Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old August 11th, 2010, 01:04 PM

Vishha Woo who?
My Heroscape Commercial

About a year ago I made a Heroscape commercial for a class of mine. A lot of my classmates liked it, but I need more feedback from the actual targeted market on my experimented commercial. Let me know what you think and how I could make it better. Because I am getting a new camera that is HD and planning to redo it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1widinx_ng
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:15 PM

winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: My Heroscape Commercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishha View Post
About a year ago I made a Heroscape commercial for a class of mine. A lot of my classmates liked it, but I need more feedback from the actual targeted market on my experimented commercial. Let me know what you think and how I could make it better. Because I am getting a new camera that is HD and planning to redo it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1widinx_ng
OMG! You got Soundwave to voice your commercial?!

The commercial was pretty good, but since you were looking for ways to make it better, here are my ideas:

Lighting was a little dark in areas

Show off the modular system (not sure how)

Maybe show come combat dice being thrown around and then holding a figure, knock another figure off the board. (Makes the game feel a lil more action packed)

The fog effect and background was very cool.

Good Luck!

Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Q9...

Check out my
customs, maps and mods!

Trades Here.
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:25 PM

Vishha Woo who?

Actually, the narrator was my voice just with audio mixing!

I agree with you. The lighting was too dark so I am gonna fix that. I actually am going to have a dark back drop. Because when I recorded the commercial I did it in my basement without a back drop so I made the lighting dark, which I think was a mistake.

I definitely agree by showing more action by having the figures being held on someone's hand or knocked down after losing a dice roll. Do you think I could pull this off with young adults or should I find young teenagers or children to play that part?
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:33 PM

winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I figured it was you with an audio mixer, it just sounded alot like Soundwave.

As for the age of the actors, I think it depends on your target audience. I don't know if this is for a class or what your purpose is, but if you have a target audience, shoot for that. If you are marketing to kids (to be shown on commercials during Batman) then have ages 8-10.

If you are marketing towards adults (to be shown during Robot Chicken or something) get some older people.

I caution you with adults though, because although we all know Heroscape is an advanced game with very adult strategies, adults will look pretty silly in a commercial playing Heroscape getting excited and fist pumping after smoking Q9.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just be careful while you are doing it.

Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Q9...

Check out my
customs, maps and mods!

Trades Here.
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:45 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Winonavampire is spot on - you're better sticking with kids.

You could do the family scene but if you do, then it's the dad that needs to be crushed by one of the rest of the players.

At least that's how it seems to work in my house.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.
Old August 11th, 2010, 03:35 PM
SLAYER OF GRUNGEBOB

Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I found it hard to understand you in parts and when you showed the minis at the beginning you went across to fast, I myself if seeing it on TV would prefer to see the minis more clearly if I were looking to buy a game. Also, your lighting wile adding affect, also seemed to make the game look small, a large one theme map with all different themed characters would be better. I do like the variety, and the castle door part though, but the part where you go through smoke and it shows the game, there should still be smoke in the background.
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:27 PM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!

You should have a selling point to hit, for example:
It's a family game.
It's simple, but has a large amount of depth
Large Community

Then you focus on that. If I understood your speaking correctly, your selling point was that it was an epic game of epic battles. Which is a great theme, but it needs to connect to the consumer.

Good luck!

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Gluing The Mask On This Time...

Scapemaster rolls all skulls baby! Scapemaster rolls all skulls baby! Scapemaster rolls all skulls baby! Scapemaster rolls all skulls baby!

It was very epic, and I liked the lack of actors, as it doesn't target a specific group, unlike the actual commercials, which made it seem like a little kids game.

If you could be less fleeting with the images and show more of what scape offers, it would be more appealing, as well as how the game actually works.

~Those who live by the dice, die by the dice.
Old August 12th, 2010, 09:50 AM

ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I agree with all the comments so far. Think clearly about your target audience whilst highlighting the appeal of the game. Why not start with one piece of terrain and then in sped-up stop-motion create a large and detailed map, then quickly populate it and finish the shot with your players gathering around looking excited by what's just 'appeared' from a single block (hope that makes sense)? Maybe pan across different maps of terrain to highlight the variety, and then finish with a shot of boxed sets of terrain and figs as eye candy with your "available at game stores" legend written over it.

One main comment however, the voice over and music need some work - sorry to say. Perhaps less Soundwave and more Drake Alexander, if you follow my drift. I really liked your lighting and mist effects, and your shot into the door of the castle looked neat.

I like some of the comments around displaying 'battling' figs getting killed - gives the game a dynamic feel that shows it to be more exciting and fun than a 'serious' game of Warhammer.

Do you remember the old He-Man commercials of the 80's? Check out Youtube and you'll see how they often were episodic and told a story across the release of new toys. Maybe you could do a couple of commercials depicting an ongoing battle, or a journey of hero figs across the 'stages' of Mastersets and associated terrain.

And there's always the over-the-top option of telling the story of the Generals, especially that all round bad guy Utgar - maybe via an episodic style of "What will our heroes do next?".

But hey - I haven't made a commercial, so take my comments for what they are - ideas from a lazy man who's happy to let you do the hard work! Keep up your good work regardless...

Oz

Betty or Veronica...?
Old August 12th, 2010, 12:00 PM

Vishha Woo who?

I like all the comments. I will definitely take up most of your feedback when remaking this commercial. My reason behind remaking this commercial is to use it as a good portfolio piece. Other than that I also like Heroscape and games so this will not be my only video piece on gaming that I will do. Thanks for your opinions.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion