

As for what I've been playing lately, my father visited over the kids' Christmas break. I showed him Century, the Golem Edition, and he loved it. Over his visit we also played his old favorite Ticket to Ride, and also Bohnanza and something else at the tip of my brain but I can't remember what it was.

On our trip to New York I finally bought Sushi Go, which was a *huge* hit. We also played the heck out of Say Anything, because it's that kind of crowd, and AEG's Straw.

Anyway. Any suggestions for a cooperative 2 player game that can be played online and multi-platform?
Trip to New York? Maybe you can come again to play with us in Brooklyn.

Old January 6th, 2018, 12:41 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Heh heh. That sounds great, but it's not a suggestion for the thing I was looking for.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old January 6th, 2018, 08:47 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

***Happy New Yeark 2018!***

What a month...

The Star Trek Ascendancy Borg Assimilation Expansion has landed.

WE ARE THE BORG! BROOKLYN WILL BE ASSIMILATED!
SALES RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!

Also just arrived: Cry Havoc Aftermath Expansion. Both to be played next Wednesday on Science Fiction Gaming Day.

Just ordered: 878 Vikings: Invasions of England (Academy Games) and due next week.

And the first container ship just docked in Savannah, Georgia carrying Rising Sun! (due in February).

Playing now, the just collected two Kickstarter Exclusive scenarios for Commands & Colors Tricorne American Revolution.

Last edited by chas; January 7th, 2018 at 05:40 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games